• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vettori v.s. Giles

Vettori or Giles?

• Total voters

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BlackCap_Fan said:
Yes, I know. But the team he is restricting and getting wickets against happens to be the best side in the world, so he can't be that bad a spinner, can he?
Well he does need to improve his performances against the rest of the world. Nevertheless, they are fairly evenly matches in my view, but I would rather have Vettori in the side because he has a lot of improvement in him, whereas I can't see Giles going that much further.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i'm a LA orthodox bowler, and i've never ever had the ring finger involved in imparting turn on the ball, and never had it suggested to me. always been taught that the index finger should be doing all the work.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
i'm a LA orthodox bowler, and i've never ever had the ring finger involved in imparting turn on the ball, and never had it suggested to me. always been taught that the index finger should be doing all the work.
Allot finger spin bowlers use the ring finger to spin the ball more, u should try it works but allot harder to control and also u loss a bit drift.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
As for someone saying Rafique - he has the rather considerable bonus of playing most of his cricket on the sub continent.
With that train of thought when comparing fast bowlers u could argue that a fast bowler from the sub-continent with an ave of 28 is better then a bowler from outside Asia who has an ave of 23 or does this theory only apply to spin bowlers

twctopcat

International Regular
chaminda_00 said:
With that train of thought when comparing fast bowlers u could argue that a fast bowler from the sub-continent with an ave of 28 is better then a bowler from outside Asia who has an ave of 23 or does this theory only apply to spin bowlers
It certainly helps explaining why someone like Vaas has such a relatively high average.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
It certainly helps explaining why someone like Vaas has such a relatively high average.
True but that doesn't nessary mean he is a better bowler then Gillespie for example, just like that doesn't mean Giles and Vettori are better bowlers then Rafique.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
It would depend on where he played most of his cricket. As it stands, Rafique's figures are 67 @ 32.77 - good for Bangladesh, but hardly world beating when you consider he's played 10 of his 18 games at home, 3 in Pakistan, 2 each in WI and Zimbabwe and 1 in South Africa.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
biased indian said:
this has to be one of the one sided polls ever done on CW

30-7
When one actually compares the players figures and current World Ratings (I only had time to look at Tests as the ODI thing on the ICC site is playing up at the moment) - you'd have to suggest that there's a bit of nationalistic bias creeping into the voting here.

Then I looked at the people who had voted, and that suggestion got just a tad more momentum.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
It would depend on where he played most of his cricket. As it stands, Rafique's figures are 67 @ 32.77 - good for Bangladesh, but hardly world beating when you consider he's played 10 of his 18 games at home, 3 in Pakistan, 2 each in WI and Zimbabwe and 1 in South Africa.
And Giles and Vettori stats are world beating aren't they, u get used to ur home conditions where ur from. Some consideration has to be taken into account about the pitches reponse to ur type of bowling, but it isn't that big of a factor.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That is utter rubbish.

A lot of weight has to be given to the responsiveness of the pitch to the type of bowling.

Giles and Vettori aren't world beating no, but to suggest Rafique is better than either of them is a tad of an unfair statement.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
That is utter rubbish.

A lot of weight has to be given to the responsiveness of the pitch to the type of bowling.

Giles and Vettori aren't world beating no, but to suggest Rafique is better than either of them is a tad of an unfair statement.
If that the case then does that mean Vaas is a better bowler then Gillespie. If u give so much weight to the reponsiveness of the pitch then answer would have to be yes, following ur theory.

It also unfair to say that Rafique isn't better then them just because he play his cricket in Bangladesh is it not.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's pretty unfair to bring up Vettori's record against Australia considering Giles has only played two Tests and four ODI's against them. And in the ODI's he's bowled tightly annd held down an end at least.

I think we'll be able to more accurately judge where Giles is at after he plays a full series against them. Personally, I think he'll fare pretty well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
If that the case then does that mean Vaas is a better bowler then Gillespie. If u give so much weight to the reponsiveness of the pitch then answer would have to be yes, following ur theory.
A stupid comparison - the responsiveness of the pitch to spin makes a huge difference in the figures attained by spinners such as Giles and Vettori.

chaminda_00 said:
It also unfair to say that Rafique isn't better then them just because he play his cricket in Bangladesh is it not.
Well until he gets better figures in non-spin friendly places, there's no way to say he is better.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
A stupid comparison - the responsiveness of the pitch to spin makes a huge difference in the figures attained by spinners such as Giles and Vettori.
Your joking aren't u look at a pitch like the WACA compared to ur average Asian pitch. Pitches outside Asia repond allot more to fast bowler then pitches in Asia, in same way that pitches in Asia repond more to spin then pitches outside Asia.

But regardless of that bowler get used to the condition at home and change their bowling accordingly. If a spin bowler outside Asia can't change his bowling to pitches his fronted with at home then he isn't good enough.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Yes it IS thumb and two fingers with the fourth finger at the bottom near the thumb. Vettori holds with thumb and index finger finger with the middle finger giving support at the bottom.
SJS isn't alone - similar technical concerns from Billy Ibadulla were in the NZ media last year. I remember hearing him in a radio interview and he made the same comments about less revolutions on the ball, etc.

I don't really feel qualified to comment, but it intrigues me that Vettori would effectively say "I was bowling well back then (averaging 60.4 for his last 19 tests before the BAN tour last year), I'm not doing anything different now". It makes me very interested to see if his current form will last, particularly when Sri Lanka arrive.

Copyright Independent Newspapers, Ltd. Jan 4, 2004

FLAWS IN Daniel Vettori's bowling action are jeopardising his future in test cricket, according to Dunedin-based coaching guru Billy Ibadulla.

The former Pakistan test player believes Vettori's bowling, as well as the Black Caps' poor defensive batting, are hurting New Zealand in test matches. He said both problems were fixable but he did think Paul Wiseman was now New Zealand's best spinner.

"Daniel Vettori's strike rate and averages do not meet the needs of the team," said Ibadulla. "He has become a very handy cricketer, but as a spin bowler he's not doing the job. There are a number of things that are not helping him spin the ball as much as he should be."

The former TV commentator, whose catchphrase was "that's the man", wonders what has happened to that talented boy. The Hamiltonian has been an integral Black Cap since his debut at 18.

"He is not spinning the ball as much as he used to do. The bowling stride has got to be looked at and the position of his front arm. They may even have to look at his bowling grip, and also the position of his bowling fingers at the end of the delivery in his follow through."

Ibadulla believes new Black Caps coach John Bracewell, a former test off-spinner, is the ideal man to rectify these problems. "He would perhaps demand a lot more from Daniel when it comes to getting people out."
Vettori's response:

"I've never met Billy, I don't know his credentials and I also don't know the reason why he would say things to the newspaper as opposed to wanting to help me personally."

For all that, Vettori said he left no stone unturned trying to work out why the wickets weren't coming like they used to.

"I looked into it, studied my action and compared myself when I was bowling well and getting results and I saw nothing different.

"And being completely honest I thought I was bowling all right. There were things I needed to work on and I got frustrated at times at the lack of success and maybe went searching for wickets, but that was all. I was confident I could get through it and that's what happened in Bangladesh. It came together and it was a great stepping stone for Australia. Bangladesh are not a top side but when you come off 12 months of little success it does wonders for your confidence."

Of course, Vettori does not have to look far for advice, with coach John Bracewell well versed in the art of spin. "He's always been happy with the way I've been bowling, but just felt I was searching for wickets at times, and when you force too hard it can work against you.

"I think a lot our troubles have come in the fourth innings of matches and being the only spinner that was a little down to me not being able to get the job done."

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
When one actually compares the players figures and current World Ratings (I only had time to look at Tests as the ODI thing on the ICC site is playing up at the moment) - you'd have to suggest that there's a bit of nationalistic bias creeping into the voting here.

Then I looked at the people who had voted, and that suggestion got just a tad more momentum.
its even worse now 37-8 :p ya every one here is biased except 8 people

Last edited:

dro87

U19 12th Man
Daniel LUCA Vettori is much better... Maybe cos he's Italian... LOL!!!
However, Vettori is a much better batsman, and probably the same as Giles for Bowling...