• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne.

C_C

International Captain
Warne Before 1998:

62 matches, 289 wickets @ 24.08 , B-B: 8-71 5-fers: 12 10-fers: 3 Strike Rate: 62.91

Warne 1998 and after:

53 matches, 252 wickets @ 27.32 B-B: 7-165 5-fers:16 10-fers: 5 Strike Rate: 56.14

Note: stats dont include the current match vs NZ in progress.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
wow, that really suprises me, especially the strike rate pre 1998. average says a lot though. i think it reflects the difficulty of the leg spinning art that we all hold warne in such high regard, yet his average and strike rate aren't as good as many others

a massive zebra

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
wow, that really suprises me, especially the strike rate pre 1998. average says a lot though. i think it reflects the difficulty of the leg spinning art that we all hold warne in such high regard, yet his average and strike rate aren't as good as many others
Or maybe it shows that he is highly overrated.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
could anyone find out how warne's statistics compare pre injuries of 1998 and 1999 to now?. IIRC he came back at the west indies seried of 1999. he has never gained the same purchase on the ball that he used to have, IMO.
He can rip it, just doesn't as much - he can vary how much rip he applies.

Swervy

International Captain
I havent been on here for a bit..and I cannot beleive we still have a kind of Warne vs Murali thing going on :D

tooextracool

International Coach
as long as certain people continue to post their 13 reasons as to why murali is better than warne(despite the fact that it has already been shown to be wrong), im afraid that will always be the case......
welcome back to the mayhem swervy!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Swervy said:
I havent been on here for a bit..and I cannot beleive we still have a kind of Warne vs Murali thing going on :D
What, are you surprised ? :D

The greatest debate in cricket ever will go on and on and on ........ :p

the source of most threads and most posts on cricket forums and chats......... :)

They will still be talking about it in a hundred years from now with a couple of hundred posters and no one willing to give up on their argument and repeating themselves many hundred times over and over again.... :wacko:

Last edited:

DJellett

International Debutant
Shane Warne reinvented spin bowlin g and saved it from a time when it was dying in Australia.

Everyone wanted to bowl like Holding, Garner, Lilee and all the other fast bowlers of the 70's, 80's and early 90's, because they were a joy to watch, whereas spin was considered by some as boring.

Shane Warne brought spin bowling back in it's own right and made it as exciting part of the game as any other aspect.

As far as spin bowling, and in fact bowling in general goes, Shane Warne is a legend.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
DJellett said:
Shane Warne reinvented spin bowlin g and saved it from a time when it was dying in Australia.

Everyone wanted to bowl like Holding, Garner, Lilee and all the other fast bowlers of the 70's, 80's and early 90's, because they were a joy to watch, whereas spin was considered by some as boring.

Shane Warne brought spin bowling back in it's own right and made it as exciting part of the game as any other aspect.

As far as spin bowling, and in fact bowling in general goes, Shane Warne is a legend.
True, though this maybe (and is) , this is not pertinent to the debate on who is a better spinner.

Warne has enough credentials as a great spinner and doesn't need these non-relevant arguments to be presented in his favour, howsoever true they may be.

C_C

International Captain
actually warne did not 're-glamourise' spin bowling.
The generation of Shane Warne, Murali,Kumble, McGill etc. are inspired by one man: Abdul Qadir.
he was the 'dark sheep' of his era, bowling mesmerizing spin when there wasnt a single good spinner left after 1979.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think so man. No disrespect to Abdul Qadir, IMO he was a great spinner, but I dont think he inspired anyone outside Pakistan. Infact I was more inspired by Laxman Shivaramkrishnan than Qadir.

Deja moo

International Captain
Sanz said:
I dont think so man. No disrespect to Abdul Qadir, IMO he was a great spinner, but I dont think he inspired anyone outside Pakistan. Infact I was more inspired by Laxman Shivaramkrishnan than Qadir.
Cant wait for Neil Pickup to inspire a whole new generation of wrist spinners . :)

biased indian

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Or maybe it actually shows that the pitches he plays on are non very suited to spin at all?
to prove u r point correct :D :D :D

he has performed at his best when he was presented with the most suitable picthes for a spinner the ones in india :D :D :D