• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist given out LBW...

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
Actually to be fair, just about every Englishman on here doesn't tend to moan about things.

Far more likely to attack the players.

I agree to a certain extent but I did see some moaning in the recent SA series start to creep in and you have been winning a lot lately so naturally there will be less moaning.

I think there will be a fair bit of moaning from certain members in the ashes but we shall wait and see

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i agree blaze. england like australia win heaps so they don't really have much to moan about!!!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Maestro said:
Ponting

plumb lbw vs Astle twice in half an hour

:@
The first one was a fair enough decision in my book. It was probably out, but it certainly looked at first glance like it hit him outside the line. With regard to the second one, well it was plumb, but with two runs needed to win and 9 wickets in hand you're never going to get many breaks as the bowling side.

I note that you didn't mention either of the big lbw shouts against Vettori when he was batting, one of which was as plumb as anything you will ever see and the other of which was pretty close.

C_C

International Captain
The first one was a fair enough decision in my book. It was probably out, but it certainly looked at first glance like it hit him outside the line. With regard to the second one, well it was plumb, but with two runs needed to win and 9 wickets in hand you're never going to get many breaks as the bowling side.

I note that you didn't mention either of the big lbw shouts against Vettori when he was batting, one of which was as plumb as anything you will ever see and the other of which was pretty close.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
in other words, this was a case of umpiring bias towards Gillchrist..........and YET ANOTHER reason for technology to make this lbw call.
:p :p :D
Ponting, not Gilchrist, and given that Australia won the test two balls later it was hardly significant. And of course it was an error and not bias. And of course calling it "yet another" case of bias towards Australia ignores the earlier decisions which went in favour of New Zealand.

But that's par for the course for those who actually believe in the International Umpiring Conspiricy, eh?

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Ponting, not Gilchrist, and given that Australia won the test two balls later it was hardly significant. And of course it was an error and not bias.
Me apologies...its the Punter...
Significance is irrelevant.
And it can be termed as a bias....remember...legally,bias and error are interchangable since bias can be intentional or unintentional :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Me apologies...its the Punter...
Significance is irrelevant.
And it can be termed as a bias....remember...legally,bias and error are interchangable since bias can be intentional or unintentional :D
That's really not the case at all... I don't know what lawyers you have been talking to. :p

Bias by definition means that it is intentional and systematic, and that it creates an imbalance.

2. (a) A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment.
(b) An unfair act or policy stemming from prejudice.
3. A statistical sampling or testing error caused by systematically favoring some outcomes over others.

This is why accusing an umpire of being biased is accusing said umpire of cheating, and equally why it is so ridiculous to shout "bias!" every time an umpire makes an error.

C_C

International Captain
That's really not the case at all... I don't know what lawyers you have been talking to.

Bias by definition means that it is intentional and systematic, and that it creates an imbalance.
according to the US and UK supreme courts, bias is simply presence of a statistical evidence indicating one side has got more breaks than the other side.....whether the bias is due to intentional and unintentional reason is a matter of seperate debate.

LOL its no biggie dude...but i had a convo with a few friends a few night ago who are law student/lawyers and it stuck on my mind :p :D