• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer a great cricketer

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Look up the stats and you will see that Vaughan is what everyone calls a bunny and compare that to Langers stats and you will see that your clutching at straws to find something to try and degrade Langer.
Vaughan averages 45.50, Langer 43.96.

Good argument there.

C_C

International Captain
If Langer averages 26 against Ajarkar and you call that a bunny how do you rate Vaughan who only averages 9 against McGrath, do you call him super bunny.
what you 'average' against a bowler is an irrelevant statistic in this argument.
What the 'average' shows is the average of the scores from the dismissals for the said bowler.

Ie,say you score 120,4,4,340,144,220* against a full strength Australia involving all the bowlers. But McGrath dismisses you in the 2nd and 3rd game only.
Then your 'average' against McGrath is: (4+4)/2 = 4.00
(since its the scores you were dismissed at by McGrath/# of dismissals by McGrath for example).

This 'average against bowler' is made irrelevant in case of who's someone's bunny and who isnt.
And Vaughan is a classic example.
He has played one series vs AUS and in the 4 matches that Pidge played in, Vaughan scores:
McGrath scalped him for 33,0,34 and 11, while getting clobbered for 2 tons along the way.....thats not a bunny....
being a Career bunny against someone is Atherton vs McGrath,Atherton vs Ambrose, Mark Waugh vs Ambrose, Cullinan vs Warne,Hick vs Ambrose etc etc.
Career bunny means you've dominated them once-in-a-blue-moon and got hammered by them far more often than you dominated them.

You sometimes see series bunny like Laxman being Warne's bunny last series( He hammered warne in 2001), Lara in 2001 vs McGrath, etc etc.

Thats why McGrath is still playing because he has a bunny in Vaughan and thats why Ajarkar is not playing because he has no bunny.
you play because you are good enough to get into the playing XI. not because if you have a bunny or not. The WI of the 80s had a few bowlers who could make a bunny outta 90% of the world batsmen but didnt play because there were four better bowlers than them.

C_C

International Captain
Scallywag said:
See everybody agrees that Langer is nobodys bunny and he is a great cricketer.
LOL

Langer ? Great ? since when ?
he is GOOD. not great. Is Langer in the Hayden-Tendy-Lara class as a batsman ?nope he aint. They are great. Which makes Langer good, not great.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Looks like McGrath has a rabbit farm in England.

If Langer averages 26 against Ajarkar and you call that a bunny how do you rate Vaughan who only averages 9 against McGrath, do you call him super bunny.

Thats what a bunny is, someone who gets out to a bowler without scoring much and Vaughan is a classic example of a bunny but remember Langer scores three times as much as Vaughan.

Thats why McGrath is still playing because he has a bunny in Vaughan and thats why Ajarkar is not playing because he has no bunny.

Look up the stats and you will see that Vaughan is what everyone calls a bunny and compare that to Langers stats and you will see that your clutching at straws to find something to try and degrade Langer.

So there you go Vaughan is a bunny and Langer is not a bunny.
can you remind me what vaughan averages against australia again?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
See everybody agrees that Langer is nobodys bunny and he is a great cricketer.
Maybe it is because anyone, not necessarily a great bowler, can get him :p

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
I'm talking about the future, so its not sherlock its nostradumus.
my question was "what vaughan averages against australia", which incidentally didnt ask you anything about the future. after talking about how stupid vaughan's captaincy is and how brilliant a captain ponting is before the icc championship, you've been made to look like a fool, the fact is that the score reads vaughan 1 ponting 0.

C_C

International Captain
i think Vaughan's average against OZ is extremely healthy ( i cant be arsed to look up the stats currently)...but somewhere in the 45+ to 55 range....not sure.

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
i think Vaughan's average against OZ is extremely healthy ( i cant be arsed to look up the stats currently)...but somewhere in the 45+ to 55 range....not sure.
it was 63 the last time checked

C_C

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Vaughan 6 tests against AUS 5 losses and 1 dead rubber win
Vaughan 5 ODI's against AUS 4 losses and 1 win

Very impressive.
You should realise that the record of the team is dependent on 11 members and not one person.
Stick Bradman into the Zimboks team and do you really think that him scoring his tons and doubles would save a zimbok defeat ? I suppose Allan Border is an inferior batsman to Larry Gomes since Gomes's WI thumped Border's AUS on a regular basis ?

Perhaps one should think of engaging thy brain before thy fingers ?
8-)

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
You should realise that the record of the team is dependent on 11 members and not one person.
Stick Bradman into the Zimboks team and do you really think that him scoring his tons and doubles would save a zimbok defeat ? I suppose Allan Border is an inferior batsman to Larry Gomes since Gomes's WI thumped Border's AUS on a regular basis ?

Perhaps one should think of engaging thy brain before thy fingers ?
8-)
Vaughan has played 6 test matches against Australia for 5 losses and 1 win and played 5 ODI's for 4 losses and 1 win, You have made up an argument and now you are arguing with yourself, but the fact remains that Vaughan has played 6 tests against Australia for 5 losses and 1 win and played 5 ODI's for 4 losses and 1 win. You are the only one comparing Border to Gnomes and you are the only one who is arguing the point. Now if you want to compare Vaughan to Ponting then there is no comparision because Vaughan is not good enough to be compared to Ponting.

C_C

International Captain
again, i would say engage brain before fingers.
We are talking about how GOOD a batsman Vaughan is and someone compared as to how good a BATSMAN Vaughan is to Langer.

YOU are the one who brought in the Aussie-English record when Vaughan is in the team.
I merely reminded you that team record is irrelevant when you are comparing two BATSMAN/BOWLERS/ALLROUNDERS....as the result depends on the TEAM and not the individual.

I didnt compare Border and Gomes, i only said that if team record is used to judge how good a batsman is, then Gomes should be rated higher than Border, as his team thumped Border's numerous times......
frankly, a ridiculous line of argument.

Like i said before, engage brain before fingers!!