Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowling faster!

The weight thing is interesting.

Ive always found that at the lower range of my weight I bowl slower and get injured more often.

At the mid-mid/high range I get through the crease with greater momentum and feel far stronger and balanced and bowl quicker.

I always thought that this was strange until I read Flintoff say exactly the same thing. He said he has to balance not being a fat guy with loosing too much weight and feeling weak.

We are not talking being skinny here, but natually big guys like myself and Flintoff need to carry a little extra weight than some others would believe in order to get through the crease and bowl fast.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    The weight thing is interesting.

Ive always found that at the lower range of my weight I bowl slower and get injured more often.

At the mid-mid/high range I get through the crease with greater momentum and feel far stronger and balanced and bowl quicker.

I always thought that this was strange until I read Flintoff say exactly the same thing. He said he has to balance not being a fat guy with loosing too much weight and feeling weak.

We are not talking being skinny here, but natually big guys like myself and Flintoff need to carry a little extra weight than some others would believe in order to get through the crease and bowl fast.
    Yeah, my normal weight's about 73-75 kgs so I've never been big. I'd expect being outside your normal weight range in either direction by a fair amount would cause problems, but I don't really know. A guy that played in our team bowled outswing with decent pace and picked up about 40 wickets one season and then got stuck into the gym for a couple of years and was all over the shop. Horribly inconsistent and moved like he was on stilts. He didn't get stuck into the stretching along with gym work.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Regular
    I have my own weight bench and weights with barbell, what exercises should I do to improve my bowling and batting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    I have my own weight bench and weights with barbell, what exercises should I do to improve my bowling and batting?
    Bowl and bat a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Bowl and bat a lot
    Nothing wrong with that advice.

As a young player, repetition of your action and trying different things is more important than hitting the gym.

Banned
    Another point about the weight.

Flintoff is a bit heavier set than someone like Lee, but hes not really "overweight" its just his build.

If someone is overweight, it will definately be detrimental to their bowling.

If you're unfit, you get fatigued faster. When you're fatigued you lose pace and you lose technique.

When you lose technique, you lose accuracy. So when you're tired, you're slower and less accurate.

So to get technique back, you have to concentrate on keeping your action compact and consistent, then you are not as focuses on where to pitch the ball.

Hell when I am fatigued, I know my action is not 100% because I can feel it. Either the load up isnt where it always is, or my front arm doesnt get high enough. So when that happens, I have to focus on keeping my action compact, and not as focused on where to pitch the ball.

Flintoff is not overweight at all, he just has a more solid build. But depending on how much you weigh, if you lose 10-15 kilos you will definately improve on the cricket field, and you will feel better about yourself. Hell, I put on a bit of weight a few years ago, and I tell you, it is a ***** to bowl fast in the hot Australian sun when you're not at peak fitness. Im currently trying to work it off, and already my fitness has improved and have gained pace.

I'm no Brett Lee, but my friends can be scared of facing me at times, especially when I bowl body line.
    The sort of pace at which you should concentrate on bowling fast is the sort of pace in which you find that full fledged batsman of your age are scared of your bowling or are very late on the ball.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

International Regular
    Sorry I forgot to add that I take a semi-hard ball to school and we bat with out pads and stuff. I feel like I have good aggression and can bowl into the ribs or helmet area. I have hit two batsmen in the head so far, and when I use a six-stitch at school (which we aren't supposed to do) many batsmen turn around. Once a hit a kid who I just bowled at the top of middle stump, he turned around to protect himself, and I hit him in the thigh. I also hit a kid in the knee and he cried.

I have hit two seniors but they act like it doesn't hurt, or it doesn't hurt to them. Sometimes I swing it back from leg to off (outswing) and hit people in the legs.

Thanks for your help,

Jake.

Banned
    if this is school level, any rep player should be doing that. School -> Rep is an unbelievable jump.

This might give you an idea -

I batted 3 for my school team, 11 for my city, and 11 for my region.

I also think Im one of the only people in history to ever go from number 11 to opening the batting in about 5 minutes...but I wont get into that.

And also, the batsman in your rep team will not be scared of you, theyre never scared of any bowling. My opening partner could smoke them down, fastest bowler in the tournament, and the opposition batsmen never flinched.

Ill tell you now, that if you are fast but have no accuracy, you will not get in any rep teams unless the bowling in your area is dire, because the coaches of those teams prefer accuracy over pace, pace is a bonus.
    Last edited by bond21; 07-06-2008 at 12:43 AM.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    if this is school level, any rep player should be doing that. School -> Rep is an unbelievable jump.

I also think Im one of the only people in history to ever go from number 11 to opening the batting in about 5 minutes...but I wont get into that.

And also, the batsman in your rep team will not be scared of you, theyre never scared of any bowling. My opening partner could smoke them down, fastest bowler in the tournament, and the opposition batsmen never flinched.

Ill tell you now, that if you are fast but have no accuracy, you will not get in any rep teams unless the bowling in your area is dire, because the coaches of those teams prefer accuracy over pace, pace is a bonus.
    I went from batting 4 for my school to 9 in rep. I opened the bowling for my school team and bowler fourth for my rep team. Rep is unbelievably harder.

Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post

We had a guy who frightened a few players I think I mentioned him before though, he was pretty exceptional pace for his age (under 14's at the time), ran in off 20 steps, and was bigger than your average 14 year old. Fending them to point and getting caught or seeing stumps everywhere was a regular mode of dismissal.

International Regular
    I run in of 22 steps.

I run in of 22 steps.
    Are you actually using 22 steps to gain momentum to the crease? This guy made the Aus Under 19's at one stage I think. He was pretty sharp. I've seen a few young guys coming up through my comp that run in way too far for the pace they're generating. They get half way in and then try to hold the pace they're running all the way to the wicket when in my opinion they could cut their run up in half and still hit the crease at the same pace.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Are you actually using 22 steps to gain momentum to the crease? This guy made the Aus Under 19's at one stage I think. He was pretty sharp. I've seen a few young guys coming up through my comp that run in way too far for the pace they're generating. They get half way in and then try to hold the pace they're running all the way to the wicket when in my opinion they could cut their run up in half and still hit the crease at the same pace.
    Yes.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Don't slow down, but make sure when you bowl quick its accurate, because to decent batsmen innacurate pace is the best thing in the world as it comes off the bat a lot faster.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information