• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Cricket gets a new look

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've got mixed feelings about it, I would have liked to have seen a true knockout competition and also something that involved the minor county sides. The main problem with the new format of the C & G trophy is that a lot of teams will be playing for nothing quite early on since only the top side of a division of 10 goes through. I can see they're trying to find a balance between having high intensity games (ie less games in a competition) and still bring in plenty of revenue, but I don't think the balance is right in the C & G trophy which I believe should have been more knockout than league (every competition has a league element to it). Also the sooner two overseas teams (even Scotland & Ireland would do) join the twenty20 and make it 4 groups of 5 so we don't have that contrived 8 games against 5 opponents situation the better.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Don't like it:
1) Twenty20 is still a mess
2) Minor Counties booted out of C&G
3) What's the point of a 40-over comp?
4) Dead games in C&G won't be competed
5) Leaves no genuine 50-over cricket in England

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The ECB said:
From 2006, England 'A' will play two first-class matches against the tourists. It is possible that two one-day matches in a three or four day period could replace one of these first class matches.
Do like this bit, though :)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Do like this bit, though :)
Yep, happens to England when they tour places like Australia. It will give reserve players to England plus the best Youngsters a great chance to play vs good teams not to mention denting the moral of the touring side if they ever got beat!

I really hope theres a chance Sky would televise them too, unlikely though :(

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I take it England will have 20 (or thereabouts) contracted players by the time those England A fixtures take place otherwise the counties might cause a bit of hassle with players being released for those games. Would be nice to see competitive warmup games for touring countries anyways, similar to teams touring Aus.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
40 over comp? what on earth is the point in a 40-over comp when you have both 50 over and 20 over comps?? Sounds like they're living in the dark ages...

Link

State Vice-Captain
40 - over competitions are pointless. The 'thrill' factor allready comes from the 20/20 and seeing that englands weakness is in the OD games what is the point actually playing in a format that is different. Makes no sense :wacko:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Theres little difference between 40 and 50 over games. You still have the fielding restrictions at the start and the rush at the end. You just lose 10 middle overs which are generally just ticking along overs.
The idea is to keep interest from the 20/20 competition. Having Sunday games starting at 3pm and also the night games starting an few hours later will allow more parents to bring children to the games. As mentioned this will happen directly after 20/20 has finished and interest will be at its highest.
I'm still not happy with the finals day having 3 games played during it. Its just too much cricket when the format is meant to be short, fast and exciting cricket. It would be better to hold the semi's on seperate grounds like the quarters and just having the final alone. You could still have entertainment such as music but just have a greater half time break between innings to hold it.
I still think theres too many county games played which gives players little time to work on technique betwen games. But this seems to be balanced out by counties getting encouraged to offer players winter contracts which will allow them to work on their game in the winter. So i can't argue with that.

brockley

International Captain
Thats a shame no games against the minor counties and county boards,you have to go back and long time in english cricket since that has not occurred.
Agree with scotland and ireland coming in, thought netherlands would have been worth a shot too they are ranked above both scotland and ireland.

chris.hinton

International Captain
This is really bad for English cricket one again it shows that the Powers to be no jack**** about the game. To get rid of the Minor Couties out of the C and G trophy is stupid and Thoughtless

The England A idea is good though

MY Proposal

CC: 3 Divisions of six with 10 games and 1 up and 1 down System everyone will play

NL: 2 Regionals of 9 play each other twice plus top 4 go to the play offs.... and 50 overs

C&G: same as they did in the early 2000s with all Counties,Minor,Minor Countries(Ie Scotland) and 4 Univeristies that would make 64 teams and have random draw

T20: Should stay the same

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Truely what is the point of minor counties playing ?
Its a waste. So rarely do the minor counties win. The crowds are poor, its never televised. The best thing that they did was drop the minor counties and county boards.

The county chanpionship will never goto 3 divison set up mainly cos the counties wouldnt vote for it. The 3rd division teams would basically become nothing more than a glorified minor countys as all the money would be focused on the top div, and players wouldnt touch a lower team if they had any sort of England Asperations. If you're gonna do that you may as well play 1 division of 6 regional teams.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
there's some good ideas there particularly for the national league/c&g but i doubt they will be implemented but i'm not sure about the 3 division CC

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
SpaceMonkey said:
Truely what is the point of minor counties playing ?

Yeh okay thats true..but ireland and devon both beat surry and leicestershire last season...and irelands win was a gud one......Devon are also a gud team.....get rid of them perhaps...its just the same as removing non league clubs from the FA Cup because they wont doanything 8-)

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
and anyway minor teams do the greatest things....ireland beating the west indies in the 60's, kenya getting to the world cup semis last year (better than England), Wales even beating England in a 1 day international last year...rock on those minor teams...they have a purpose

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And we all know that non-league clubs do do things in the FA Cup :D

Yes, they always get dumped out early, but they are the pinnacles of the season for the minor sides and give players chance to shine (and we get to see useless Yorkie off-spinners clubbed all over Exmouth).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
Didn't Scotland win the ICC thingy, thus rating them above Holland?
They won the 3-day thing. But their match with Netherlands was even enough (314/7d & 250/8d drew 257 and 207/3) - the Dutch got floored by Ireland, and then the Scots floored the Irish after Watts made a century. They then romped past Kenya and Canada in the finals at Sharjah.

However, at the Euro Champs in Holland, Ireland won (barring the England club cricketers) as Scotland were bowled out by the Dutch for 81 and lost to the Irish by three overs and five wickets.

To me, Scotland, Netherlands and Ireland are even. Along with Canada (with Davison), Kenya (when they ever get organised) and Namibia quite possibly the class of the Associates.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Marcus said:
and anyway minor teams do the greatest things....ireland beating the west indies in the 60's, kenya getting to the world cup semis last year (better than England), Wales even beating England in a 1 day international last year...rock on those minor teams...they have a purpose
Another Tauntonian?? Where you from in this marvellous town??#

<<--------- By the way, I don't look like that.. They don't make girls like that here :)

Last edited: