• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
And not to mention the fact that not all turners are in the subcontinent... on turners away from the subcontinent he averages 19.86.
So only pitches that Giles takes wickets on a turner, if he doesn't take wickets then there not turners. Great work Richard that the best load of rubbish i read in a long time, made my morning. Bangladesh not tradition sub continent pitches the funnist thing i read in a long time...Rafique, Enmal Haque Jnr, Vettori look at their figures their

tooextracool

International Coach
age_master said:
a) England dont have any good spinners.
giles on a turner is definetly 'good'.

age_master said:
b) Wont produce any turning tracks anyway.
thats a bit wise, considering that last summer they produced some of the slowest turning wickets we've seen in england for a long long time.

tooextracool

International Coach
age_master said:
England will not produce a turner though, cause if they do Warne will dominate
and past performance suggests that warne will dominate regardless. as has already been said, if we produced turners, giles becomes far more of an attacking option.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
poor is a very exaggerated term, guys like langer, ponting & filly aren't great players of spin agreed, but we wont have turning pitches like over in the sub-continent & giles isn't anywehre has good has Mural, Harbhajan nor kumble so your point isn't justified
the point is not that if england produce turners they would somehow manage to win the series. its highly unlikely that they will even come close. but a turner severely weakens 3 australian batsmen, while the uneven bounce makes the england bowlers far more effective.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Any bowler on a turner is good, what makes a spinner good is when he does not have to rely on a turner to be effective.
whats your point?i havent claimed that giles is a 'good' bowler. ive claimed that hes more than capable of testing poor players of spin on a turner.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
Giles isnt a very big force on turners. His role certainly increases fromt hat of a stock bowler though.
then perhaps you'd like to explain how he took 5/67 against india on a slow turner in the 2nd test in india? or how he took 22 wickets at 22 against the WI last summer? or how he destroyed NZ at trent bridge? or perhaps how he took 17 wickets at 24 a piece in pakistan? or how he took 18 wickets at 29 a piece in SL?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Irrelevant.

If a bowler cannot do a half decent job on wickets he plays 95% of his game on, he is useless.
if hes more than capable of winning games on turners then he is fairly useful, especially if he was picked solely for that purpose.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree with TEC; Giles is pretty underrated by the vast majority. Unfortunately (for the Aussies), I think he's going to show just how good he is in the the Ashes series. Just got a feeling about it.

archie mac

International Coach
tooextracool said:
the point is not that if england produce turners they would somehow manage to win the series. its highly unlikely that they will even come close. but a turner severely weakens 3 australian batsmen, while the uneven bounce makes the england bowlers far more effective.
I imagine the 3 Austs. are Langer, Ponting and Gilly.
By the time Giles comes on Langer will either be out or on his way to a ton, look at his record once he reaches 80, almost always goes on to a big hundred.
Ponting I think gets out to spinners simply from over confidence, I think he might enjoy a challenge on a turning wicket.
Gilly also 'gives his wicket to spinners, mainly through trying to hit sixes. But if he stays in for an hour, comming in at 7 an hour is all he needs.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
as much as i'd like to be able to believe the english arguments that they'll provide a close series and that guys like Giles will be a threat i can't see it happening! it's all just hopeful talk.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
So how come these West Indian batsmen did not give their wickets away to him in the other 4 Tests on which he bowled (Sabina Park, Queen's Park Oval, Bridgetown and Old Trafford) against them that spring and summer? Isn't it rather a coincidence that they "gave their wickets away" on the turners and not on the non-turners?
Isn't it also a bit rich to say they gave their wickets away when you look at the number of wicket-taking deliveries he bowled?
The tracks at Trent Bridge, Lord's and Edgbaston last summer, meanwhile, turned from the first day - every bit as much as a typical subcontinent pitch, and I said from the first day of all 3 that Giles would be a handful.
And if the same thing happens against Australia this summer Giles will become a very potent strike-force.
first of all giles was going through a bad patch in the caribbean last winter even up to the final test against the kiwis where many where questioning his place in the England side, and the tracks in the caribbean where more helpful to the fast bowlers, come on didn't u watch the series it was the fast bowlers who had most effect for both WI & ENG.

Giles role in that series has it has been for most of his career was to contain, but because of his bad patch during that series, the ineffectiveness of his containing role wasn't missed has Harmison and rest ran havoc on the windies batsmen. I was their all 5 days here at Old Trafford and has was the case in the caribbean it didn't offer much assistance to the spinners.

he bowled wicket taking deliveries, yes........., but they were also many occasions where the WI batsmen gave their wickets away via bad shots, for E.G at the Old Trafford test in the second innings when WI had a 1st innings lead of 65 and Gayle & Sarwan were batting with so much ease, Vaughan intelligently set in out fields for Gayle & he hit Gilo right down to hoggard at long on, Sarwan & Mohammed were also out to poor stroke play and the amount of times he worked out dwayne bravo in the first two test with the tactic of bowling around the wicket to him & leaving the gap at mid-wicket & forcing him to play through the vacant gap had nothing to do with the turn in the pitch, that was inexperice, stupidity & good captaincy on Vaughan's part, their were also some rough decision towards the WI batsmen so the argument of Giles getting wickets via poor shots, wicket-taking deliveries & rough decisions by the umpire can go on and on.

and i totally disagree that were your theory that the pitches at those 3 venue's turned similary to sub-continent proportions no way. At trent bridge i dont recall Giles spinning the ball that much on day 1, the spin came more on the on day 4 when if u can recall he bowled around the wicket into the rough where there was assistance for him, Lord's had some turn but has is my point it cannot be compared to a typical Mumbai or Chennai pitch on day 1, neither was the case at edgbagston since the only spinner on view for the entire first day ``SARWAN`` barely extracted turn, the turn came more later in the test match.

His role could alter a bit, but you have to read between the lines the shots that the WI batsmen played were poor at times & the tactics Vaughan used againts them as to the one he used againts Bravo, he definately wont use againts Australia. You cant compare those pitches to sub-continent like pitches since they were not so much of similar to sub-continent proportions. So basically his role will be to contain, so i dont see how he will become a potent strike force in the series, you are the only one who has that idea

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I love how all this analysing of Giles performance can be done and we can take out his 'bad' tests, but when the same thing is done for MacGill you ridicule it.
excatly mate, i was just going to say the same thing, that analysis of Giles is pretty strange if one was to analyze MacGill like that he would twist his tongue

tooextracool

International Coach
archie mac said:
I imagine the 3 Austs. are Langer, Ponting and Gilly.
By the time Giles comes on Langer will either be out or on his way to a ton, look at his record once he reaches 80, almost always goes on to a big hundred..
except that giles will come on long before he reaches 80 on any wicket. and you can almost guarantee that giles will be on within the first 15-20 overs on a turner.

archie mac said:
Ponting I think gets out to spinners simply from over confidence, I think he might enjoy a challenge on a turning wicket.
not really, ponting gets out because he plays spinners with hard hands and is therefore poor against spin.

archie mac said:
Gilly also 'gives his wicket to spinners, mainly through trying to hit sixes. But if he stays in for an hour, comming in at 7 an hour is all he needs.
its the other way around, the number of times gilchrist has failed on a turner is innumerable. of course whenever he getsset he invariably gets a big score. for example, in 19 innings in SL and india gilchrist has 3 100s and 0 50s. so hes pretty much failed in his other 16 odd innings.

tooextracool

International Coach
Slats4ever said:
as much as i'd like to be able to believe the english arguments that they'll provide a close series and that guys like Giles will be a threat i can't see it happening! it's all just hopeful talk.
yet of course if you took the time to notice any one of the arguments, you'd realise that noone has given them a chance, let alone talked about a close series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
if hes more than capable of winning games on turners then he is fairly useful, especially if he was picked solely for that purpose.
A player can't make a career on being very good on 2% of the time and useless in 98%.

(Unless is Michael Clarke ;))

archie mac

International Coach
tooextracool said:
except that giles will come on long before he reaches 80 on any wicket. and you can almost guarantee that giles will be on within the first 15-20 overs on a turner.
I agree, I was reffering to all the Tests not just turners.

not really said:
I hardly think you can say a batsman who ave: in the mid 50s can be POOR against spin. otherwise other teams would bring on spinners as soon as he arrives at the crease. He only has hard hands at the start of an innings. (maybe nerves?)

its the other way around said:
Not playing in SL or India, Not facing same quality attack. Like I said give Gilly an hour and turner or not he will change the game.

Scallywag

Banned
tooextracool said:
its the other way around, the number of times gilchrist has failed on a turner is innumerable. of course whenever he getsset he invariably gets a big score. for example, in 19 innings in SL and india gilchrist has 3 100s and 0 50s. so hes pretty much failed in his other 16 odd innings.
Gilly has played 21innings in SL and India according to cricinfo.

13 in India with 1no and averaging 28.5 with 2 100's and a 49

8 in Sri Lanka with 2 no averaging 45.3 with 1 100 and 61* and 31*

Kumble and Harbhajan have taken his wicket the most but caught in the field is how he most often gets out.

Gilly has absolutely smashed Murali to the point where he is Murali's master.