• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
vic_orthdox said:
Once Joyce plays for England, is that it for him and Ireland?

It'd be good if they could make an exception (in the case that he's not in England's squad) for the 2007 World Cup, just to ensure that the Irish manage to be as competitive as possible.
I think if he plays for us & then thinks better of it he'd have to undergo a qualifying period for Ireland again. That's what's happened with Dougie Brown & Gavin Hamilton for yer Sweaties.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
I think if he plays for us & then thinks better of it he'd have to undergo a qualifying period for Ireland again. That's what's happened with Dougie Brown & Gavin Hamilton for yer Sweaties.
Then I reiterate the second part of my last post.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
vic_orthdox said:
Then I reiterate the second part of my last post.
Guess if you start making exceptions for one country you'd have to make them for them all.

It is a shame tho that good young prospects like Joyce have to represent another country to play cricket at the highest level. Hopefully in another generation they won't.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Guess if you start making exceptions for one country you'd have to make them for them all.

It is a shame tho that good young prospects like Joyce have to represent another country to play cricket at the highest level. Hopefully in another generation they won't.
Maybe you can make it a consistent exception for affiliate members?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
For me, Harmison looked most dangerous at Edgbaston and Lords, and Flintoff at Lords and Headingley. In fact, at Lords he was pretty much unplayable, and sent down one of the best spells of the series. Harmison as you say likes uneven bounce, but he also looked good when it was seaming at Lords. Jones will be much better when it's seaming, I think, and Hoggard obviously needs swing. Giles won't be a major factor in the tests, I don't think. The Australians will clearly target him, and if he's anything other than a 30+ average stock bowler I'll be shocked, and England need to be bowling Australia out regularly for sub-400 totals to win this series. The best bet, is a situation like Lords where they can get wicket which has some grass on it and seams a bit early on, and hopefully win the toss and send Australia in with it overcast and bowl them out for 250 or less.

What England definately don't want, is a flat wicket which breaks up and turns later in the match, like the last couple of ODI wickets. If there are five wickets like that and the weather stays good, Australia are quite capable of winning all the tests for mine. If it's seaming the whole way, it could go either way and though I'd still pick an Australian win I would expect it to be a close series.
I'd be surprised if Giles averages under 40.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
vic_orthdox said:
Maybe you can make it a consistent exception for affiliate members?
Yeah, possibly. Or allow players like Joyce to play for the country of their birth in ODIs & another in tests if their own country doesn't have test status.

Mister Wright

BoyBrumby said:
Yeah, possibly. Or allow players like Joyce to play for the country of their birth in ODIs & another in tests if their own country doesn't have test status.
But what if the team they are playing tests for want them to play ODIs for them aswell, it gets a bit confusing then...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Looks like Vaughanhas picked up a niggling injury too - here's a scenario. Both he and Pietersen are unavailable for the First Test. What's England's team? Butcher unfit, Key out of form etc. It'd be a big gamble, but I'd go for:

Trescothick
Strauss
Bell
Thorpe
Joyce
Flintoff
G Jones
Giles
Hoggard
S Jones
Harmison

Joyce looks a very good player.
If Vaughan and Pietersen both miss, I'd expect Key to return to the team, in form or not.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So, Pietersen it is. A brave call in some ways, although some would say it would have been braver to takle the flack from the press if they hadn't picked him.

Apparently Thorpe isn't forgetten, but it's hard to see a way back unless Bell or KP gets injured.

shaka

International Regular
Pieterson in the 12 for the first Ashes test! had to pick him because of his performances and the fact that Thorpe has been struggling with an injury.
Team is:
England squad Marcus Trescothick, Andrew Strauss, Michael Vaughan (capt), Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Flintoff, Geraint Jones (wk), Ashley Giles, Simon Jones, Matthew Hoggard, Steve Harmison, Chris Tremlett.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I'd be surprised if Giles averages under 40.

id be surprised if he took more than 10 wickets in the series, he will bowl alot of overs, and more than likley get hammered most f the time, lots of lefties in the Aussie team.

Mister Wright

wpdavid said:
But that won't matter if he allows the quicks to operate effectively in short bursts.
That may work against teams like South Africa and Sri Lanka, but it won't work against Australia. You need to put pressure on at one end, and Giles won't do that the Australian batsman will dominate him.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
I am going to the first days play at lords and am hoping too watch England getting off too a great start which is absoloutly vital they really cant afford too lose the first test

PY

International Coach
age_master said:
id be surprised if he took more than 10 wickets in the series, he will bowl alot of overs, and more than likley get hammered most f the time, lots of lefties in the Aussie team.
Didn't stop Brian Lara being comprehensively beaten several times. I'm not saying that Gile-o will set the world alight like Warne probably will but I think you underestimate at your peril.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Australia's XI for the tour match:

Justin Langer
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Damien Martyn
Simon Katich
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist
Jason Gillespie
Brett Lee
Michael Kasprowicz
Stuart MacGill

McGrath and Warne obviously rested for the first test as certainties, so it comes down to the other three to prove their form. I'd expect the selectors to with Lee and Gillespie regardless, but if Gillespie comes out wicketless and going at 4 an over, you never know.