Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: England's Ashes hopes vs Australia's sure Ashes chances

aussie

well sppedking agreed on most points except two i dont think Bell is the best option his technique is pretty sound but i dont know if the lad is capable of handling Glenn and his mates with any degree of certainty, i know a lot of people are getting cocker hoop over KP performances, but i dont think he should be exposed & if he fails then people will talk down on him, but he will definety be in the middle order pretty soon since the ahses will most likely be thorpe last series. The best option for me is Butcher his past encounters with them will be so crucial to England.

I dont hink the main battle will be between Eng bowlers & AUS batsmen mate, the main one is ENG bats vs AUS magnificent bowlers, because its going to be though for our bowlers to hold the aussies down but if our bats can somehow negate the treat of the australian attack it will put pressure on their batsmen & that would give england a real chance, but we have to be honest mate i dont think england can win it this time

aussie

Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    i wouldnt be so sure, by the time the ashes in australia come around a lot of englands team will be reaching or at their very peak, where as australia will be at there best, it could well be a golden opportunity for england to take back the ashes, michael vaughn seems to see it that way anyway.
    yep right on mate, thats was my point, england wont have too much of a different side only thorpe might not be their while for australia we could probably see a change in the top order and the the Legendary McGrath & Warne will be great old stagers then, i think ashes down under could be extremely exciting & I for one think england have a better chance then than this time.

Banned
    "Having said that, i feel the main battle in this series is going to be between our bowler and the Aus batsmen. I beleive that Hoggy, Freddie and Gilo are going to hold their own all the way through the series and it is going to be tough for the Aussies, but if Harmy hits the straps early on and continues throughout, i dare say the Aus bowlers are not going to have much to bowl at."

I Disagree, I think ponting, Martn and Gilchrist will eat the english bowlers for breakfast. They aren;t that good, even when harmoinson was in form nz hit scores of 400 in the first innings without batting well. Australia will get much more plus they will score heaps in the 2nd innings too

U19 Vice-Captain
    If Austrailia pick up a couple of injuries and England play at their very best then they do have a chance they will need freddy on song and vaughan and Harmison back to their best if all this happens then england have a good chance. It is a long shot but not out of the question

2-1 for australia...
    the twenty 20 to england...

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psxpro
    "Having said that, i feel the main battle in this series is going to be between our bowler and the Aus batsmen. I beleive that Hoggy, Freddie and Gilo are going to hold their own all the way through the series and it is going to be tough for the Aussies, but if Harmy hits the straps early on and continues throughout, i dare say the Aus bowlers are not going to have much to bowl at."

I Disagree, I think ponting, Martn and Gilchrist will eat the english bowlers for breakfast. They aren;t that good, even when harmoinson was in form nz hit scores of 400 in the first innings without batting well. Australia will get much more plus they will score heaps in the 2nd innings too
    Wev'e established that you're unabled to talk objectively about England...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    why..should we be mourning the disapearance of a decent South African team or something
    I'd love to drum up the results of our last few encounters, where you were only given a hint of respectability by a South African in the first place... But of course, only Test cricket counts when England are doing well at it , so I wont bother..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I'd say it's a fair bet we'll take at least one test off The Crims, it's a long while since we haven't won at least one.

The sad fact is tho that we've only won one live test since 86/87 when the urn was still at stake. I'm hoping we can at least double that total this year (to 2 live wins overall, not 2 live wins in the series, think that's altogether too optimistic).

3-1 to the Aussies sounds about right.
    I really can't see England winning even 1 test (let alone drawing 1 unless rain comes into play).

Even though England did NZ 3-0 last year. New Zealand did manage reasonable first innings totals in every test, only to have their usual collaspe in the 2nd innings. Given what NZ batsmen achieved on last year tour and seeing the gap between Australia's batting and NZ's, I can't see the english bowling keeping Aussies under 500 in the first innings very often. The 2nd problem they have is they won't be facing the NZ bowlers, but instead Mcgrath, Glliispie, Lee or Kaspa and Warne.

I can see this being even more of a hiding than NZ got

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Well I've covered this ground before but if Giles, Tescothick and Harmison have good series, I think England may win it. Teams who've struggled against Australia have generally done so because they've got off to a bad start so they're behind in the game really quickly. The Aussies don't do anywhere near as well when the opposition get off to a good start. This is why the openers need to stand up because if a few wickets are down, it's much harder for the middle-order to come back.

Couple that with if Harmi takes a couple early and Giles then bowls well to the middle-order and you have the potential for a series win. I'm pretty optimistic of a series win for the Aussies but the English do have a good chance this time. That's IF their heavy schedule for the last year doesn't knock out a couple of injured players.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Well I've covered this ground before but if Giles, Tescothick and Harmison have good series, I think England may win it. Teams who've struggled against Australia have generally done so because they've got off to a bad start so they're behind in the game really quickly. The Aussies don't do anywhere near as well when the opposition get off to a good start. This is why the openers need to stand up because if a few wickets are down, it's much harder for the middle-order to come back.

Couple that with if Harmi takes a couple early and Giles then bowls well to the middle-order and you have the potential for a series win. I'm pretty optimistic of a series win for the Aussies but the English do have a good chance this time. That's IF their heavy schedule for the last year doesn't knock out a couple of injured players.
    Interesting that your rose-tinted classes lead you to that prediction....

One question please??

How many English players would make this Aust test side at the moment??

I would say a big fat zero !!!

How can you beat a team that is better player for player??

You are underestimating this Australia side big-time !!

IMO the greatest cricket side ever !!! With no obvious weaknesses

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    England's chances depend on Harmison and Flintoff with the ball in my view.

My tip as it was in the other thread is 3-1 to Australia.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

aussie

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    England's chances depend on Harmison and Flintoff with the ball in my view.

My tip as it was in the other thread is 3-1 to Australia.
    well faaip i got that same kinda result in my head either 3-1 or 4-1, if australia are dominant from the start of a series on past & recent evidence they tend to drop a test when the series has already been decided

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Interesting that your rose-tinted classes lead you to that prediction.
    Interesting that in your rush to be condescending, you didn't notice I'm an Aussie. To borrow an English term, you MUPPET.

One question please??

How many English players would make this Aust test side at the moment??
    A few at least; Harmison (not on form but when he was bowling well a few months back, absolutely), Thorpe, Strauss, Vaughan, Flintoff. I'm not talking on potential or ability either; on performance in the last two years, any of those guys would be good enough.

How can you beat a team that is better player for player??
    So what if the Aussies are a better side on paper? England in 1989 were a far superior side on paper yet they lost 4-0 and went through 29 players in the series trying to find players competitive with the Aussies. Players, no matter how good they are, must play as a team to win. The Aussies are doing just that and AS I SAID, I think they'll win but England will be very competitive.

IMO the greatest cricket side ever !!! With no obvious weaknesses
    As far as form goes, there are worries with Hayden and Michael Clarke but largely I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Interesting that in your rush to be condescending, you didn't notice I'm an Aussie. To borrow an English term, you MUPPET.

A few at least; Harmison (not on form but when he was bowling well a few months back, absolutely), Thorpe, Strauss, Vaughan, Flintoff. I'm not talking on potential or ability either; on performance in the last two years, any of those guys would be good enough.

So what if the Aussies are a better side on paper? England in 1989 were a far superior side on paper yet they lost 4-0 and went through 29 players in the series trying to find players competitive with the Aussies. Players, no matter how good they are, must play as a team to win. The Aussies are doing just that and AS I SAID, I think they'll win but England will be very competitive.

As far as form goes, there are worries with Hayden and Michael Clarke but largely I agree.
    Right u r....thought you were a pom.

But really who would Thorpe, Vaughan, Struass and Flintoff replace if avaliable for this aussie side??

thorpe <----> katich
    strauss <----> hayden
    flintoff <----> clarke
    vaughan <----> langer (or any of the above)

last of these probably most controversial, and langer doesn't deserve to be dropped, but i reckon that vaughan is a better player than langer...and probably a better captain than ponting (not saying that vaughan would captain australia).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information