• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist given out LBW...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Somebody may be able to confirm this, but I heard Gilchrist has never been given out LBW in a test in Australia. If this stats is true, it makes you wonder if for all the times he's been struck on the pad and the appeal has gone up in Aust that one was going to hit the timber??

I know Vettori alone had him twice plum in the recent series in Aust to no avail.

Seems like a strange stat if it is true.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yep that stat is true he has never been given out LBW at home, in his whole career he has only been give out LBW 7 times, all aganist spin bowlers. One was Tendulkar but i guess he was bowling spin. Maybe it has to do with walking and getting the rub of green when it comes to LBWs. But i think it is more to do with the fact that he doesn't pad often and he doesn't fall towards the off side (aki Langer). Ironcally he has only been bowled 13 times out of 80 (or 79, CricInfo has 79) dismisses. Most players that have low LBWs have high bowled, but not Gilchrist. I think that just shows u how good a batsmen he really is.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
It's true actually, although you can't argue umpire bias given that neutral umpires are used. Incompetence maybe, but not bias.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
This is true in tests, although fairly inconsequential in my view.

Regardless, he has been dismissed lbw 7 times, making up 8.8% of his test dismissals. These are: to Paul Wiseman for 7 at Eden Park in 2000, four consecutive times in India in 2001, three of those to Harbhajan and once to Sachin, once to Chandana and once to Murali in Sri Lanka in 2004. Amazingly, all seven of these lbws have been to spinners, showing perhaps a slight weakness in his game.

In ODIs he has been dismissed lbw 11 times, making up 5.6% of his dismissals. These are: to Adam Hollioake and Mark Ealham in England in 1997, to Heath Streak in Zimbabwe in 1998, to Courtney Walsh in the West Indies in 1999, to Neil Johnson of Zimbabwe at Lords in 1999, and then the first one in Australia to Shoaib Akhtar at the MCG in 2000, to Martin Suji in Kenya in 2002, to Mohammad Rafique at the SSG in 2002, then another in Australia to James Anderson at Bellrieve in 2003, then to Shane Bond at St. George's Park in the World Cup in 2003, then to Zoysa at the SSG again in 2004, which was the last time he was dismissed LBW.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Some other interesting stats are that out of the seven LBWs in his career six were when he was less then 10 (3 ducks and 2 ones). The other was his 144 aganist SL in Kandy last year. Also in his 13 bowled 11 were scores of under 50 and none of them included a century. It shows that his defences are hardly broken once he gets his eye in.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Some other interesting stats are that out of the seven LBWs in his career six were when he was less then 10 (3 ducks and 2 ones). The other was his 144 aganist SL in Kandy last year. Also in his 13 bowled 11 were scores of under 50 and none of them included a century. It shows that his defences are hardly broken once he gets his eye in.
Yep, that's a constant of Gilchrist. He's always a little shaky at first, but once he gets going he's virtually unstoppable until he's into triple figures and Australia have the game in hand.

C_C

International Captain
i find it odd that Gilly has never been lbw at home, given how many times he has been rapped on the pads.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
i find it odd that Gilly has never been lbw at home, given how many times he has been rapped on the pads.
He simply very rarely gets out lbw at all, and I've never seen him get hit on the pads much outside of the first few overs of his innings. Given that he has never been out lbw to a pace bowler, his only weakness in that regard seems to be playing back to spinners early in his innings and getting hit in front, a bit like Damien Martyn does. As was said earlier in the thread, once he gets into double figures he's only been out lbw once in his entire career.

C_C

International Captain
He simply very rarely gets out lbw at all, and I've never seen him get hit on the pads much outside of the first few overs of his innings. Given that he has never been out lbw to a pace bowler, his only weakness in that regard seems to be playing back to spinners early in his innings and getting hit in front, a bit like Damien Martyn does. As was said earlier in the thread, once he gets into double figures he's only been out lbw once in his entire career.
which is why i said its extremely odd....as Gilly does get iht on the pad..maybe not as much as others but to say he doesnt and none of them are valid shouts are...long odds....but interesting nonetheless....
wonder what hawkeye will have to say to that.

Zinzan

C_C said:
Exactly...thats basically my point. It is extremely odd that never in the umpires mind has gilchrist ever been hit in front in Australia. Even the Aussie commentators said two of Vettori's were plum in the Aust leg of the series. Thats just the recent NZ tests. I find it extremely hard to believe that he's never been struck in front in Australia against all the other countries that have played there.

My theory is that because Gilchrist is such a "big" wicket these days, umpires just feel the pressure too much to raise the finger. Whereas poor old Glenn Mcgrath for example didn't look like he was out today, but because he's a harmless no 11 he gets a bad call. Gilchrist would never get that sort of decision.

Eclipse

International Debutant
C_C said:
what are you talking about lol.. he is hardly ever rapped on the pads.. :wacko: 8-)

Eclipse

International Debutant
zinzan12 said:
Exactly...thats basically my point. It is extremely odd that never in the umpires mind has gilchrist ever been hit in front in Australia. Even the Aussie commentators said two of Vettori's were plum in the Aust leg of the series. Thats just the recent NZ tests. I find it extremely hard to believe that he's never been struck in front in Australia against all the other countries that have played there.

My theory is that because Gilchrist is such a "big" wicket these days, umpires just feel the pressure too much to raise the finger. Whereas poor old Glenn Mcgrath for example didn't look like he was out today, but because he's a harmless no 11 he gets a bad call. Gilchrist would never get that sort of decision.

those 2 where plumb but i can't think of any others.. and i've watched every test he's played in Australia...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
those 2 where plumb but i can't think of any others.. and i've watched every test he's played in Australia...
I can't remember anything either, and I would hazard a guess that I've watched every test he's ever played, excluding bits and pieces of the 2001 stuff when I didn't have Foxtel. Not that close lbw shouts stick in my mind for years or anything, but I can't remember anybody ever complaining about umpiring breaks Gilly got until this summer either.

Zinzan

Eclipse said:
Well i haven't watched every one of his tests in Aust, but I'm pretty sure Kaneria also had Gilchrist plum without success in the pakistan Tests. As I've said I find it hard to believe in all those other tests in Aust...(it must be around 40 innings or so ) that apart from Vettori's 2 that he has never been hit in front.