• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Maybe Langer doesn't like him? :p

No, I think the reason is that Macgill has been released from play to go and appear for Somerset in a few games, so he's not currently in the Australian touring party and probably isn't at the ground.
Ahh... of course. Good thinking, didn't think of that.
Don't know why Hodge would be bowling when they're effectively 9 down and you've got four good bowlers to choose from. He's hardly going to impress the selectors by getting an edge from a tailender.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
They only released him yesterday didn't they?

Not sure really.
They released him, and he was driving to Taunton (Somerset). On the way, they called him to tell him that he can not play for Somerset, as planned, because the ECB requires overseas players to agree to play for a period not less than 3 weeks. He planned to play only until the end of the 4th Test.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
What do you reckon they`re having for lunch?

And, slightly more importantly, who should be the three pacemen for number four?

howardj

International Coach
Nnanden said:

And, slightly more importantly, who should be the three pacemen for number four?
Well, Kaspa's main claim to a spot is that he, even if not taking wickets, is economical. However, I think that he has been anything but economical in England so far. Given this, you may aswell choose Tait. They will both go for runs, I reckon. Therefore, you may as well choose the guy who you think is likely to take the most wickets.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nnanden said:

Well it's a decision of whether they should take a gamble on the youngster or the experienced player who has been somewhat out of touch. Either way it's a bit of a guess, so I'd say Tait, simply because he's young and doesn't have the penetration problems that Kasper is having (no jokes, guys! :D). But I know the selectors will pick Kasper

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
andyc said:
. Either way it's a bit of a guess, so I'd say Tait, simply because he's young and doesn't have the penetration problems that Kasper is having (no jokes, guys! :D).
Dude! Not in front of Jameette...

Slow Love™

International Captain
I wouldn't mess around with Tait at this crucial point, really. There's something to be said for being economical and offering some solid support to Lee, McGrath and Warne, and Kasper seems best for this purpose. I'd be surprised if this game was being treated as a genuine bowl-off between Kasper and Tait for a test spot.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
I think Gillespie should get another chance
He did a fine job with the drinks at Northampton yesterday - methinks he might have earned the job for the rest of the series.