• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

wat changes cricket needs to be a world sport???

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the global expansion of the game is an admirable goal, but is really locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

In 1909 the ICC (then the Imperial Cricket Council) with typical foresightedness passed a rule to say that to play test cricket you had to be a member of the British Empire, as was. This caused a healthy American cricket scene to wither on the vine from lack of international exposure. Before this rule I've read that there was fairly serious talk of the US being the 4th test playing nation ahead of The Windies.

The hegemony of baseball in the US is now such that cricket's best chance is thru the sons & daughters of sub-continental immigrants. I can see them performing a similar role to the Italian/Greek/Yugoslavian immigrants to Oz in the 40s & 50s performed in spreading the Association Football gospel over there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think the global expansion needs to be more countries to be added. If you see the population of the countries playing cricket, then considering the sub continent, a very large number of people in the world follow the game and passionately so.

We seem to be obsessed with international cricket. It is this focus on the international game that has made the number of countries the only way to increase the participation.

Actually most mass games have the bulk of the following in the club(first clas) level. How much of football is because of the world cup or the international games or how much of tennis is because of the Davis cup.

Cricklet's authorities need to do something about internationalising the first class game. This is particularly important since the county cricket which for long was the nursery of the game has declined so badly. If the focus is on firast class teams (clubs) across the cricket playing nations that compete against each other in England in the summer and other parts of the world in the winter and if it is done in an organised manner, we may see a revival of the game as has never been thought of by the cricketing world.

Imagine the English, Australian. West Indian. Pakistani stars playing in India in firsdt class games against Indian teams. It will give a huge boost to the first class game, will bring back the crowds to dead tournaments like the Ranji Trophy and the pool for all the nations to choose their international cricketers from will increase enormously.

The English had it all wrong when they thjought restricting the inflow of outsiders would give a fillip to the county cricket. They need to not just bring in outside cricketers but also outside teams and then the benefit of the 100's of millions of TV viewers in the sub continent will filter to the restof the world and the game wil prosper every where.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It is an interesting idea; I know some commentators (Sir Alex Ferguson among them) who view The Champions League rather than The World Cup as the "gold seal" standard of Football nowadays. Perhaps a first-class competition between the respective champion teams of the 8 (no disrespect to Zimbabwe or Bangladesh) major test nations could perform a similar role.

I guess the real problem is scheduling; the cricketing calendar is almost full to bursting as it is.

Josh

International Regular
BoyBrumby said:
In 1909 the ICC (then the Imperial Cricket Council) with typical foresightedness passed a rule to say that to play test cricket you had to be a member of the British Empire, as was. This caused a healthy American cricket scene to wither on the vine from lack of international exposure. Before this rule I've read that there was fairly serious talk of the US being the 4th test playing nation ahead of The Windies.
Indeed it was. Cricket was a very vibrant sport in the USA (mainly in areas of Pennsilvania and Boston) in that time. I didn't however know that this was the reason it declined. The US cricket scene was fairly big around the time of the "decleration of independence" aswell. There was a huge article about cricket in the USA on the USA Cricket website a while ago. Was such an interesting read.

Baseball was derrived from cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
It is an interesting idea; I know some commentators (Sir Alex Ferguson among them) who view The Champions League rather than The World Cup as the "gold seal" standard of Football nowadays. Perhaps a first-class competition between the respective champion teams of the 8 (no disrespect to Zimbabwe or Bangladesh) major test nations could perform a similar role.

I guess the real problem is scheduling; the cricketing calendar is almost full to bursting as it is.
Scheduling is the standard response to most things.

We should be talking of RESCHEDULING of the cricket calender not just looking into the present scedule as gospel and see if something can be fitted into it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SJS said:
Scheduling is the standard response to most things.

We should be talking of RESCHEDULING of the cricket calender not just looking into the present scedule as gospel and see if something can be fitted into it.
Absolutely. :)

Seeing Bangladesh and/or Zimbabwe whipped yet again does no-one any good, but it's an unfortunate by-product of the ICC's test rankings & their attendant 5-year plan.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
There my hopes of playing some sort of international cricket have increased :D :p
I suppose you could say that :p

But seriously, do we want another five teams, much much worse than baglaDesh to be playing test cricket. Is this good for the game ?

Wouldnt it be a better idea for Bangla desh to field a team. as also Kenya and Zimbabwe and others in the domestic tournaments of the major test playing nations and hone their skills ??

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
Do believe it is derived from Rounders, which is a girls' version of cricket! :ph34r:
Yes we did play a game called rounders which was pretty similar to baseball as kids forty five years ago. With boys though :)

biased indian

International Coach
i would suggest a way to improve the game in the new countries
allow one country to participate in the national champiosship of the test playing nations(minus bangladesh and Zim allow them to play in some country).so that will be a little bit more level playing feild

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
id like to see more test playing nations, especially if china becomes one and they really get behind the team then world cups would be less farcial with namibia and holland playing and more like footy world cups

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
GoT_SpIn said:
yeah lets do that and see them get bowled out for 10 and 500 runs scored against them, good idea buddy

Oh, come on

Nations like Holland,Canada and Nambia stand good chances, it would actally give a bit of exp

I mean, Those 3 teams did sometimes put a challenge to the test playing squads

Like the CAN VS WI, Daviso had that under control but couldn't reply back to the Windies Batting

And also NAM VS BAN, where the NAM won

I'm just saying, give the minors a shot at Banglandish,West Indies and Zimbabwe

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Dizzy #4 said:
First, improve the one day arena, so, do 1 dayers
I agree.

One of the big problems with the one day format is that there is not enough premium on getting the oposition out and more on keeping down the scoring rate. Thus batting is getting more and more aggressive BUT bowling and field placings (within the constraints of restrictions) more and more defensive. There is a need toadress this.

One possibility is for the residual overs (in case a side is bowled out under 50 overs) to be added to the batting side. This will make the bowlers try to get wickets and also will put some premium on the wickets by batsmen and sheer slogging will partly be encouraged to change to aggressive but more cricketing strokes.

The aggression of the type one sees from the Lara's, the Tendulkars, the Pontings will be encouraged and the middle overs wil not de generate into a containment excercise by the bowlers and a wait for the last ten by the batsmen.

There could be other such innovative ideas. But this will only happen if it can be seen that what will kill the game is not the run rate but the imbalance between bat and ball, the monotony of the game, the indistinguishability of one game from the other and the decline of pure cricketing skills !

Josh

International Regular
Mr Casson said:
Do believe it is derived from Rounders, which is a girls' version of cricket! :ph34r:
Well, in the end, it still derrived from cricket then.

Cricket >>> Rounders >>> Baseball >>> Softball

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
biased indian said:
allow one country to participate in the national champiosship of the test playing nations(minus bangladesh and Zim allow them to play in some country).so that will be a little bit more level playing feild
But would also greatly increase the workload of players.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I'm disappointed. I only looked at this thread when I found it because I thought it said "wat changes cricket needs to be a blood sport???"