• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Jones or James Anderson?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Because we all know how much a single game proves, don't we?
He's got to do it more than once.
Given that the comment replied to was "Well Kirtley ran through South Africa in a way Anderson or Jones have never done against anyone", then one game's all that matters. And, as shown above, it's now 2-1 to Jones.

bryce

International Regular
tooextracool said:
like who?
are you trying to say no swing bowlers have been successful in ODI's pitching it up? for one james anderson done it for the most part of his career and it's fair to say he done quite well

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Spoke a tad too soon there? :D
Jones didn't run through South Africa, he got four wickets all but one of which were tailenders. Anyway, given that he keeps getting picked, success is bound to come occasionally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Given that the comment replied to was "Well Kirtley ran through South Africa in a way Anderson or Jones have never done against anyone", then one game's all that matters. And, as shown above, it's now 2-1 to Jones.
Jones did not run though South Africa like Kirtley did at Trent Bridge.
He got 2 tailenders out and got given 1 wicket which wasn't a wicket. In short, his one worthwhile achievement was to dismiss Jacques Kallis.
Kirtley tore through the South African order, taking 4 genuine wickets of players who have proven their ability to bat at Test-level (plus Graeme Smith with a poor decision) and 1 tail-ender. Albeit with rather more help from inconsistent bounce than Jones enjoyed.
Sorry, Kirtley's achievement was still the better.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well Jones definately bowled extremely well this game - this has shut me up for a while. For me it now depends how he does int he coming Tests.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Jones didn't run through South Africa, he got four wickets all but one of which were tailenders. Anyway, given that he keeps getting picked, success is bound to come occasionally.
Alternatively, observers could show an open mind and admit he bowled very well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally I don't rate Jones as a quality Test match bowler. He doesn't have the consistency of line and length (from what I've seen) to be a success. He will give you the odd burst, but is generally not quite up to scratch.

Now England can get away with him in the attack for now, as the other 3 seamers are all definitely Test quality in my estimation. It must said though, that England will either have to see a huge improvement in Jones' game within the next year, or he will be a liability against Australia.

All that said, I believe the present James Anderson would be an equal liability.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tom Halsey said:
Until the last game, I would have entirely agreed - now I'm not sure.
As accounted for by...

"He will give you the odd burst, but is generally not quite up to scratch."

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
PAKMAN said:
jones in tests and adreson in odi's
i would say neither for odi's unless the conditions are really swingy in which case andersong should be given the nod,

but hats off to the way that simon jones played in the 2nd innings he has ipressed me very much, in light of this i now take the view that anderson must do something substantial to earn his place back in the side, either that or jones begins to bowl badly again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Test debut
First Test v Australia (only bowled 7 overs though)
Against West Indies and New Zealand at Lord's
The current game
I'm presuming you mean "when has he been truly fit when playing Test-cricket".

That's what I meant.

And am I right in thinking that in just about all of those occasions he's not done too badly at all?