• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great ODI batsmen

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It may just be me, but people have a pretty loose consideration for 'great' given some of the names listed here.
well i think the person who started this thread intended on mentioning ODI players he liked watching the most rather than the best ODI players. then it got modified along the way and this happened......

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No matter what TEC says, SRT would remain one of the top two batsmen ever to play ODI cricket. IVAR ofcourse, is the other.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Read the whole post rather than selectively snipping.
so despite averaging 6.5 runs less than bevan we should assume that richards was far far better than bevan?
and if richards was better than bevan despite averaging 6 runs less, where does that leave sachin who averages lower than the both of them?

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
No matter what TEC says, SRT would remain one of the top two batsmen ever to play ODI cricket. IVAR ofcourse, is the other.
dont be ridiculous, there is absolutely no reason why bevan shouldnt be rated amongst the top ODI batsmen ever, and if you've read my posts ive clearly said that sachin is amongst the top 3 ODI players of all time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
TEC, Can you please put your list in the order of best to worse (top 5 at least). And also the criteria you used, It just couldn't be their batting average, Can it ??

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
sachin and viv would certainly be the very best....then a whole host of exceptional players like haynes, anwar, bevan....

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
TEC, Can you please put your list in the order of best to worse (top 5 at least). And also the criteria you used, It just couldn't be their batting average, Can it ??
ok i shall put forward my top 5, and yes it doesnt have to do with batting averages solely.

1)bevan- for consistency in performance under pressure, for being able to adapt and play any sort of innings in any situation, maintaining a brilliant average, having an excellent calculating mind knowing precisely when to play the big shot and for his never say die spirit and winning games from absolutely nowhere.
2)tendulkar&richards - no explanation required, one was the most desructive player of his time, at a time when ODI cricket wasnt as advanced as it is now, while the other has performed consistently and scored century after century everywhere in the world.
4) dean jones - underrated, yet consistent performer and was the first one to show everyone how ODI cricket should be played. his last 2 years were extremely poor by his standard, dropped his average down from 47 to 44, pretty good by the standards then and a player capable of playing every type of innings.
5) javed miandad - again another player who was capable of adapting to the situation, and with a presence of mind that was only matched by bevan in knowing when to play the big shots.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
then im afraid you know nothing about ODI cricket......
Thank you so much for the certificate.....sir !!

Coming from YOU its a RARE honour :p :p :p

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
KennyD said:
what about Michael Bevan? Now thats some beauty to watch him craft his magic with the blade.
Agreed, when I saw that list I thought it was an error but after it was posted again it looks like Bevan was a deliberate ommission.

As proof I offer the following article. I cannot claim credit for it, it was actually written by a member of the www.howstat.com community in 2002 but it does a good job justifying his inclusion in a list of all-time great ODI players

Michael Bevan - Statistical Review - ODI Cricket

Michael Bevan is without doubt the most successful, and arguably the best batsman in the history of One Day International matches. His outstanding batting average, is what statistically sets him apart from his peers, and an analysis below of his statistics also helps to confirm this.

His current average of 57.49 (5,634 runs) is a staggering 9.86 better than the next best batsman on the averages list (batsmen playing a minimum of 30 innings). Zaheer Abbas (PAK) with an average of 47.63 (2,572 runs) is second on the list, and Sir Vivian Richards who is is perhaps a more valid comparison, is third on the list with an average of 47.00.(6,721 runs) The next best Australian batsman is Dean Jones, who scored 6,068 runs at an average of 44.62. See Players Batting 30 Innings with Average of 35 or Better.

To further emphasise the gap between his performances and the rest, there have been 21 players in ODI matches who have averaged over 40.00, (compared to 27 players who have averaged over 50.00 in Test Cricket) and 16 of those 21 players averaged between 40.00 an 45.00.

There is no doubt that Bevan’s ability to bat through to the completion of the innings, has obviously contributed to his incredible average. However, it has also been of immense value to Australia, as he has often successfully performed the difficult task of batting out the final 10 overs with both the middle order and the tail. To illustrate this, in his 150 innings he has been not out on 52 occasions (34.66% of his innings).

His ability to bat under pressure is undoubted, and the statistics show that his average of 58.12 which he recorded when his side is batting second, is marginally better than the 57.04 he recorded when his team is batting first. See Performance Analysis by Innings Number.

He has also demonstrated his ability to bat well and make runs in varying conditions on most grounds throughout the world, and has recorded an average of over 100.00 on five grounds in four different countries. The respective grounds, averages, and countries are: the Brisbane Cricket Ground (167.00) (AUS), Arbab Niaz Stadium (102.00), and Gadaffi Stadium (110.00) (both PAK), SuperSport Park (103.00) (SAF), and Kennington Oval (134.00) (ENG). See Performance by Ground.

His average in ODI matches played in Australia is 62.03, and his average in matches played overseas is 54.73. In fact he has played 89 of his 150 innings in other countries, and scored 3,339 runs. He has an average of 50.00 or more in six of the eight other Test playing countries in which he has batted. Bangladesh is excluded, as he has not batted in that country. The only two countries where his average is below his lofty standard, are New Zealand (36.50), and Sri Lanka (33.25). He also has an average of 85.00 at Sharjah where he has played in 8 matches. See Performance by Country.

The statistical breakdown of his batting analysis, also demonstrates his versatility, and ability to bat anywhere from number 3 to number 7. He has scored 77* from 1 innings at number 3, scored 2087 runs at an average of 61.38 at number 4, 1001 runs at an average of 40.04 at number 5, scored 2,197 runs at an average of 68.66 at number 6, and scored 269 runs at an average of 44.83 at number 7. See Performance Analysis by Batting Position.

In summary, it will be interesting to see where his ODI career goes from here. He really has nothing more to prove, and his only real challenge will be to find the motivation to maintain his current level of performance, which as the statistics show, are without peer.

My top five ODI players in no particular order (only criteria was they must still be playing because it would be difficult to compare the likes of Dean Jones to the players below despite his achievements in the mid to late eighties):

1 - Sachin Tendulkar 13415 runs @ 45.02
2 - Inzamam Ul Haq 10192 runs @ 39.20
3 - Sanath Jayasuriya 9853 runs @ 31.89
4 - Surav Ganguly 9789 runs @ 42.01
5 - Brian Lara 8921 runs @ 42.28

Last edited:

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Western Warrior said:
1 - Sachin Tendulkar 13415 runs @ 45.02
2 - Inzamam Ul Haq 10192 runs @ 39.20
3 - Sanath Jayasuriya 9853 runs @ 31.89
4 - Surav Ganguly 9789 runs @ 42.01
5 - Brian Lara 8921 runs @ 42.28
How on earth can you have the likes of jayasuriya and especially ganguly ahead of lara.Ganguly is great against the likes of bangladesh UAE but the true mark of a batsman is how he measures up against the best team in the world and hes always struggled against australia.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dont see why Jayasuriya gets in there..

an avrage of 31 is hardly amazing his strike rate is good but not pehnomanal.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's a player that is IMO quite over-rated amongst One Day Batsmen.

I'd also say that at the same time he's slightly under-rated as a Test opener.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
He's a player that is IMO quite over-rated amongst One Day Batsmen.

I'd also say that at the same time he's slightly under-rated as a Test opener.
So on an average he is fairly rated ? :p