• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
King_Ponting said:
Have u checked how often he has bowled?
If he were any cop, wouldn't he actually be bowling more than 3 balls a game or whatever it is?

If he's part of the making-up 10 this summer then there's a big chink in the armour.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Just because he doesn't bowl much in domestic cricket doesn't mean he is useless. And he's been bowling a little more recently - he actually had the best FC average in Australia last season ahead of Bracken with a couple of wickets in a game towards the end. He bowled in an ODI against NZ and I thought he looked pretty handy in a McMillan/Ganguly sort of way.
But a list-A eco of over 6.5 is a very telling figure.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
King_Ponting said:
Australia defeated by a first class side after posting 342.......... F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not just that, but the county team was resting it's only 3 good seamers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Adamc said:
Two county sides. Two and a half, really. This tops it though, no team's ever successfully chased that many before, let alone against Australia. If Lee is indeed injured, surely Tait will be in serious consideration? I hope so.
How will one not in the squad be in consideration?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
He bowled four overs! I can't believe the Aussie mentality would ever tolerate losing in such a manner solely to give Mike Hussey a bowl. God, I'm loving typing this.
What was it some learned Australians said about them emulating the invincibles?

pskov

International 12th Man
Just heard on TV that Lee felt a sharp pain in his shoulder in the final over of his spell and he and Ponting agreed he shouldn't bowl out. Beyond that they know nothing until he has it scanned..

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Not just that, but the county team was resting it's only 3 good seamers.
Yes but England won't have Smith and Jayasuriya in their ranks.. You can't read much into these games, as heartening as they might be for England fans..

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Yes but England won't have Smith and Jayasuriya in their ranks.. You can't read much into these games, as heartening as they might be for England fans..
England won't have Hildreth, either, and he won Somerset the game :D

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
England won't have Hildreth, either, and he won Somerset the game :D
When was that decided? Why was I not informed? How dare they not pick a player of such blindingly obvious world-beating talent? The man scored a mighty 38 not out against Australia AND hit 210 against Bangladesh U19 last year - why isn't he being considered? :D :goof:

On a serious note, I certainly wouldn't mind if he was fast-tracked into the ODI squad when a spot becomes available. Throw him in at the deep end, see if he floats - he certainly handled the pressure very well today, and was obviously not overawed by playing against Australia. I'm not saying this summer, but maybe in the winter he could be thrown in at the expense of whoever's injured/not contributing.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
When was that decided? Why was I not informed? How dare they not pick a player of such blindingly obvious world-beating talent? The man scored a mighty 38 not out against Australia AND hit 210 against Bangladesh U19 last year - why isn't he being considered? :D :goof:

On a serious note, I certainly wouldn't mind if he was fast-tracked into the ODI squad when a spot becomes available. Throw him in at the deep end, see if he floats - he certainly handled the pressure very well today, and was obviously not overawed by playing against Australia. I'm not saying this summer, but maybe in the winter he could be thrown in at the expense of whoever's injured/not contributing.
Academy certainty. No more yet!

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Don't tell them that, the hype is really begining to grow, ohhh, the bigger they are.........

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think the Aussies would be too worried by this defeat (the 20/20 defeat was probably more humbling). After all, Somerset didn't lose it's first wicket until 197 and all of those runs were scored by two experienced and well established ODI and Test players, not Somerset locals. I would have been more worried had some local yokel smacked a blazing hundred or took 5-fer bugger-all.

I don't see how English fans could take too much heart from this result; strictly, yes it was a local side but it wasn't locals nor low-standard players who did the damage (quite the contrary).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
After all, Somerset didn't lose it's first wicket until 197 and all of those runs were scored by two experienced and well established ODI and Test players
indeed 2 top quality players. add to this that Lee went off the field after 4 overs, Gillespie didn't play. and Aussie Batsmen retired too.