• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb poster with the best understanding of the game

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I think Richard has the best knowledge of the game, but (no offense Richard) I think sometimes you tend to forget that all sport is about fun, and the fact that you said it wouldn't have been funny at all if Strauss had taken the last wicket on Sunday sealed it for me - I just think you need to lighten up a bit, that's all.

I think if you were a bit more willing to let other people have their own points of view, and "agree to disagree" as it were, then it'd be you instead of SJS that everyone's nominating on this thread.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I wouldn't dream of saying my knowledge of the game is greater than SJS's - I've not had an enormous amount of convo with him, but he's still left me in little doubt he's watched a hell of a lot of cricket with great attention-to-detail.
In many cases agreeing to disagree is the only option (I've tried to do it with tooextracool as much as poss recently) but I do like to do my best to put my point across before agreeing to disagree.
Then, of course, if someone contradicts me, I try to point-out why I think not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
I think sometimes you tend to forget that all sport is about fun, and the fact that you said it wouldn't have been funny at all if Strauss had taken the last wicket on Sunday sealed it for me - I just think you need to lighten up a bit, that's all.
But why?
Why does this stuff have to be funny?
Why can't it be someone getting an ODI-average of 3 that would almost certainly stay that way and could under no circumstances be described as deserved?
And why can't I dislike that idea?

tooextracool

International Coach
honestbharani said:
I don't think the Adelaide wicket was like any Indian wicket. The Indian wickets, especially during the pre-season, which is what September-October is, always offer quite a bit for fast bowlers. The early morning dew always freshens up the pitches and the first hour and a half are always great if you are a fast bowler..
oh believe me the amount of movement that you get in the morning is minimal, certainly not enough to suggest that its anywhere close to being threatening to a quality batsman. unless of course the conditions are used to full effect by a very good bowler, which is what glenn mcgrath is. needless to say that the 01 series took place in feb-march.

honestbharani said:
Plus, the pitches are so rough and the outfields rather unused, that you can start reverse swinging the ball after just 20-25 overs, at times. At least, after 30 overs, you will get reverse swing, which becomes very pronounced during the last session. Off the wicket, yes, there is very little, but all this help from the traditional and the reverse swing cannot be totally thrown out of the equation...
wickets like the first test in chennai, offered absolutely nothing for the pace bowlers, and slow turn for spinners. reverse swing as useful as it is, will not help you get an average of under 20 on its own. it requires considerable skill and accuracy.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Basically I said he hardly ever played in seaming conditions, and when he got wickets in almost every match on flat wickets I watched he got them because of poor strokes.
Nowhere near as complicated as you thought.
so all his wickets in both aus-sa series were of poor strokes? and the one against eng in aus in 03? and you conviently missed both the series in india, and therefore the series against NZ recently must be just an anomaly?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
To summarise, life's supposed to be fun and taking everything so damn seriously isn't.

In my book, the best way of dealing with things is humour in some way.

Example, last week, coaching football in a deprived area of Exeter. I'm wearing a coat with a hat and gloves in the front pocket which sticks out a fair distance.

Child: Are you pregnant?

My response could have been anything from silence, put down, b*ll*cking, etc.

Me: Yep, twin boys.

End of issue.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Richard said:
But why?
Why does this stuff have to be funny?
Why can't it be someone getting an ODI-average of 3 that would almost certainly stay that way and could under no circumstances be described as deserved?
And why can't I dislike that idea?
You're free to find it not funny by all means - I'm not condemning it, and I can understand where you're coming from, that if a player achieves underserved success then it shouldn't result in him being praised. All I meant is that certain sporting events have a novelty about them which means they are treasured more than the everyday - if Strauss had taken a wicket in probably his only international over ever, it would certainly have been a novelty. Maybe funny wasn't the right word.

Also, personally, I don't like to get into debates where what is "deserved" is in question - where that's concerned, there can never be anything other than a variety of vastly different opinions which mean nothing in relation to one another, as everyone has an opinion of what constitutes "deserving" success - hard work? Talent? Being a nice bloke? There's so many variables that it's a bit of a futile argument.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
You're free to find it not funny by all means - I'm not condemning it, and I can understand where you're coming from, that if a player achieves underserved success then it shouldn't result in him being praised. All I meant is that certain sporting events have a novelty about them which means they are treasured more than the everyday - if Strauss had taken a wicket in probably his only international over ever, it would certainly have been a novelty. Maybe funny wasn't the right word.

Also, personally, I don't like to get into debates where what is "deserved" is in question - where that's concerned, there can never be anything other than a variety of vastly different opinions which mean nothing in relation to one another, as everyone has an opinion of what constitutes "deserving" success - hard work? Talent? Being a nice bloke? There's so many variables that it's a bit of a futile argument.
Word.. live and let live..

Group hug

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I tend not to read all of the topics on this part of the forum so have missed SJS's obvious knowledge of the game. I like reading TopCat the most. Even though I disagree with a lot of Richard's posts, I still think he has a very good knowledge of the game. Maybe a little too analytical but it provokes some spirited debate.

Other than that everyone's pretty good. I am often amazed at the thought behind some of the posts because of the young age of the poster. Mature comments mostly.

I don't tend to post much on this part unless I am adding something new to the debate.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
To summarise, life's supposed to be fun and taking everything so damn seriously isn't.

Example, last week, coaching football in a deprived area of Exeter. I'm wearing a coat with a hat and gloves in the front pocket which sticks out a fair distance.

End of issue.
What the hell do you mean 'end of issue' :@ :@ ?

I want to take up issue. Why not triplets :confused1 :confused1

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:

End of issue.
congrats neil!!!
:D

I would say that I have close to the best knowledge in the game and on every other subject. My modesty prevents me from omitting "close".

Camel56

Banned
Id just like to confirm Pinkline's claim. He really is one of the most knowledgable people when it comes to just about every subject, cricket and social commentary included.

Deja moo

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:

End of issue.
Sonography for *** determination is legal there ?

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
its all very subjective, most of the people on here seem to be basing their opinion on whos watched more cricket, or who can talk more about what happened 25 years ago. IMO its not whos watched more, its whos watched more closely. people with good understanding of the game should be people who are capable of analysing performances by looking at technique,skill,temperament etc rather than just looking at averages and statistics or people who can just say that so and so player came up with so and so performance on a flat wicket. of course anyone whos watched that would be able to deduce that for himself, certainly it doesnt tell you anything about their knowledge of the game. its almost like a comparison between boycott and cozier. while cozier knows more about cricketing history, and about WI cricket, boycott is much better at analysing players and deciding on his own whether they are good or not. personally i do not respect comments from people who look at stats solely, anyone could do that. equally i dislike people who look at other peoples opinions, so called experts of the game, to decide whether someone is good enough or not. of course its fine to back your opinion occasionally with stats to prove your point, but certainly you've got to base your opinion largely on having watched the game or the player.
using these characteristics, i think i can narrow this list down quite a bit. of course i dont mean for any disrespect for those not on the list, certain mods for example i have hardly heard any off to decided whether they know anything or not. from what ive seen so far swervy seems to fit the categories mentioned above fairly well, in that he bases his analysis of players on watching rather than statistics. luckyeddie, on the rare occasion that he is on topic, has certainly shown that he is capable of analysing player performance based on the situation and conditions. richard occasionally shows that he can evaluate player based on the above characteristics. of course his occasional ridiculous ideas such as mcgrath/pollock getting lucky wickets, richardson struggling on seamer friendly ones, his entire theory about pressure are just annoying. however his theory about first chance averages is one that i like the most, makes plenty of sense to carry it out if it can be done accurately enough. not to forget of course an often forgotten member of the forum anzac, who despite his extremely long posts, usually posts some of the best analysis of batsmen technique and bowlers skill. badgehair, who hasnt been on here for a while, again posts quality information about players that is worth reading. that i think sums it up for my list. again for those not on the list, i do not mean any disrespect, i might just have forgotten to put your name on the list:p
thats me, that is

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neil Pickup said:
last week, coaching football in a deprived area of Exeter. I'm wearing a coat with a hat and gloves in the front pocket which sticks out a fair distance.

End of issue.
Cheeky little bleeder!

You should've thrashed him to within an inch of his life!!

Spare the rod, spoil the child I say.

NB: Would be humour. I do not adovcate violence towards minors. Unless, of course, they have annoyed me in some way! :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
so all his wickets in both aus-sa series were of poor strokes? and the one against eng in aus in 03? and you conviently missed both the series in india, and therefore the series against NZ recently must be just an anomaly?
If you remove a single Test (when he certainly got all his wickets through poor strokes) his figures against South Africa add-up to not especially good, so that he got most wickets through poor strokes doesn't matter too much.
Yes, too, McGrath was not especially impressive in The Ashes 2002\03 - though I don't doubt he'd have been devestating if he'd bowled when Caddick took his 7-for.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
If you remove a single Test (when he certainly got all his wickets through poor strokes) his figures against South Africa add-up to not especially good, so that he got most wickets through poor strokes doesn't matter too much..
from which test in which series are you talking about?

Richard said:
Yes, too, McGrath was not especially impressive in The Ashes 2002\03 - though I don't doubt he'd have been devestating if he'd bowled when Caddick took his 7-for.
oh yes im sure he must be disappointed with that disgraceful average of 20 at the end of that series, despite bowling on all the flat wickets of the series.