• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Crickets speed demons

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wahindiawah said:
The unbelieveable thing is that it was none other than you who started this thread and posed the question as to who IS the best in the world. Considering that Lee is YET to play a test match the argument that he IS still th best in the world coz of his abilities is laughable.
Sorry, but youve got the wrong person.

I would never say that Lee is the best at present - he is not even playing test cricket which is the ultimate yard-stick.

However, what annoys me is when people make comments such as "he's got a rubbish record over the past 2 years, ergo he is rubbish and always will be."

Lee is bowling beautifully in ODIs at the moment. He has improved his action significantly. This in turn has been translated into sustained high pace and accuracy in that form of the game.

Time will tell if this translates into success in the longer form of the game.

wahindiawah

Banned
social said:
Sorry, but youve got the wrong person.

I would never say that Lee is the best at present - he is not even playing test cricket which is the ultimate yard-stick.

However, what annoys me is when people make comments such as "he's got a rubbish record over the past 2 years, ergo he is rubbish and always will be."

Just for record, i did say that his record in last ten matches was very poor, but i always maintained that he has the potential to improve that in future.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

wahindiawah said:
The unbelieveable thing is that it was none other than you who started this thread and posed the question as to who IS the best in the world. Considering that Lee is YET to play a test match the argument that he IS still th best in the world coz of his abilities is laughable.
hold up mate what do mean by lee has yet to play a test match

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
ahhhhhhhh yes richard another one of ur special comments, prove to me that lee is rubbish all the time, jeeeese mate how could you make such a poor comment. Have you looked at lee performances in the vb series and in the just concluded odi series in nz that same rubbish bowler had the paksitan, west indies and kiwi batsmen all jumping around with has pace and since i first saw him in 1999 home seies againts india i have never seen him bowl better.
Please refer to Test-match cricket...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wahindiawah said:
Rubbish ! Inzi,Youhanna and Malik are good batters but Salman seems to be on his way out.

Pakistani batting is fragile, it has been the weakness of the team and it is going to remain a weakness.
We'll see, personally I'm backing them to take apart Pathan, Balaji, Khan and anyone else who gets picked in the ODIs in a few weeks' time. With Salman leading the way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
Youre dealing with someone that in one post praises Pakistans batting and in the next dismisses Lee's performances against them.
Really? Interesting to see where you've manufactured that contradiction from.
Anyone watching Lee bowl is able to instantly recognise the improvements that he has made. Unfortunately for Richard and TEC, they wear blinkers when he comes onto bowl.
No, we just don't wear blinkers in the way of being determined to see a non-existant improvement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
The sad part about Richard and TEC is that they claim to have watched every ball he has bowled 8-)
I certainly don't, and I wouldn't be surprised if tec has come pretty close to doing so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
anzac said:
i think what Cairns' point was in regard to the one paced nature of the AUS attack & that Border has expressed concerns over that lack of variety.............

with McGrath still able to do what he does & Kasper having his own distinctive abilities in his role as 3rd seamer, Gillespie could be 'vulnerable' having slowed himself down to bowl more like McGrath - particularly if he's not taking wickets nor showing any penetration.......

no one is disputing that Gillespie is a premier bowler, just that all the conjecture about the battle being Kasper v Lee may not be the case..........
Yeah, I see where that comes from... the basic idea is that replacing any of the 3 with Lee is ludicrous... yet it's always going to be a possibility just because any one of them has just 1 poor game.
It all stems from this inexplicable desire to get Lee into the side... and if there really was a culture of fear of Lee in the Kiwi camp (I know you haven't suggested that but some have, as a reason for him playing) I hardly see that Carins would taunt the selectors and try to add more weight to their thoughts of playing him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
Lee is bowling beautifully in ODIs at the moment. He has improved his action significantly. This in turn has been translated into sustained high pace and accuracy in that form of the game.
Which has happened before.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

i think we all have taken my original thread when i siad i think lee is the best and misunderstood it. When i said that i meant in both forms of the game he is the best, when it comes to test cricket that would be debatable to some extent

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Akhtar may be inconsistent but still have fared better than Lee so far. If Lee ever devasted batsmen in test matches in the past then Akhtar had done that with greater effect in the past.[/QUOTE]

K mate i agree that akhtar has devastated teams more than lee in test cricket i can remember a few including that famous one againts ur indian team in the 1st match of the asia cup in 199 when he bowled dravid and tendulkar (1st ball)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Which has happened before.
Not really. Lee's economy rate in most of his games has been better than it has been in a long time, his pace has been higher and sustained for a longer period, his action is very different and he delivers the ball from a greater height now allowing for more bounce and more opportunities for catches behind the wicket, and of course, as has been reported by almost all observers, his accuracy has improved dramatically, particularly his ability to bowl a focused spell of bowling without allowing a loose delivery to release pressure on the batsman.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Now you've got a point with the bowling, but the ODI batting?
Salman Butt, Yasir Hameed, Shoaib Malik, Inzamam-Ul-Haq, Yousuf Youhana is most certainly a very capable line-up and to call it otherwise smacks of anit-Pakistan prejudice.
Here

BoyBrumby

Englishman
With Harmy in rank form & Fred and Shoaib currently incapacitated is there a genuinely quick bowler performing in tests to any standard at all just now?

I haven't seen any of the first test, but Sami's figures were pretty modest. I doubt he'd have got much assistance from the pitch, mind!

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Tino Best is at least as quick as Fidel Edwards..
i dont know about that, for me fidel edwards has always looked a lot quicker than best, even if he focussed far too much on hitting the helmet than the stumps.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Ill reserve judgement on wah..... because he may not have had the opportunity to watch Lee of late.

The sad part about Richard and TEC is that they claim to have watched every ball he has bowled 8-)
oh really, and show me where ive ever made a claim such as that? the only player i could possibly have watched every ball of was graeme hick, and that had more to do with the fact that he was my favorite player and the player who got me into watching cricket ITFP.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not really. Lee's economy rate in most of his games has been better than it has been in a long time, his pace has been higher and sustained for a longer period, his action is very different and he delivers the ball from a greater height now allowing for more bounce and more opportunities for catches behind the wicket, and of course, as has been reported by almost all observers, his accuracy has improved dramatically, particularly his ability to bowl a focused spell of bowling without allowing a loose delivery to release pressure on the batsman.
Funny, then, that his economy-rate has not improved at all - as I showed a little while ago, this season has followed an almost identical pattern to 2002\03, and the fact that everyone has reported that his accuracy has improved simply shows to me that they haven't watched him for ages, rather than having watched him and been reminded constantly of how poor he is.