• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

players Who You Thought WOULDN'T Make It.............

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
but apparently all it takes is poor shots to get 400 wickets, as mcgrath and pollock have shown. so why cant bowlers like agarkar get 400 wickets too? why cant vaas be remotely as successful as mcgrath and pollock then?
I've never once said all it takes to get wickets is poor shots, that's just your usual attempts to put words on my keyboard.
I have, however, said a large proportion of those wickets in the last 3 years have come on flat wickets through poor strokes.
And the reason other bowlers can't have the same success is, fairly obviously, because most bowlers don't get the same proportion of poor strokes.
yes but if you are 'fairly confident' that he wont do something, when he actually does it, it must be said that he has proved you wrong, because he has done something you didnt believe he could do.
No, it musn't.
I never once said Harmison didn't have potential, I certainly never once said "he won't" do this or that (because then if whatever it was I was on about happened I would be proven wrong) and though something I didn't expect to happen happened that doesn't "prove wrong" at all.
Because the only way to be "proven wrong" is when you say something "will not" happen and it happens (or vice-versa).
All I ever said about Harmison is that he has not got wickets through good bowling, and so far that hasn't changed. But I've not said he's not got the potential to do it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. P said:
Hmm I know I have probably joined in a bit late but I think this comment is a bit of a generalisation - do you think this applies to every situation?
I must have had this discussion 100 times - no, I don't think that just because you've made a batsman play-and-miss 5 times in a row that the 6th ball which is cut to point deserves to be caught.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
and how many wickets are taken with wicket taking balls? if you look at any match outside of a seamers paradise or an absolute turner you will see that far more often wickets are taken off good but not wicket taking balls. wicket taking balls are far more often too good for the batsman and dont come too often, and therefore they dont take many wickets.
A ball that is too good for the batsman isn't a wicket-taking ball - it's a Jaffa.
A wicket-taking ball has to take a wicket. A ball that takes a wicket doesn't have to be a wicket-taking ball, though.
Neither, however, does a wicket-taking ball have to be a RUD, an example being Shoaib-Yuvraj Singh today. That wasn't realistically unplayable, because he could have left it, but he was drawn into playing it, it moved away and deserved the wicket in itself.
But of course one-day-cricket isn't always the best form to look at those sorts of things.
oh i dont like wickets off long hops or leg stump balls either, and when that happens you are dead right that the bowler no matter how well he bowled previously doesnt deserve the wicket. which is why i dont rate macgill. but i personally dont mind it if a bowler bowls 3 balls that got the batsman playing and missing and then bowls a good delivery that the batsman plays a poor shot to and gets out. the bowler hasnt done anything wrong at all, if everything in the world were fair he should have got a wicket with his 3 previous deliveries, but the fact that he got it with the 4th delivery, suggests that he deserved the wicket.
Funny how you don't rate MacGill but you did all that work previously trying to prove he was better than I was saying he was.
and i too like bowlers(like craig white) who could do tricks with the ball rather than being naturally gifted. but that doesnt mean that people who can do that should be dismissed as useless. face it there have been several batsman who had barely any technique but who were naturally gifted with such brilliant hand-eye coordination that they didnt need it at all. and hand eye coordination and reflexes is also something that you are born with, something that you cant learn. people like vivian richards didnt have much technique, or concentration, yet he will go down as a great batsman. i dont see you saying anything about how lucky he was or that bowlers bowled poor balls only to him.
finally you make a post of sense, its all about your preference, you personally dont like bowlers who are 'naturally gifted' and therefore refuse to look at any of their achievements or even consider them as good players.
I don't like bowlers who are naturally gifted, eh?
I think most people would have considered Malcolm Marshall pretty naturally gifted, and though I never saw him bowl live I still rate him the finest bowler of the modern (post-1930) era.
And to call Viv Richards a player of no technique or concentration is plain ignorant. He had a thoroughly sound technique and would not have been able to bat for the lengths he batted for of times without fantastic concentration.
Just because something is not the first thing that strikes you about a cricketer does not mean they do not possess it in abundance.
It is generalisation to think that, for instance, pace (85mph+) bowlers cannot be seam and swing bowlers; similarly, that batsmen who clearly possess the ability to score quickly do not have extremely good concentration.
The best bowlers are Darren Gough\Craig White-type movement bowlers who have a large amount of the natural assests: height, pace and accuracy. A la Dennis Lillee, Michael Holding, Curtley Ambrose. Most of the best bowlers also have a perfect natural action.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Or like Martin Bicknell who will always get wickets in the domestic First-Class game and you put him into the Test-matches and wonder why he's not been there for the last 10 years.

Wondered so much so that he hasn't played since?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
I think no Long-Hop deserves a wicket.
Simple as.
Define long-hop. Can the bowler intentionally have bowled a so called "long-hop?"

I think you can...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
I've never once said all it takes to get wickets is poor shots, that's just your usual attempts to put words on my keyboard.
I have, however, said a large proportion of those wickets in the last 3 years have come on flat wickets through poor strokes.
And the reason other bowlers can't have the same success is, fairly obviously, because most bowlers don't get the same proportion of poor strokes.
That's a rather simplistic way of looking at it, there are many reasons some bowlers get a higher 'proportion of poor strokes'. Pace, bounce, flight/deception, accuracy etc. all come into it and if you looked at it properly these are all bowling skill in one form or another except for maybe bounce. You still have to bowl well, last season (2003) Durham had a bowler who was around 6ft 10, didn't stop him being released at the end of the season (he averaged over 37 with the ball in First-Class cricket). I'm sure the next thing you'll say is short, left-handed batsmen are luckier.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
That's a rather simplistic way of looking at it, there are many reasons some bowlers get a higher 'proportion of poor strokes'. Pace, bounce, flight/deception, accuracy etc. all come into it and if you looked at it properly these are all bowling skill in one form or another except for maybe bounce. You still have to bowl well, last season (2003) Durham had a bowler who was around 6ft 10, didn't stop him being released at the end of the season (he averaged over 37 with the ball in First-Class cricket). I'm sure the next thing you'll say is short, left-handed batsmen are luckier.
Yes that's exactly right. Just because the batsman played a poor stroke that does not mean the bowlers didn't do it well. He forced the error, in many cases.

Of course a bowler can intentionally bowl a long-hop. As with the former paragraph, the bowler forces the error. A long-hop can be the perfect way of dismissal.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Richard said:
Or like Martin Bicknell who will always get wickets in the domestic First-Class game and you put him into the Test-matches and wonder why he's not been there for the last 10 years.
Interesting that Bicknell also has the advantage of being a 6ft 5in monster of a man who would get bounce even if he bowled underarm isn't it? I thought you preferred bowlers who didn't take the "easy route" of being tall?

Mutiah Muralithiran. With an action like that im suprised he got past school cricket, let alone grade, turf, state and international. Also another player that i thought wouldnt make it was Watson but once again he has proved me wrong and why aussie selectors have persisted with him even though he has not proven himself with ball or bat in either form of the game is beyond me.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. P said:
Yes that's exactly right. Just because the batsman played a poor stroke that does not mean the bowlers didn't do it well. He forced the error, in many cases.

Of course a bowler can intentionally bowl a long-hop. As with the former paragraph, the bowler forces the error. A long-hop can be the perfect way of dismissal.
*cough*7-12*cough*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It does seem that there are a few sore-throats doing the rounds, we've heard a lot of coughing on the board of the last week or so.
Personally I have the consideration to avoid the chance of passing these viruses by not coughing on the boards, even though I doubt ripping my trachea out would make my throat hurt more than it does ATM.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Wondered so much so that he hasn't played since?
Which changes the fact that almost everyone said he bowled really well and should have been playing a lot more for the last 10 years how?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. P said:
Define long-hop. Can the bowler intentionally have bowled a so called "long-hop?"

I think you can...
Anyone who intentionally bowls a Long-Hop needs their head examined.
Because probably 19 times out of 20 it'll go for runs. And maybe 79 times out of 80 it won't take a wicket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
Nicky Hatch, is the man you're thinking of - and IIRR he is 6"7', not 6"10'.
Why on Earth would I say short left-handers are more lucky? I've never seen anything to suggest they get more dropped catches, poor lbw decisions etc. than the rest.
There are plenty of bowlers who bowl with all the advantages you name above but do not get the proportion of poor strokes Pollock and McGrath tend to on flat wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
2 more great bowlers who only seem to take wickets through being lucky that bad shots are played against them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Interesting that Bicknell also has the advantage of being a 6ft 5in monster of a man who would get bounce even if he bowled underarm isn't it? I thought you preferred bowlers who didn't take the "easy route" of being tall?
I think shorter bowlers who get outstanding averages (eg Marshall) have bowled better than taller ones, because everyone knows taller bowlers have a bigger margin-for-error in length.
But that doesn't mean I prefer to watch shorter bowlers bowling, or having success - Bicknell does everything I enjoy watching in bowling - uses all movement techniques, used to bowl with outstanding accuracy (has kind of lost it in the last 3 years), uses his head in his variation of length, pace and direction of movement. I love to watch all of that.