• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Has 20Twenty Cricket Been A Success?

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
There can be little doubt you could say the same for most of the drivel that comes out of this pompous members mouth. But as Andyc and sledger have shown there is a sound basis for my point, and I for one would far rather face facts and get to the bottom of this issue than be politically correct in order to please Council estate rabble.
You live in Ilkley dont you????

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
Lol I am not Eton an toff if that was what you were thinking, just a generalising fool, and your family are far posher than mine if the rumours are anything to go by. :)
If thats an attack at my family, we'd take it as a compliment anyway...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A good point - Matthew Engel remembers well the initial ecstatic response to 65-, 40- and 55-over cricket, in the 60s and 70s.
They're still all pretty successful at the international level (to say the least) but in England at least they aren't as popular at the domestic level as initially.
Not to say, of course, that with a little imagination and good marketing they couldn't become popular as The ING Cup and other domestic-one-day-competitions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Well have you? :p
Yes - all too much.
It's perfectly fair to dismiss certain social "classes" as, if you like, inferior, some of the type are a disgrace to the term "human-being" - you've just got to be careful you don't fit it as a stereotype and treat each individual as an individual.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
Well have you? :p
I've done a significant amount of voluntary work (mainly sports/coaching related but not exclusively) with pretty much every social strata in the city and there is no difference between intelligence between the strata.

Both ends have their fair share of disgraces. My personal favourite quote comes from an Exeter second-year - "I didn't know people who could read worked at Burger King" - when discussing summer holiday pursuits...

Intelligence manifests itself in different ways (environmental effects). The lower classes are not stupid.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well - some of them are, but the proportion of stupid:clever is exactly the same is in the middle and upper classes.
Something many of the upper-class appear not to realise.
Hence the - totally obscene - ranting of several parents at my Dad when their kids do poorly at school. Of course, these kids are upper-class private-school lads - they can't possibly not have the brains to get the grades, oh, no, there has to be some fault in the teaching.
It's sickening at times, it really is.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I've done a significant amount of voluntary work (mainly sports/coaching related but not exclusively) with pretty much every social strata in the city and there is no difference between intelligence between the strata.
But if there were the same proportion of intelligent people amongst all social classes would the highly intelligent 'common' people not make something of their lives and improve their social class? Intelligence is inherited and if your parents are of a higher class they have probably been reasonably successful, which implies they should have above average intelligence, and then then pass this on to their children. Working class parents are by defintion less successful and for this very reason are likely to be less intelligent, and their children inherit less able minds.

If the above passage is rubbish then can you please explain why private school children get far better exam results than state school pupils, and why school results in leafy suburbs are nearly always much higher than those in run down inner city areas.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
a massive zebra said:
But if there were the same proportion of intelligent people amongst all social classes would the highly intelligent 'common' people not make something of their lives and improve their social class? Intelligence is inherited and if your parents are of a higher class they have probably been reasonably successful, which implies they should have above average intelligence, and then then pass this on to their children. Working class parents are by defintion less successful and for this very reason are likely to be less intelligent, and their children inherit less able minds.

If the above passage is rubbish then can you please explain why private school children get far better exam results than state school pupils, and why school results in leafy suburbs are nearly always much higher than those in run down inner city areas.
It's partly to do with the quality of teaching, partly to do with parental pressure, but also partly to do with the scholastic environment.

In my (state) school it was seen as powerfully uncool to do your homework & generally study. No-one (particularly lads) wanted to be seen as a "girly swot". This is part of the reason why girls tend to do better than lads.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Neil Pickup said:
A generalisation with nothing related to social class.
again this is not neccesarily the case, the membership at lords is all based on social class and hereditary piers etc... whilst this may not be a direct link to twenty 20, playing devils advocate you would argue that 20 twenty is there to satisfy lower classes of peopl because of examples such as the lords case, i personally dont believe that but it is a possible and slightly plausible theory.

Deja moo

International Captain
Marketing I guess. Could be why Cricket Max didnt take off the way twenty20 did. I feel for you, Crowe.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why not have one for India? With tennis balls and pitches with a lot of bounce, it would not only encourage bowlers to bowl fast, but also batsmen to hit big shots- that way, bowlers would be used to bowling to big-hitters, and be better equipped in bowlign to them. Better than the same old spin-dominated FC matches where runs are scored at a pathetic run rate of less than 2.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:

OH my god...open your eyes Zebra. There are so many reasons why private schools get better results...it tends to come down to money...exam results arent the be all and end all with regards to intelligence.

get wise to the fact that there are alsorts of motivation issues involved with why inner city school results arent as high...think, why should I bother when I wont get a job anyway etc.

You blinkered view of life has shocked me. Working class and damned proud of it, live in a ****ty area of Keighley, grew up with little money after my parents divorced (broken family..does that lower my social standing)...after which school results didnt seem as important to me..but I still managed to eek out a living and managed to get a degree...same with many people I know.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aye complete garbage from zebra, those that have gotten rich to get to a 'higher class' have very rarely gotten there from being very intelligent. Mediocrity reigns in this World because people are scared of high intelligence - look at the peons that become PM or president (let me guess Bush is a genius right zebra?). In this World guys who fix the coke machine get paid more than leading scientists. Then of course you've got physical games compared to mental games, who makes more - the World's best chess or Scrabble player or the Chelsea player who plays about 180 minutes in a season?

Oh and one more thing... look at the Royal Family (Britain)... could you get a thicker lot?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
superkingdave said:
Hardly a spectator sport scrabble though is it?
It is as much as any sport is. In the 90s the highlights of a WSC (World Scrabble Championships) was shown on BBC2 mid-afternoon. The American NSC (National Scrabble Championships) is shown on ESPN. The NSC in England filled up most of a 200-seat conference hall in London late last year and there are plenty of 'live' web relays of games.