• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer a great cricketer

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When compared to the true greats of the game, Langer doesn't quite match their level. He's never had the raw talent of players of the ilk of Richards, Sachin, Lara, etc. but since being recalled to the Aussie side in 2001, he's been an integral part of the team. He's been one of Australia's best players in a team of stars, not an easy task. He's not quite matched but has at least kept up with the freakish form of Hayden and Ponting.

So yeah, whilst not a freakishly talented player, Langer plays well within his limitations and with some of his innings, he really does touch greatness (127 in Hobart and his double ton against England for example). Langer has been a key player in the current era of Aussie greatness and if he retires tomorrow, he'll know that without a doubt.

C_C

International Captain
So yeah, whilst not a freakishly talented player, Langer plays well within his limitations and with some of his innings, he really does touch greatness (127 in Hobart and his double ton against England for example). Langer has been a key player in the current era of Aussie greatness and if he retires tomorrow, he'll know that without a doubt.
disagree..i can think of atleast 15 openers i would rather have in my team than Langer..... lets not even go into the list of all batsmen....
if you are outside the top 20-25 batsmen of alltime, you aint great. simple as that.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
disagree..i can think of atleast 15 openers i would rather have in my team than Langer..... lets not even go into the list of all batsmen....
if you are outside the top 20-25 batsmen of alltime, you aint great. simple as that.
Good for you CC but a lot of other people will disagree with you.

C_C

International Captain
I'm glad you aknowlege that point.
i guess subtlety is not your cup of tea...
there is a fine line between an acknowledgement and a comment intended for someone else(in this case, you).
next time, i'll try to be a little cruder and more simplistic.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
I think Langer has done 'great things'.

He is not a superbly talented batsmen, he could never bat like Ponting or Clarke or Gilchrist.

He isn't strong, he couldn't bat like MAtt.

He was just this stodgy lil guy with a few pushes here and there, a nick or too, and a pull and a cut. But when he realised that that just wasn't going to cut it anymore, he changed his game and did it very well. It was a 'great' thing that he did.

I liken him to Mark Richardson, doing a 'great' thing of rebuilding and re- inventing himself as a player and doing very sucessfully. Both Richardson and LAnger were not Blessed as cricket players, like POnting, Tendulkar, Lara or myself for that matter :p , but they have both done great things.

Now reazding over that, it doesnt decide if Langer is great, coz thats a very difficult thing to decide, but I do know I respect him for what he has done.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And how does that in any way contradict or even address my point that Langer has been an integral part of the Aussie team and has 'touched' greatness on occasions without actually being a 'great' player?

C_C

International Captain
And how does that in any way contradict or even address my point that Langer has been an integral part of the Aussie team and has 'touched' greatness on occasions without actually being a 'great' player?
coz i dont think he has 'touched' greatness ?
he has been very very good....but touched greatness ?
has he ever top scored in a calendar year ? held any world records?
rubbed shoulders with the best for any patch of his career ?
i think not...

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
coz i dont think he has 'touched' greatness ?
he has been very very good....but touched greatness ?
has he ever top scored in a calendar year ? held any world records?
rubbed shoulders with the best for any patch of his career ?
i think not...

Name the five greatest opening partnerships.

C_C

International Captain
so partnerships is what we are going by eh ?
partnerships is all about being at the right place in the right time..... Boycott and Gooch didnt open for very long.... but i would take em over Hayden and Langer any day of the week.... besides, the partnership is more like Hayden carrying langer on his back than anything else.....
Greatest opening partnerships is not about runs scored together.....for that is the luck of the draw..... depends if you come into this world 10 years too soon or too late..... Greatest opening partnerships is about the best opening partnerships that ever took the field.

But since you ask, i would oblige:

1. Hobbs and Sutcliffe
2. Greenidge and Haynes
3. Bill Lawry and Bob Simpson
4. Conrad Hunte and Roy Fredericks
5. Hayden and Langer

PS: i consider every single batsman named there to be a better opener than Langer...
PPS: i suppose if Warney was the #4 batsman for OZ and batted in the inter-war period, he would figure with Bradman for one of the highest, if not the highest 3rd wicket partnership in history........considering Bradman's phenomenal scoring rate...... but i guess that would be enough to proclaim Warney's great batting eh ?

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
so partnerships is what we are going by eh ?
partnerships is all about being at the right place in the right time..... Boycott and Gooch didnt open for very long.... but i would take em over Hayden and Langer any day of the week.... besides, the partnership is more like Hayden carrying langer on his back than anything else.....
Greatest opening partnerships is not about runs scored together.....for that is the luck of the draw..... depends if you come into this world 10 years too soon or too late..... Greatest opening partnerships is about the best opening partnerships that ever took the field.

But since you ask, i would oblige:

1. Hobbs and Sutcliffe
2. Greenidge and Haynes
3. Bill Lawry and Bob Simpson
4. Conrad Hunte and Roy Fredericks
5. Hayden and Langer

PS: i consider every single batsman named there to be a better opener than Langer...
PPS: i suppose if Warney was the #4 batsman for OZ and batted in the inter-war period, he would figure with Bradman for one of the highest, if not the highest 3rd wicket partnership in history........considering Bradman's phenomenal scoring rate...... but i guess that would be enough to proclaim Warney's great batting eh ?
If Warne scored 19 centuries and 22 fifties with a top score of 250 like Langer then he would deserve it.

Compared to Haydens 20 centuries and 16 fifties.

Sort of makes them equal partners dont you agree.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Scallywag said:
And Hunte's 8 centuries and 13 fifties really outshines Langers 19 centuries and 22 fifties.
ofcourse, you convinently forgot the quality of the opposition and the # of matches played during that timeframe eh ?

i suppose then Tendy is better than Bradman as his 33 tons and 38 fifties outshines the Don's 29 tons and 15(?) fifties...
:D

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
ofcourse, you convinently forgot the quality of the opposition and the # of matches played during that timeframe eh ?

i suppose then Tendy is better than Bradman as his 33 tons and 38 fifties outshines the Don's 29 tons and 15(?) fifties...
:D
If Bradmans and Tendulkars averages were only 2 runs difference then yes I would say yes Tendulkar is better but Bradmans average is almost twice Tendulkars so no.

Hunte is only 1.something better than Langers but Langer has produced a lot more than Hunte over a longer period so I would say Langer has a far better record than Hunte.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scallywag said:
If Bradmans and Tendulkars averages were only 2 runs difference then yes I would say yes Tendulkar is better but Bradmans average is almost twice Tendulkars so no.

Hunte is only 1.something better than Langers but Langer has produced a lot more than Hunte over a longer period so I would say Langer has a far better record than Hunte.
So you do choose to ignore the bowling attacks that they may have faced??

C_C

International Captain
Hunte is only 1.something better than Langers but Langer has produced a lot more than Hunte over a longer period so I would say Langer has a far better record than Hunte
over a longer period ?
do you wanna check the duration of Hunte's career and compare/contrast with Langer's ?

If you play more matches than me, it doenst make you better than me. It just makes you a benefactor of more opportunities.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
over a longer period ?
do you wanna check the duration of Hunte's career and compare/contrast with Langer's ?

If you play more matches than me, it doenst make you better than me. It just makes you a benefactor of more opportunities.
So Sutcliffe, Paynter, Barrington, Hammond , Hobbs and Hutton are all better than Tendulkar.