• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Weight Training?

SpeedStar

Cricket Spectator
Hi

I'm 14 and have been playing at a representative level now for about 3 years, I'm an opening bowler, I'm confirmed as one of the fastest bowlers at my age group in the country, I've been lifting weights for about 4 weeks, it's improved my speed ALOT, anyone do weight training?

Benaud

Banned
Hard to believe that 4 weeks of weight training has considerably improved your speed. But it does help to have a solid chest as a fast bowler.

+ Jakester no one cares what you did. Respond to the question.

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah I weight train 4x a week (now it's the off season). Strength, speed, power. What's not to love?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think that weight training at 14 is particularly beneficial to a quick bowler (especially over a 4 week period). However that is not to say that it is not without merit.

I believe the benefit of weight training at that age is the formation of good habits that will continue as your career progresses.

I would also add that as a player gets older the aim of weight training should not primarily be to add pace but for injury prevention.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Hard to believe that 4 weeks of weight training has considerably improved your speed. But it does help to have a solid chest as a fast bowler.

+ Jakester no one cares what you did. Respond to the question.
I did dip****. He said, does anyone here do weight training. I stated I just got back from a weights session myself, obviously assuming hes not so dumb to realise I dont need to answer with yes or no.

Now go play in traffic.

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I believe the benefit of weight training at that age is the formation of good habits that will continue as your career progresses.

I would also add that as a player gets older the aim of weight training should not primarily be to add pace but for injury prevention.
Wise words indeed Goughy. The first rule is: do no harm.

Benaud

Banned
I did dip****. He said, does anyone here do weight training. I stated I just got back from a weights session myself, obviously assuming hes not so dumb to realise I dont need to answer with yes or no.

Now go play in traffic.
Oh burnnnt.

There's no doubt your weight training consists of lifting stuff

Last edited by a moderator: