• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann - Is His Career Over?

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I feel that Lehmann has finished his career now. With the way Clarke batted in India and Ponting back from injury, I can't see him getting selected again. And I am sure he feels the same way.

I just hope he has no regrets about his career, however long it took for him to get a spot in the XI.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
howardj said:
Other than making runs on absolute 'belters' in the Carribean last year, Boof has hardly made himself indespensible. I think the selectors would be mad to re-include him at the expense of Clarke and Katich, who both have plenty of cricket ahead of them.

Personally, Ive lost a bit of respect for Boof this series. It just seemed a bit self-serving of him to come out - so publicly - and volunteer to stand aside for Clarke. I mean, if you're really serious, then just tell the selectors your intentions privately, rather than coming out in public and trying to make a hero of yourself.
sounds like another queenslander bitter about the fact Martin Love hasnt played more tests....

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
well i, QLD, and in this Australian team, Im wouldn't pick him or feel any bitter feelings that he never made it.

Mattie Hayden did, so thats all I cared about.

anzac

International Debutant
Joao_Quinto said:
Im not so sure, even if a smidgeon bias, that if Kat or Clarkey lose form that Boof will slip back in. Shane watson is as good as any young batsman in Australia and is the same age as Clarke. If he is ever going to get his chance the Ashes is as good a time as any. Watson has been in every touring party I can remember since his first FC season and since those Stress Fractures in his back his batting has improved out of site. He reminds me an awful lot of Kallis. No disrespect to Boof's bowling but Watto if he can tighten up his bowling could be a little more than just handy. With Watto batting at 6 Australia have 5 bowlers. Not to mention the whole "I'll step down for Clarke" give the young fellas a go attitude that Boofer seems to have adopted.
But as I said, Bias. :D
I agree with Watson as a future prospective allrounder role in the side, but not while the current bowling lineup is intact & performing as they are atm.........I'm looking at it purely from a batting perspective

IMO Katich & Clarke have basically only played v spin & the verdict is out as to how they will go in ENG..........I'm sure they will be fine but there could be some early jitters etc...............

if the likes of Love & Maher are no longer in contention for squad spots, then I'm leaning towards the likes of Elliott & Hussey along with Boof...........

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Clarke averaged mid 30's playing for Hampshire, so he didn't do too well.

Regarding Lehmann, it would be a great shame if his career is over - the man has had to wait so long to get into the team.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
anzac said:
I agree with Watson as a future prospective allrounder role in the side, but not while the current bowling lineup is intact & performing as they are atm.........I'm looking at it purely from a batting perspective

IMO Katich & Clarke have basically only played v spin & the verdict is out as to how they will go in ENG..........I'm sure they will be fine but there could be some early jitters etc...............

if the likes of Love & Maher are no longer in contention for squad spots, then I'm leaning towards the likes of Elliott & Hussey along with Boof...........
I agree that the selectors would be looking mostly from a batting perspective and what im saying is that I feel that Watson is the next best after clarke with the bat that is under 25 in Australia. The fact that he is alrounder was only mentioned becase the post I quoted mentioned that boof was a handy bowler (which i do agree with).

I feel that if they do not re-pick boof if the opportunity arises then Watson would be the logical choice IMO. Elliot is around the same age and an opener (dont think JL and Haydos are going anywere), plus Boof is a better, more versitile player. Hussey and hodge are the other ones that I believe would be considered but I still think that while we have gilchrist batting at 7 giving us an effective 7 batsman, it is a good time to introduce Watson, especially seeing as the short to long term indicators from the selectors seem to imply he will eventually be part of the team anyway.

Linda

Joao_Quinto said:
... I still think that while we have gilchrist batting at 7 giving us an effective 7 batsman, it is a good time to introduce Watson, especially seeing as the short to long term indicators from the selectors seem to imply he will eventually be part of the team anyway.
Sounds good to me! :happy:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He can still comeback if Hayden continues playing like this and we might see a repeat of what happened in 2001 Ashes during the 2005 Ashes. They replaced Slater with Martyn and asked Langer to open back then. Maybe now, they will replace Hayden with Lehmann and ask Katich to open, if Katich can maintain his good form..... Not very probable, but possible.

Linda

honestbharani said:
He can still comeback if Hayden continues playing like this and we might see a repeat of what happened in 2001 Ashes during the 2005 Ashes. They replaced Slater with Martyn and asked Langer to open back then. Maybe now, they will replace Hayden with Lehmann and ask Katich to open, if Katich can maintain his good form..... Not very probable, but possible.
Um. Dont think so.

howardj

International Coach
broncoman said:
sounds like another queenslander bitter about the fact Martin Love hasnt played more tests....
That's wrong - I couldnt care less that Love hasnt represented Aust more often. Love is weak against quality spin, and is a 'nicker'.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Joao_Quinto said:
The fact that he is alrounder was only mentioned becase the post I quoted mentioned that boof was a handy bowler (which i do agree with).
Lehmann is a useful marmite bowler, but he's a fill-in on the sub-continent apart from that.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:

hayden is going now where hate to dissapoint ya!

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
I hope not but the writing is certainly on the wall. The depth of Australian batting talent is so strong that even a brief period of bad form can see a batsman permanently banished back to the domestic league.

Lehmann is a sad case. It was once said that had he been born in any other nation he would hav eplayed over a 100 tests by now. As it is he set the domestic league on fire whilst other players stepped up into a baggy green.

I for one would like to see him continue playing in the test and ODI team. Yet when you have the likes of Maher, Love, Hodge and Hussey in the wings, the chances of him doing so are slim.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Western Warrior said:
It was once said that had he been born in any other nation he would hav eplayed over a 100 tests by now.
People say that about half the batsmen in domestic cricket. If it's true for every one of them, a lot of Australians have missed out on becoming Test centurions. 8-)

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Casson said:
People say that about half the batsmen in domestic cricket. If it's true for every one of them, a lot of Australians have missed out on becoming Test centurions. 8-)
Well said. I keep wondering why Stuart Law didn't receive more chances. He subbed once in a test for an injured Steve Waugh and made a half century. However, that was the last we saw of him. He did have a longer run in the ODI team where he demonstrated a weakness against spin.

Yet having seen him play against the likes of Warne in the ING and Pura Milk Cup I think he was quite an accomplished player against the slower bowlers.

In the end I think he was yet another player who didn't get the chances he deserved to showcase his talent.