• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yorker

Jakester1288

International Regular
Does anyone have any tips on bowling the yorker? I try to bowl it by looking at the batsmen feet, but always get it just wrong, like a low full toss or half voley, which batsmen can just drive. My goal to achieve by the end of the year is to be able to bowl six good length balls in a row, followed by six yorkers, and then bowl another good length.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My goal to achieve by the end of the year is to be able to bowl six good length balls in a row, followed by six yorkers, and then bowl another good length.
Good luck on your call up to the national team then. :)

Seriously, what you are wanting to do isn't realistic.

There is such a small margin for error with a yorker that even the best struggle to bowl it consistently. Also, as you say, when you dont get it right then it is an easy ball to hit (full toss or half volley).

Work on it but dont set your sights too high

Jakester1288

International Regular
Good luck on your call up to the national team then. :)

Seriously, what you are wanting to do isn't realistic.

There is such a small margin for error with a yorker that even the best struggle to bowl it consistently. Also, as you say, when you dont get it right then it is an easy ball to hit (full toss or half volley).

Work on it but dont set your sights too high
Well I am taking it slow. At the moment I am practicing my yorkers and good length deliveries before I make an attempt to get it right. I will spend the rest of this school term working on it, and by next term I should be getting a hell of a lot better, and more accurate with more of a chance of achieving my goal.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The key is that a good yorker is not simply a full half volley or a short full toss, but a whole other delivery. The yorker which Waqar and Gough made famous is very different to the one used at the death of ODIs. The latter can be attained by practice, but the former, which is the more potent wicket taking threat can only be achieved by driving your upper body through the delivery so that you fire the ball into the blockhole, rather than 'put' it there.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Yorkers

Seeing as Manee is the only person so far to give you an answer, I'll elaborate on what he started. In Ian Pont's Fast Bowler's Bible, there is a section on yorkers. It doesn't help that much, but it's the most in depth guide i've read.
He say's that the first aspect is mental. You've got to picture it in your head and believe that you can do it.
The second is your bowling shoulder, you have to "throw" it at the blockhole to improve your accuracy.
This also has something to do with your accuracy of your good length balls.
Hope I've helped

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes. It talks about 'chest drive' something which can be attained by pulling your non bowling arm through the action to drive your chest forward - but I wouldn't worry about something so complex just yet.

Spinksy

Banned
Haha, yeah. I go to his school so we a working hard at it together, we seem to be the only two serious people about cricket when bowling in the nets. Last year at club level one of my mates named Zac Symons worked hard to acheive this and end up getting five yorkers in and one good length delivery, so I say that If I work just as hard as he did then I can do it. All we are asking for is so good pointers to set us in the right direction if anything.