Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Bowling faster!

  1. #1
    International Regular
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,536

    Bowling faster!

    Ok, I am a good bowler who can bowl fast, actually I'm probably the fastest bowler in year 7 at my school. Although I feel I can bowl faster, and I need help. I have access to the nets every day at school, and now it is the off season so I can't train properly with my real team mates.

    I have made my school team last year and the year before, batting number 4 and opening the bowling and I made rep last year as second change bowler. I have played club cricket for 3 years. I see my self as a young talent and I want to keep my accuracy but bowl faster. Help.



    Oh and I bowl faster when I use a Brett Lee action but I can get no accuracy whatsoever, so I will not use it.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Ok, I am a good bowler who can bowl fast, actually I'm probably the fastest bowler in year 7 at my school. Although I feel I can bowl faster, and I need help. I have access to the nets every day at school, and now it is the off season so I can't train properly with my real team mates.

    I have made my school team last year and the year before, batting number 4 and opening the bowling and I made rep last year as second change bowler. I have played club cricket for 3 years. I see my self as a young talent and I want to keep my accuracy but bowl faster. Help.



    Oh and I bowl faster when I use a Brett Lee action but I can get no accuracy whatsoever, so I will not use it.
    If you're 13 mate I'd concentrate more on bowling well. If you have a decent action you'll get faster as you get older and stronger. Unless you're solid and tall for your age all trying to bowl faster will do to you is probably end up causing an injury. There aren't many people your age who are tearaway quicks unless they're already about 6 foot and 80 kgs.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  3. #3
    International Regular
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    If you're 13 mate I'd concentrate more on bowling well. If you have a decent action you'll get faster as you get older and stronger. Unless you're solid and tall for your age all trying to bowl faster will do to you is probably end up causing an injury. There aren't many people your age who are tearaway quicks unless they're already about 6 foot and 80 kgs.
    I am about 162 odd cms and 56 odd kgs. I am a bit overweight, if I lose some weight will it help my bowling?

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    18,574
    Can't but not help.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi


  5. #5
    International Regular
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,536
    Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    Can't but not help.
    I don't understand.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    yea, well when I was in year 7 I opened the bowling for my 2 rep teams, and I wasnt overly quick.

    All you need is accuracy, and if you can swing the ball it will help. I didnt really even try to bowl fast, I just put it on the spot and I got the most wickets for my team at the state carnival.

    What they look for in bowlers at that age is accuracy, pace is a bonus. You will get faster as you get older, but I would definately recommend working on your fitness, if you are playing a serious tournament, you want to be at your best.

  7. #7
    International Regular
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,536
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    yea, well when I was in year 7 I opened the bowling for my 2 rep teams, and I wasnt overly quick.

    All you need is accuracy, and if you can swing the ball it will help. I didnt really even try to bowl fast, I just put it on the spot and I got the most wickets for my team at the state carnival.

    What they look for in bowlers at that age is accuracy, pace is a bonus. You will get faster as you get older, but I would definately recommend working on your fitness, if you are playing a serious tournament, you want to be at your best.
    Thanks for the advice. I can bowl outswing because of my action but I can't bowl inswing. I've tried everything, including talking with my coach, and nothing seems to help.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I can bowl outswing because of my action but I can't bowl inswing. I've tried everything, including talking with my coach, and nothing seems to help.
    Yeah just go for accuracy and bowl what you bowl best. You'll pick up other tricks as you go along. When you get stronger and older then you'll be faster and still accurate. If you are a little overweight then maybe that affects rhythm, but you're only 13. Only you'll know if you're fit or not. Don't go crazy with weights or anything though would be my tip. Just bowl well for a few years first at your age you don't need to do anything drastic. If you hurt yourself now (especially your back) then you'll never be quick.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    it doesnt affect rhythm, you're just not as supple as you would be if you were thinner. So if you lose weight, you would gain pace and be able to bowl for longer spells.

  10. #10
    International Regular
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,536
    Sweet, I could bowl faster if I lose weight? Will give it a crack.

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,181
    If you are quick at 13 then you should continue to concentrate on bowling quick and continue to take all the rough edges off and hone your action over then next few years.

    However, you have to be honest with yourself. To concentrate on bowling fast and building around pace ahead of accuracy then you really need to be fast.

    If you can bowl very fast then keep that and build on that (as your age accuracy can be easily built on with repetition and experience, whereas pace can easily be lost through making changes)

    However, if you are not top bracket pace then building on the fundamentals of action and accuracy is more important and a little pace (not too much) can be added with strength and muscle memory and development.

    There is maybe only one thing worse than a medium pacer trying to charge in and bowling inaccurate and that is a talented young fast bowler turned into a medium pacer.

    The key is to be honest with yourself, surround yourself with good coaches that you will listen to and to experiemt and try different things when messing around on your own or with friends.
    Last edited by Goughy; 06-06-2008 at 02:44 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  12. #12
    International Regular
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    If you are quick at 13 then you should continue to concentrate on bowling quick and continue to take all the rough edges off and hone your action over then next few years.

    However, you have to be honest with yourself. To concentrate on bowling fast and building around pace ahead of accuracy then you really need to be fast.

    If you can bowl very fast then keep that and build on that (as your age accuracy can be easily built on with repetition and experience, whereas pace can easily be lost through making changes)

    However, if you are not top bracket pace then building on the fundamentals of action and accuracy is more important and a little pace (not too much) can be added with strength and muscle memory and development.

    There is maybe only one thing worse than a medium pacer trying to charge in and bowling inaccurate and that is a talented young fast bowler turned into a medium pacer.

    The key is to be honest with yourself, surround yourself with good coaches that you will listen to and to experiemt and try different things when messing around on your own or with friends.
    I'm no Brett Lee, but my friends can be scared of facing me at times, especially when I bowl body line.

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    I'm no Brett Lee, but my friends can be scared of facing me at times, especially when I bowl body line.
    Talk to coaches. They will let you know if they think you are quick and have the potential to be quick in the future.

    If you dont have a coach then just try and bowl fast and do what feels natural to you. Dont make technical changes (especially slowing down) without making sure you get good advice from a coach first.

  14. #14
    International Regular
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Talk to coaches. They will let you know if they think you are quick and have the potential to be quick in the future.

    If you dont have a coach then just try and bowl fast and do what feels natural to you. Dont make technical changes (especially slowing down) without making sure you get good advice from a coach first.
    I don't have access to my coach over winter. Although I do have is number, I could text him.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    it doesnt affect rhythm, you're just not as supple as you would be if you were thinner. So if you lose weight, you would gain pace and be able to bowl for longer spells.
    I'd go as far as to say if I was 120kgs my rhythm would be pretty poor. You can be 70kgs and stiff as a board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. faster miler at cricketweb
    By nibbs in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 04:15 PM
  2. Lee: I'm faster and smarter
    By James in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-08-2006, 01:13 AM
  3. Using the freezer to help jelly set faster
    By nibbs in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 18-02-2006, 10:48 PM
  4. Bowling!..
    By lord_of_darkness in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 15-09-2005, 05:44 AM
  5. bowling
    By nibbs in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •