• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wrist Spin Bowling

someblokedave

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hello, this is my first post on here. Are there many of you out there that are interested in Wrist Spin bowling? Are there any self proclaimed experts?

Edge Of Willow

Cricket Spectator
Hello Dave.

I'm interested on wrist-spin and I know a bit; but I wouldn't call myself an expert.

But you already know all this.:laugh:

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know if there's any real experts around, but if you have a question don't hesitate to ask it. We'll do our best.

someblokedave

Hello Dave.

I'm interested on wrist-spin and I know a bit; but I wouldn't call myself an expert.

But you already know all this.:laugh:
EOW you're on here as well, what's like on here? Actually I've just noticed that you've only posted once and it's on here - is that right - how the hell did that happen or did this come up on a wrist spin search on Google?

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's only made 1 post and been a member for 2 days :L..
Not sure he'd have the greatest idea of the forum yet

someblokedave

He's only made 1 post and been a member for 2 days :L..
Not sure he'd have the greatest idea of the forum yet

Yeah I just noticed that myself. You a wrist spinner? Where in Cornwall are you - anywhere near Penzance? Anyway to business. Has anyone else suffered from the Googly Syndrome and what did you do about it and how long did it take you to correct it?

Last edited:

Jarquis

I'm in Torpoint, across the river from Plymouth.
And i'm a finger spinner myself.

someblokedave

I'm in Torpoint, across the river from Plymouth.
And i'm a finger spinner myself.
I lived in plymouth for a while - studied there. Used to go across on the Torpoint chain ferry to Mount Edgcombe or Surfing at Whitsands Bay. Nice area. Is your pitch in Torpoint - I'll have a look at it on Google Maps or similar.

Right arm or left arm Finger Spin?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah I just noticed that myself. You a wrist spinner? Where in Cornwall are you - anywhere near Penzance? Anyway to business. Has anyone else suffered from the Googly Syndrome and what did you do about it and how long did it take you to correct it?
i.e. the "I can't bowl anything except a googly anymore"?

Who hasn't? Go back to underarms, and get it ripping right to left on the floor. Then relax your wrist, palm facing the batter, as you're coming in to bowl. Stop trying to rip it so hard as you're twisting your whole arm.

someblokedave

i.e. the "I can't bowl anything except a googly anymore"?

Who hasn't? Go back to underarms, and get it ripping right to left on the floor. Then relax your wrist, palm facing the batter, as you're coming in to bowl. Stop trying to rip it so hard as you're twisting your whole arm.
Yeah completely lost my leg break. All the others are still intact, but the Leg Break I'm really struggling with. I've kind of got two versions of a Leg Break on the go at the moment. One that kind of fits what you've described, that turns okay sporadically that seems to use the 3rd finger as the only means to put the revs on the ball. This is fine when it works and varies between good and indifferent. But I'd rather have a Big Leg Break that I can call on when required that turns well. I can produce one across a short distance - currently 14 yards or so and this one includes the use of a good wrist flick as well as the ball coming off the fingers. I'm thinking - if I can work on this for a week or so and get it consistent at 14 yards I'll move up to 16 yards and so on. What do you reckon?

The description of the underarm strategy, you're talking about bouncing it off a wall a la Peter Philpott?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Not even that - I'm talking about getting it right down to isolating the revs that give it spin - toss it up in the air, land it on the ground in front of you and get it spinning as a leg break.

someblokedave

Not even that - I'm talking about getting it right down to isolating the revs that give it spin - toss it up in the air, land it on the ground in front of you and get it spinning as a leg break.
Yeah I'm doing all that - apples, oranges, cubes, hockey balls, cricket balls, if it fits in my hand I'm spinning it (Drives the wife mental). Doing that I can get the ball to turn at right angles or back to me, wherever I want. It's moving forwards and bringing the arm over with any conviction where it all gets lost.

Edge Of Willow

Cricket Spectator
EOW you're on here as well, what's like on here? Actually I've just noticed that you've only posted once and it's on here - is that right - how the hell did that happen or did this come up on a wrist spin search on Google?
Almost, it was a search for Cricket forums on Google.

I think working up to greater distances is great idea; it was what I did to get up to bowling the full 22 yards. It has seemed to work pretty well; although I still drop a couple of yards short far too often.

Practice is really the key. The wrist flick can get a bit lost i when you bring your arm over if you're not used to it. I sometimes miss the wrist flick when I bowl the full 22 yards; I think because I am somewhat unfamiliar with the effort and speed with which the arm must come over with. I can only imagine how much trickier it must be if you are unfamiliar with the wrist flick itself.

someblokedave

I think this is going to be a case of the long haul unless of course I come across some other aspect that is staring me in the face which is so obvious that I just keep missing it? Till then it's 14 yards this week and next till it's working most of the time and then I'll go longer. As you say doing it across a short distance seems to be fine it's just the extra effort needed to get it down there, the flick seems to get muddled up in the action and then it just goes straight - more akin to a Top Spinner.

Jarquis

I lived in plymouth for a while - studied there. Used to go across on the Torpoint chain ferry to Mount Edgcombe or Surfing at Whitsands Bay. Nice area. Is your pitch in Torpoint - I'll have a look at it on Google Maps or similar.

Right arm or left arm Finger Spin?
Right Arm Off Spin
And Yeah our pitch is in Torpoint...
Torpoint, UK - Google Maps
Our pitch is the field you can see center of screen-ish... Really quite poor, then again we are only Division 4 :L

Last edited:

someblokedave

Is it the field nearest the Oil tanks that has rugby posts in the winter? There's a much better view of it on windows live maps - it uses a function called birdseye and allows you to see the pitch from N,S, E and West and different times of the year. Looks okay better than the place I play at - check this out... Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

someblokedave

Yeah the round building. But look at the flats opposite, the people that live there walk across our pitch when we're playing 14 year old girls with their babies. There's some blokes that ride round the outfield on trials bikes chased by Rottweillers and Pitbulls, it's a bit like Devonport but with a cricket pitch!

someblokedave

Anyway we're going off Topic here. Anyone bowl Flippers and understand the 'Round the Loop' concept as advocated by Peter Philpott?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway we're going off Topic here. Anyone bowl Flippers and understand the 'Round the Loop' concept as advocated by Peter Philpott?
I was a leggie few years back, (yeah, at 32, still I can rip it a yard), but I have not heard of what you are referring. possibly I would have known it by content not by name.

Flipper, I think is a good weapon against poor layers of spin. Down here in SL, leggies don't bowl flippers much, because flippers are taken to the cleaners by the batsmen, because they play back, across and with straight bat.

Flipper, esentially means a ball that is quick through the air, skids off the wicket and does not turn.

One method is to advocate what Shane Warne uses. Force the ball forwards with the thumb and the index finger. It is very hard to pick, but very hard to bowl as well. The second method is what Afridi uses. Start as a leg break and at last moment without turning the wrist, ball is delivered as a seamer in front of the hand. It will swing in, will be much quicker than the former, and much deadlier too. But it's more noticable from hand as well as through air as it hurries on to batsmen. I used what Afridi subsequently used. My leggies were around 45-55 mph, but that quicker ball / flipper was nearly medium pace (65-70mph), and it was odd to see a leggie like me getting batsmen with inswinging yorkers.