• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do i know what my run up should be like?

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I know that a run up is very important for your bowling, but i have no set one. I often just do a very small one(because im medium pace) from where the pitch ends and goes into the normal grass.

How do i find out what is best for me, run up wise?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
No expert on these things.

However, what I'd be doing is as soon as you work it out and find one that is good for you; take a tape measure out and record exactly how many metres in. Then keep that tape measure on you, and make the marks before a game (probably with some sort of spray paint).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I know that a run up is very important for your bowling, but i have no set one. I often just do a very small one(because im medium pace) from where the pitch ends and goes into the normal grass.

How do i find out what is best for me, run up wise?
If you are happy with that short run then keep it. There is nothing wrong with that. One of the best medium pacers I ever played with came in off 5 steps.

Your run up is to build momentum and allow you to be balanced in delivery and transfer that momentum through the crease.

You need to be at your ideal pace going into your action. Some people want to hit that pace and maintain it from 15 paces out some from 3 paces out.

It is about being balanced, hitting ideal running speed and maintaining it.

It needs to feels smooth and not rushed and everyone is different.

You need to work out how far you need to run to get your ideal speed and how long you need to maintain that speed in order to feel balanced and not rushed going into your delivery stride. One you have worked that out then there is no need to run any further. Whether it is 5 steps or 21 then it is fine.

thierry henry

International Coach
I always had a fairly short run-up, but now that I've been playing indoor cricket for years I don't think I'd want to run in for more than about 6 paces at all.

I actually feel that my run-up is better now, when I was younger and operating as a steady medium-pacer, my run-up was pretty gentle. I had good rhythm but wasn't really exerting myself. At indoor cricket I'm usually one of the fastest bowlers (of course at higher levels I'd probably be gentle medium pace) and I guess that sort of spurs me on to bowl at my max pace.

I'm not much of an athlete, so any excess running up would be a waste of time....I like the feeling of getting in to my action as soon as I hit the right speed.

I guess the most important thing is you're comfortable, but whatever you do don't just have a long and meandering run to the wicket for no reason, I've seen a lot of bowlers like that and it looks terrible.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, the worst run up I saw on a young guy was way too long and he was slowing down by the time he got to the crease...so don't do that! My run up's about 14 paces + 5 where I just walk up to the mark. It's good for me and lets me keep a rythym. Any longer and I feel like I'm just running for no reason.

What ever feels comfortable and allows you to maintain power through the crease is good.