Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Learning to bowl off spin ?

  1. #1
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    london
    Posts
    22

    Learning to bowl off spin ?

    I am a senior player but am keen to learn how to bowl off spin to become a useful member of my team. I spent a couple of hours on my own in a net and was experimenting in bowling with a strong arm and shoulder action to propel the ball at a decent pace. I have never had any cricket coaching and feel myself falling to one side occasionially. Do you have to keep your head dead still when bowling ? I find that pretty tough.

    Also there is a cricket centre near me with level 2 and 3 coaches and i believe you can pay a fee for an hours guidance and coaching- do people think that is worth while ?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,754
    I'm assuming you're a complete beginner. If not please ignore.

    If you feel the price is reasonable then go for it. If not, try finding friends who are experienced and play cricket. Watch a couple of youtube videos on how to bowl and practice in the nets. Don't try anything fancy like a top spinner, work on your stock delivery, at most try a couple of faster ones. Accuracy, flight and revolutions on the ball are what you should be concentrating on in that order.

    Try to keep your head as steady as possible, no one can keep it dead still. As for your bowling stride, make sure at the point of release your left foot (if you're a right hander) is acting like a pivot on the crease and try to release the ball as high as possible. I don't really get your problem with falling over, usually poses a problem to pace bowlers.

    YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I'm assuming you're a complete beginner. If not please ignore.

    If you feel the price is reasonable then go for it. If not, try finding friends who are experienced and play cricket. Watch a couple of youtube videos on how to bowl and practice in the nets. Don't try anything fancy like a top spinner, work on your stock delivery, at most try a couple of faster ones. Accuracy, flight and revolutions on the ball are what you should be concentrating on in that order.

    Try to keep your head as steady as possible, no one can keep it dead still. As for your bowling stride, make sure at the point of release your left foot (if you're a right hander) is acting like a pivot on the crease and try to release the ball as high as possible. I don't really get your problem with falling over, usually poses a problem to pace bowlers.

    YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1
    Agree with most of this, although I personally would re-arrange your order of accuracy, flight, and revolutions. I'd focus all my attention on getting a good rip on the ball, the accuracy and flight can be developed, but firstly just try and get as many revs on the ball as you can, imo.

  4. #4
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    london
    Posts
    22
    I take it you need a pretty wide grip with the first two fingers and a pretty firm grip and a fast 'arm past the ear' action ?


  5. #5
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,754
    Quote Originally Posted by ringo1968 View Post
    I take it you need a pretty wide grip with the first two fingers and a pretty firm grip and a fast 'arm past the ear' action ?
    Firm grip is a yes and no, depending on what you mean by it. Not sure I can explain this very well but from what I was taught; your fingers have to tightly grip the ball to get as many revs as possible when you release, BUT when you grip it tightly, make sure the ball isn't sitting too deeply in your palm because that + a tight grip is the perfect formula for a short rubbish delivery with no flight.

    Don't take my word for it though, I'm not even an offie. Try it out on your own first, and stick with whats working for you.

  6. #6
    State Captain slowfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcs.
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Agree with most of this, although I personally would re-arrange your order of accuracy, flight, and revolutions. I'd focus all my attention on getting a good rip on the ball, the accuracy and flight can be developed, but firstly just try and get as many revs on the ball as you can, imo.
    Exactly what my coach said. And works wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

    Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

    Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

  7. #7
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    london
    Posts
    22
    Thanks guys. I don't have big hands- should i primarily use the 1st finger to impart spin ?

  8. #8
    State Captain slowfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcs.
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by ringo1968 View Post
    Thanks guys. I don't have big hands- should i primarily use the 1st finger to impart spin ?
    Use all three ideally. Middle to generate, index to direct and thumb (optional) to add more spin... But i to need help... I just can't get the batsmen to play at my balls and when I do they just tap it back... Im fine with that but I can never get wickets... any help?

  9. #9
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,060
    give it more air and they will attack you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

  10. #10
    State Captain slowfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcs.
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    give it more air and they will attack you.
    Thanks dude... Got disttrict trials today and need to impress... Thanks...

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,513
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    Use all three ideally. Middle to generate, index to direct and thumb (optional) to add more spin... But i to need help... I just can't get the batsmen to play at my balls and when I do they just tap it back... Im fine with that but I can never get wickets... any help?
    Imo, I think the thumb will only take spin off the ball, if you can experiment spinning the ball without the thumb touching the ball you may find you can put more revolutions on the ball if you are using the orthodox grip.

  12. #12
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    london
    Posts
    22
    Looking on youtube and watching some of Graeme Swann's wickets where he has bowled guys through the gate, i am amazed at the revs he gets on the ball and the pace he sends the ball down. Is that difficult to achieve ? Most spin bowlers at my sunday level just float the ball down slowly. Do you need a strong action and a decent follow through ?

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,513
    Quote Originally Posted by ringo1968 View Post
    Looking on youtube and watching some of Graeme Swann's wickets where he has bowled guys through the gate, i am amazed at the revs he gets on the ball and the pace he sends the ball down. Is that difficult to achieve ? Most spin bowlers at my sunday level just float the ball down slowly. Do you need a strong action and a decent follow through ?
    Absolutely it's difficult to get the revs on the ball Swann does, but obviously not impossible. He puts a lot of energy into his action, and gives it one heck of a rip. The pivot over the front foot is important as is the follow through to complete the action and get as much into the delivery as possible.

    It's not just about the spin Swann gets, but also the drift and dip he manages to get. He is the best spinner in the world currently, so it would be exceptionally difficult to replicate what he does, but he's a great bowler to learn off.

    Swann also has a slightly different grip for his orthodox off-spinner than most offies, presumably this helps him get more on the ball.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

  14. #14
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    london
    Posts
    22
    Yes, Swanny has big hands and he spins the ball from the inside of a knuckle and a finger. I have small hands but in practice i spread the 1st two fingers as far apart as possible and after an hour they hurt. I must be doing something right! Biggest problem is trying to keep my head still and focused on the target while bowling.

  15. #15
    Cricket Spectator srkven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    38
    Yeah, go for it. You should be letting your fingers ripping the ball and try and get some drift and flight. Master these first on Youtube then go into your professional coaching clinics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. T&T Super Cup (Season XII-XIII)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 320
    Last Post: 17-11-2007, 06:26 AM
  2. Trinidad and Tobago Super Cup (XI-XII)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 447
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 01:23 AM
  3. American League (XI-XII)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 558
    Last Post: 25-02-2007, 04:22 AM
  4. Academy Rookie averages season 6
    By The Argonaut in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23-08-2005, 06:30 PM
  5. Academy rookie stats
    By The Argonaut in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •