• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia name Chappell-Hadlee Trophy squad

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Hmm, I'd say it was more the end of one trend, just before another started in the next game, when he managed to dismiss three members of the outstanding English middle-order. Then he got a load of wickets in the rest of the VBS and quite a few in WC2003 (another of the farcial aspects of that tourney).
Since WC2003 he's not been quite so successful, but since that 3-55 in that England game his record is still pretty enviable.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
I dispute Hogg playing in the strongest side. Surely 10 overs of spin can be covered by Symonds, Lehmann & Clarke. Symonds alone is better spinner than Hogg.
yes it certainly is very useful having those 3 who can bowl very useful containing spin. Really something missed in the late 90's early 2000s

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
WC2003 was not a farcical tournament, how many times will you keep saying things like that?
WC2003 championed countless numbers of players like Hogg, and also contained so many non-events that there were three boring games for every interesting one. It was also ruined by the skewed results, and by all the bickering over Zimbabwe-England.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
I dispute Hogg playing in the strongest side. Surely 10 overs of spin can be covered by Symonds, Lehmann & Clarke. Symonds alone is better spinner than Hogg.
Nah, Ponting doesn't seem to rate Clarke's bowling in any situation other than a real turner, which I think is a bit of a shame. He can throw the ball up, sometimes gets some quite good turn, and occasionally he surprises the batsman by having a really round-arm action and spearing the ball in.

I agree with Hogg not being part of the strongest side. He does add some variety to the spin bowling in that he is a chinaman bowler, but he bowls as many four-balls as anyone, and that does not bode well when most batsmen can hit with the spin and slog him right out of the ground.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Casson said:
Nah, Ponting doesn't seem to rate Clarke's bowling in any situation other than a real turner, which I think is a bit of a shame. He can throw the ball up, sometimes gets some quite good turn, and occasionally he surprises the batsman by having a really round-arm action and spearing the ball in.

I agree with Hogg not being part of the strongest side. He does add some variety to the spin bowling in that he is a chinaman bowler, but he bowls as many four-balls as anyone, and that does not bode well when most batsmen can hit with the spin and slog him right out of the ground.
Maybe, but Clarke does bowl a fair bit in ODIs from what I remember.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
A fair bit in ODIs would be at least an over or two per match IMO. Quite a few ODIs can go by without Clarke bowling a single ball.

Dydl

International Debutant
Mr Casson said:

Doesn't Hogg also bat quite well. I remember once he got 81 and was not out, I think, as well as beating Hayden with the bat.

shaka

International Regular
I would prefer to have Clarke as opposed to Hogg, since he is more of a batsman than Hogg, and a useful bowler too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dydl said:
Doesn't Hogg also bat quite well. I remember once he got 81 and was not out, I think, as well as beating Hayden with the bat.
71*, it was - and it played a crucial part in winning a relatively unimportant match. A match, though, that was part of Australia's 14-match winning-streak against England.
Looks to me like it's going to remain the highlight of his ODI-career, but he can bat, there's no doubt about that.

bryce

International Regular
IMO the strongest side is,

1.Gilchrist
2.Hayden
3.Ponting
4.Martyn
5.Lehmann
6.Clarke
7.Symonds
8.Lee
9.Gillespie
10.Kasprowicz
11.McGrath

Dydl

International Debutant
Lee definately needs some match practise, as he has been 12th man all the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I think he needs to be a better bowler than he is - and I don't know that that's possible.

Mister Wright

bryce said:
IMO the strongest side is,

1.Gilchrist
2.Hayden
3.Ponting
4.Martyn
5.Lehmann
6.Clarke
7.Symonds
8.Lee
9.Gillespie
10.Kasprowicz
11.McGrath
I agree with the XI, but not with the order. Symonds has done nothing to suggest that he should be dropped down as low as 7. Infact his game has improved with the move up the order.

Mister Wright

Just thinking about the squad for a bit. Australia were the first team to select a seperate One day squad from test squad, but now their squad almost is identical to the test squad. With the exception of Watson all 14 players have played a test match in the last 18 months.

bryce

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
I agree with the XI, but not with the order. Symonds has done nothing to suggest that he should be dropped down as low as 7. Infact his game has improved with the move up the order.
yes your right he hasn't but i don't know if clarke has either, maybe they should just rotate lehmann/clarke/symonds between positions 5-7 which is what they normally do anyway i think.

Mister Wright

bryce said:
yes your right he hasn't but i don't know if clarke has either, maybe they should just rotate lehmann/clarke/symonds between positions 5-7 which is what they normally do anyway i think.

Clarke is fine at 7. He is the new boy he can bide his time at 7. IMO Lehmann won't be there for much longer anyway, probably go after the Ashes series (if he lasts that long), so he'll shoot up to 6, leaving Watson for 7.