• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Batsmen of their respective teams

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia - Ponting
England - Thorpe/Vaughan
India - Dravid
Pakistan - Inzamam
Sri Lanka - Atapattu
South Africa - Kallis
New Zealand - Fleming
West Indies - Lara
Zimbabwe - Taylor/Taibu
Bangladesh - Bashar

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Bevan's a has-been and he has been for a very long time. He stopped performing after his century against New Zealand in the VB Series

cricket player

International Debutant
James90 said:
Bevan's a has-been and he has been for a very long time. He stopped performing after his century against New Zealand in the VB Series
pakistan: shoaib akhtar
new zealand: daniel vettor
india:ganguly
zimbabwe:dion ibrham
"aussie's:clarke
england"harmison
west indies:collymore

it is good to try some thing different" :p

nzidol

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
I wouldn't quite yet go so far as to call Malik a better ODI player than Inzamam-Ul-Haq. Good, certainly, and personally I think he'll be one of the top ODI players going around in a few years, but not yet better than Inzamam.
Yeah, i know, but I just can't handle saying Inzy is a complete one day batsman. His running just irks me. But you may be right at present, although Malik has the package to be a one day giant.. although Inzy will always be more of a giant.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
What is it with you and writing-off some of the best players your country has ever seen?
If Bevan is finished he's still the best one-day batsman going around.
I didn't write him off; the Aussie selectors did. And he's not still one of the best OD batsmen going around, because he isn't going around at all. Period.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mr Casson said:
I didn't write him off; the Aussie selectors did. And he's not still one of the best OD batsmen going around, because he isn't going around at all. Period.
Bevan still plays OD games, he just doesnt play ODI games.

Anyway, my lists:

Tests:

Australia: Ricky Ponting
Bangladesh: Habibul Bashar
England: Graham Thorpe
India: Rahul Dravid
New Zealand: Stephen Fleming
Pakistan: Inzamam Ul Haq
South Africa: Jaques Kallis
Sri Lanka: Kumar Sangakkara
West Indies: Brian Lara
Zimbabwe: Tatenda Taibu

ODIs:

Australia: Adam Gilchrist
Bangladesh: Rajin Saleh
England: Andrew Flintoff
India: Virender Sehwag
Zimbabwe: Elton Chigumbura

howardj

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
Bevan still plays OD games, he just doesnt play ODI games.

Anyway, my lists:

Tests:

Australia: Ricky Ponting
England: Graham Thorpe
India: Rahul Dravid
Zimbabwe: Tatenda Taibu
Spot-on. Except I would have Damien Martyn a whisker ahead of Ricky Ponting.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tests:
Australia: Matthew Hayden
England: Graeme Thorpe
India: Sachin Tendulkar
New Zealand: Mark Richardson
Pakistan: Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Zimbabwe: ... Taibu?

ODIs:
Australia: Andrew Symonds
England: Andrew Flintoff
India: Sachin Tendulkar
Pakistan: Yousuf Youhana
Sri Lanka: Sanath Jayasuria
Zimbabwe: Nobody obvious.

tooextracool

International Coach
SirBloody Idiot said:
I disagree.

Personally, I like Trescothick's playing style the most out of all English players, and therefore I believe he is their best player.
well just because you like someone's playing style it doesnt make that player the best player in the side let alone even deserving a place in the side. AFAIC, his playing style as much as you like it will only make him another one of those inconsistent FTBs that we've seen in the past.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tests:
Australia: Hayden
England: Flintoff
India: Sehwag
New Zealand: Richardson
Pakistan: Inzamam-Ul-Haq
South Africa: Smith
Sri Lanka: Sangakkara
West Indies: Sarwan
Zimbabwe: Taibu

ODIs:
Australia: Symonds
England: Flintoff
India: Tendulkar
New Zealand: Fleming
Pakistan: Yousuf Youhana
South Africa: Kallis
Sri Lanka: Jayasuriya
West Indies: Lara
Zimbabwe: Extras

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricket player said:
pakistan: shoaib akhtar
new zealand: daniel vettor
india:ganguly
zimbabwe:dion ibrham
"aussie's:clarke
england"harmison
west indies:collymore

it is good to try some thing different" :p
:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James90 said:
No, he didn't.
His average for his next 50 games (34 innings, nearly 2 years) was 47.61. He played a massive part in winning 3 games in that period.
While that innings possibly reprisented the pinnacle of his career, it is ludicrous to say he was a has-been from that point on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Casson said:
The Australian selectors haven't - yet - written-off Lehmann, yet you overtly suggested they should.
And Bevan most certainly is still going around - he's still playing cricket professionally, and at the level recognised on an international scale.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
nzidol said:
Yeah, i know, but I just can't handle saying Inzy is a complete one day batsman. His running just irks me. But you may be right at present, although Malik has the package to be a one day giant.. although Inzy will always be more of a giant.
His running has very seldom cost much - same way plenty of famed weaknesses haven't actually cost much.
I certainly rate Malik extremely highly - as long as he's batting in the top four. Very good bowler on a sticking or turning pitch, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:
Great to finally see Sangakkara getting the acclaim he deserves!
Yeah, funny, really, that. Not having read anyone's lists, I thought about the matter, and was a bit surprised to realise that there is absolutely no real doubt that Sangakkara is Sri Lanka's best player.
Before Aravinda's retirement, I'd have said him every time, though - though, sadly, he never quite made the most of himself the way Sangakkara has in Tests and, increasingly (:happy:), in ODIs.