View Poll Results: Is it a catch

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not a catch

    10 62.50%
  • Yes a catch

    4 25.00%
  • Athlai stole PEWS' girl

    2 12.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58

Thread: IS this a catch?

  1. #31
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    You've got to draw the line somewhere. If you take a catch it mid-air then you're not considered to have control of the catch until you're on the ground with the ball safely held off the turf.
    Agreed the line must be drawn somewhere. But I cannot see how either Abbott or Ponting could complete those catches without there being some sort of contact with ball and grass. And if we're not accepting those catches, we're taking away from the game. Both were caught clean and controlled in the moments before hitting the ground.

    This one is pretty hard to tell without the right camera angles, but another case study: ICC World Cup: NZ v Sri Lanka - McCullum v Jayawardene - Best denied catch ever - YouTube

    The fact that Doull says it's out makes me think not.

  2. #32
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sitting up straight on the back of a bus
    Posts
    6,159
    Nah, it's perfectly possible to take a brilliant jumping catch and land in a way that you don't turf the ball. Yes, they had it controlled moments before hitting the ground, but if that was the criteria for a clean catch then we'd have to allow fielders to take catches landing on or outside the boundary rope for the same reason. Fact is, how you land the catch is, and always has been, utterly essential.

    That McCullum catch was turfed imo, but only just. By no fault of his own though, he could barely get three fingertips on it with a full length dive.
    Exit pursuing a beer

  3. #33
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,588
    So you think Ponting and Abbott could have landed with the ball away from the turf? I don't. Not without causing injury.

  4. #34
    Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Stopping the AFL spreading to NZ
    Posts
    9,052
    Defintely Abbott could have - havn't seen the Ponting catch. He just had to turn his hand side on.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.


  5. #35
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Colonies
    Posts
    42,640
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    So you think Ponting and Abbott could have landed with the ball away from the turf? I don't. Not without causing injury.
    I'm not saying it shouldn't be a catch, but I don't really like this particular line of logic. It'd be like pointing out that a player couldn't catch the ball without it bouncing twice first because he was too far away from it originally and then awarding the catch on that basis, or saying that a player couldn't catch the ball without going over the rope etc etc.

    If you can't complete a fair catch then that's tough ****; it's not a birthright.
    ~ Cribbage

  6. #36
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,271
    fmd mahela just loves to stand there doesn't he.
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

  7. #37
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sitting up straight on the back of a bus
    Posts
    6,159
    Fair enough in that instance tbh.

  8. #38
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,271
    perhaps but seen him stand there vs clarke and vs dhuss? off clean slips catches too

    on ya bike!

  9. #39
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sitting up straight on the back of a bus
    Posts
    6,159
    Yes, because Clarke has a flawless record of clean catch judgement

    Though I'll admit I don't think I've seen the ones you're referring to.

  10. #40
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,271
    well shut ya trap on ya bike or have a look first kiwi ****

  11. #41
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I'm not saying it shouldn't be a catch, but I don't really like this particular line of logic. It'd be like pointing out that a player couldn't catch the ball without it bouncing twice first because he was too far away from it originally and then awarding the catch on that basis, or saying that a player couldn't catch the ball without going over the rope etc etc.

    If you can't complete a fair catch then that's tough ****; it's not a birthright.
    This is a pretty weak comparison. It has nothing to do with being far away from it, or being near the rope. For your first example, he should have been in a different position in order to catch it. Second one, he's out of the boundaries of play. Simple.

    A better comparison would be a batsman sliding his bat in and having to avoid a throw. Through self preservation, if he has made his crease, leaping or not having his bat grounded is okay. Same with the catch. Catch taken, held onto for a good period of time, self preservation to not end up with a nose splattered on turf. Catch. Out.

  12. #42
    International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    This is a pretty weak comparison. It has nothing to do with being far away from it, or being near the rope. For your first example, he should have been in a different position in order to catch it. Second one, he's out of the boundaries of play. Simple.

    A better comparison would be a batsman sliding his bat in and having to avoid a throw. Through self preservation, if he has made his crease, leaping or not having his bat grounded is okay. Same with the catch. Catch taken, held onto for a good period of time, self preservation to not end up with a nose splattered on turf. Catch. Out.
    That wouldn't be an ideal comparison as the ball was thrown by someone else and the batsman has no control over it. What would be a better comparison, is a batsman diving in to complete a single but because of the angle at which he is holding the bat, it plonks up and is not grounded. He is out there. Same with the catch. Not out.

  13. #43
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Colonies
    Posts
    42,640
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    For your first example, he should have been in a different position in order to catch it.
    You could say the same for the bloke who isn't in a good enough position to catch the ball with landing head first or sliding the ball along the ground as well though. You could definitely make the argument that, as per the laws of the game, letting the ball bounce once before catching it and grounding it before you've got control over your own movements both invalidate a catch, and whether or not you could've done it any other way is equally irrelevant to both situations.

    Look, as I said, I'm easy either way on those being ruled catches or not as long as it's consistent as there are arguments both ways, but I completely reject the "he couldn't have completed the catch without doing that" argument as there are lots of other reasons players can't compete catches, like the bail sailing over the ropes, the batsman hitting the ball straight into the ground or the batsman not hitting the ball at all. Completing a catch off every attempt is not a birthright.

    Essentially your argument is if we don't allow those to be catches, he can't have taken a catch in that situation. I say tough ****; there are in fact many, many balls in each match where a catch is impossible.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 25-02-2012 at 01:03 PM.

  14. #44
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sitting up straight on the back of a bus
    Posts
    6,159
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    well shut ya trap on ya bike or have a look first kiwi ****
    When someone responds saying they haven't seen an incident, usually the onus is usually on the other person to back themselves up and provide a video link. How am I meant to know exactly what you're referring to otherwise?

  15. #45
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,271

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Great Test Matches..
    By Neil Pickup in forum General
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
  2. ***Official*** India in Australia
    By pasag in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12920
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 05:04 AM
  3. Replies: 149
    Last Post: 23-12-2007, 03:49 AM
  4. Test Catch Cricket
    By Anna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 30-01-2007, 05:36 PM
  5. Classic Catch Flash Game
    By mrtruffle in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 03:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •