• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When u thought that.......

C_C

International Captain
there were two games that i watched live that i thought were 'fixed' while the game was on..
The one was RSA game (with England ? or NZ ? not sure) where both teams declared their two entire innings....
The other was RSA-AUS semi final in 99.....Donald nearly runs himself out in the second last over or so....then 1 run required off 3 balls, Klusener takes a suicide single and Donald stays rooted in the crease.....looked really suspicious to me.
I know that several IND-PAK matches have been fixed before but i couldnt 'feel it' in the games...not that i can remember it right off the top of my head really.

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
The other was RSA-AUS semi final in 99.....Donald nearly runs himself out in the second last over or so....then 1 run required off 3 balls, Klusener takes a suicide single and Donald stays rooted in the crease.....looked really suspicious to me.
i find it hard to believe that anyone would fix a world cup semi final.
and really judging by cronje and klusener's reaction at the end of the game id be absolutely shocked if that were the case.

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Ditto Bdesh v Pakistan at Northampton in 99.
yep , id be astonished if that game wasnt fixed.
there were a few around that period too, for me the entire indi-pak test series in 98-99 comes under suspicion. there was also the one game in india where gibbs in the ind-SA series(which was part of the series that came under major scrutiny for match fixing so its extremely plausible), where they dropped gibbs about 10 times on his way to 70 odd.
throw in the zim v SA game in the 99 wc too.

howardj

International Coach
tooextracool said:
i find it hard to believe that anyone would fix a world cup semi final.
and really judging by cronje and klusener's reaction at the end of the game id be absolutely shocked if that were the case.
I wouldnt use the reaction of Hansie as any sort of reliable yardstick! :D

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Prince EWS said:
RE: NZ v SA

You all seem very confused on the subject.

New Zealand did in fact let South Africa get the bonus (or seemed to anyway...) but it wasnt so they would play South Africa in the final. It was so they could make the final themselves! The way it worked out, South Africa ended up one point ahead of NZ and Australia. NZ went through to the finals based on head to head with Australia. However, if SA hadnt got the bonus point, it would have been a 3-way tie on points, and NZ would have missed out due to a poor net run rate. If South Africa didnt get the bonus point, New Zealand would not have made the finals.
Thank you.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
last over or so....then 1 run required off 3 balls, Klusener takes a suicide single and Donald stays rooted in the crease.....looked really suspicious to me.
The SA players seem genuinely shattered to lose that game. I remember Cronje in tears being interviewed later. If he faked that he deserves an Oscar.

Anyway, don't you think there would be a more simple way to throw a match like that? After Warne's spell SA were virtually dead and buried, and after Elworthy was run out by McGrath's brilliant palm down on to the stumps they needed 16 off 10 with 1 wicket left or something. Why they would equal the scores and then throw it I don't know.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Bouncer said:
I have been very optimistic about cricket nd even when everyone was shouting match fixng about several games...i didnt think that way. But the reality is that MF did exist and was a part of cricket in 90's...
BS. The timing your post smacks of the thought that must bave been going through your mind when pakistan lost 2 quick wickets (both runouts).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
yep , id be astonished if that game wasnt fixed.
there were a few around that period too, for me the entire indi-pak test series in 98-99 comes under suspicion. there was also the one game in india where gibbs in the ind-SA series(which was part of the series that came under major scrutiny for match fixing so its extremely plausible), where they dropped gibbs about 10 times on his way to 70 odd.
throw in the zim v SA game in the 99 wc too.
Why dont you just shut up for GOOD. Whenever you open your mouth you speak utter rubbish and garbage mostly directed at Subcontinent.

What fooking proof do you have to say that Ind-Pak 1998-99 test series was fixed ? STFU.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
The SA players seem genuinely shattered to lose that game. I remember Cronje in tears being interviewed later. If he faked that he deserves an Oscar.
Cronje was a terrific actor. By saying that I dont suggest that the SA-Aus game was fixed.

Chubb

International Regular
When I saw the SA-AUS semi I thought it looked a bit odd, and although I doubt it was fixed you can see why people think it might have been. It was just so stupid but I reckon that was the high pressure situation telling on Klusener.
Cronje was a crook, pure and simple, and I think those Saffies who think he was a great guy should take a good hard look at what he did.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Bouncer said:
The game might have been fixed?

This is a question...people talk about match fixing alot, even now...when i think its pretty much gone...But my qs to u guys is that....While Watching a game, Did u ever feel that the particular game you are watching may be fixed???
whenever i see pakistan play

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Bouncer said:
I have been very optimistic about cricket nd even when everyone was shouting match fixng about several games...i didnt think that way. But the reality is that MF did exist and was a part of cricket in 90's...

The games where i thought SOMETHING WAS GOING ON, were

Pak Bdash, WC 1999

Then there were two games under Wasi Akrem in 1997, one of them nobody thought was fixed but poeple who saw the game would definitely tell you...that Pakistani Captain didnt seem too keen to win.....this game was played in Nov 19997 in Qadafi stadium Lahore....Pak batted first and scored 281...and SL chased those runsg with like 7-8 Wickets inhands....When Pak bowled it seemed like Akrem was fowloing a scrpit with his field change and was taking feild away from areas which were the trenth of both Jyasuria And Desilva.....and bowlers repeatedily kept on bwoling to areas where there was no fielders....it was soo aamzing that Javed Miandad who was Commentating would tell after seeing Akrem's field changes to the Audiance which shot Arvinda desliva was goingto play for almost whole part of his innings...it seemed like he was reading his mind.

The other game was the Sharjah Pak ENg game in dec.....i felt something was going onthere too.....Akrem Promoting himself in order and i still remember they way he was blocking the balls with Forward defensive strokes, bat absolutely together with Pad.....and shout "NO' or "wait" to his partners...and wuldnt even try to take singles.....something was definety going on there.
typical ****. any time pakistan loses, they fixed it. is it possible the **** team is not very good or is that a stupid suggestion

Swervy

International Captain
Gangster said:
typical ****. any time pakistan loses, they fixed it. is it possible the **** team is not very good or is that a stupid suggestion
well to be honest i dont think there is any doubt that the Pak v B'desh game was somewhat fixed..i was actually told that pakistan were going to lose that game before they tossed the coin..I know that doesnt prove much, but it gives an indication of what a lot of Pakistan fans here in the UK felt before that game

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
From all the indicators, dropping catches and al is fine...As a batsman, i would think its very difficult to play bad shots intentionally. But on the other hand its extremely difficult to judge, nigh impossible to say that which shot was bad judgement and which was otherwise.

Everyone knows that Pakistan have a reputation of being terribly dull on days, how'd u judge that it was one of those days or fixing.

In the same league, when Pakistan lost that match to bangladesh, South Africa also lost one to Zimbabwe. Both matches were inconsequential to these teams at the time, and I have always had my suspicions...

Duncan

U19 Debutant
Gangster, you are a hypocrite. One second you are saying every match Pakistan plays is a fixed, the next you are complaining at someone for saying that BD-Pakistan match was fixed.

C_C

International Captain
Well i am not making any claims to which matches WERE fixed and which matches wernt...
its all a grey area and unless you go align yourself with the dubai mafia group, you will probably never find out.
All i am saying is, while watchign the match, it sure did LOOK suspicious to me....
as per why go to all that trouble...well fixing rarely (if ever) involves all the playing XI and you do want it to be close to make it look less supicious....
Think conversely...perhaps it being a tied game and the semi finals is what made it a perfect fix, since so very few people will beleive it was a fix ?
:D :D :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
Why dont you just shut up for GOOD. Whenever you open your mouth you speak utter rubbish and garbage mostly directed at Subcontinent.

What fooking proof do you have to say that Ind-Pak 1998-99 test series was fixed ? STFU.
what proof do you have that any series is fixed?
no if you read my post, which you rarely ever do, before jumping to conclusions, you might realise that i used the words 'comes under suspicion'.
how many times do we have to go through the facts, everyone knows that all the money in cricket was and still is in the sub continent. you can try to hide it all you want, but that is fact. whether or not i can prove which game was fixed or not is irrelevant.
as far as bias is concerned, again, you must not read even a third of my posts if you thought i was being biased. probably ignore everytime that i criticise players outside the sub continent, and simply jump on the first chance you get when i criticise anything to do with the sub continent.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One unlikely NZ victory that in hindsind I do have my doubts about is.......

1) http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1993-94/PAK_IN_NZ/PAK_NZ_T3_24-28FEB1994.html

3rd test NZ v Pakistan 93-94

This was the series that Younis and Akram had been all over the NZ batsmen and Pakistan were 2-0 up going in the 3rd test.

NZ then needed around 330 to win the 3rd test in the 4th innings and were about 130-4. Then Akram and Younis started bowling absolute rubbish. Young and Thompson scored unbeaten hundreds (from memory) and NZ won by 5 wks.

It seemed very strange to me at the time how Akram and Younis had dominated the NZ'ers right through the series and then bowled completely different lines and lengths in this last innings. When I was watching Thompson and Young I was wondering why Younis had given up on the swinging yorker that had NZ batsmen in trouble the whole series to that point. Yet he didn't bowl it.

In hindsind and as soon as I heard about Match fixing in 1999-2000, I immediately thought of this match.

Does anyone out there remember this particular test??

Bouncer

State Regular
Remember that VERY VERY well....I was in my Final exams of 7th Grade...so it used to be my favorite activity to watch the first session of game before going to school..

That Particular game....I can not forget how Wasim and Waqar JUST FORGOT to bowl the Yorkers to both B Young and Thompson...and they way NZ batted, they made both Wasim and Waqar look like Indian Bowlers they faced one month before that series...It was very very surpriseing win for NZ for a **** fan....glad to see that someone from NZ remember that game for some doubts too......

and how about one of the ODI's in that series, which was really famous for being fixed....

remmeber that?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
what proof do you have that any series is fixed?
no if you read my post, which you rarely ever do, before jumping to conclusions, you might realise that i used the words 'comes under suspicion'.
how many times do we have to go through the facts, everyone knows that all the money in cricket was and still is in the sub continent. you can try to hide it all you want, but that is fact. whether or not i can prove which game was fixed or not is irrelevant.
as far as bias is concerned, again, you must not read even a third of my posts if you thought i was being biased. probably ignore everytime that i criticise players outside the sub continent, and simply jump on the first chance you get when i criticise anything to do with the sub continent.
Under Suspicion ?? and you got that from Scotland Yard directly, didn't you ??

Yes, Subcontinet has money and players from australia,england, SA are playing for free, aren't they ?? And no Indians are not trying to hide, It's only the Alec Stewarts, Mark Waughs of this world are trying to hide the money.

It is a crime to have the money, isn't it ?? You are a biased person, your subcontinent bias is there in almost every post you make about the subcontinet.