• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling faster!

bond21

Banned
Another point about the weight.

Flintoff is a bit heavier set than someone like Lee, but hes not really "overweight" its just his build.

If someone is overweight, it will definately be detrimental to their bowling.

If you're unfit, you get fatigued faster. When you're fatigued you lose pace and you lose technique.

When you lose technique, you lose accuracy. So when you're tired, you're slower and less accurate.

So to get technique back, you have to concentrate on keeping your action compact and consistent, then you are not as focuses on where to pitch the ball.

Hell when I am fatigued, I know my action is not 100% because I can feel it. Either the load up isnt where it always is, or my front arm doesnt get high enough. So when that happens, I have to focus on keeping my action compact, and not as focused on where to pitch the ball.

Flintoff is not overweight at all, he just has a more solid build. But depending on how much you weigh, if you lose 10-15 kilos you will definately improve on the cricket field, and you will feel better about yourself. Hell, I put on a bit of weight a few years ago, and I tell you, it is a ***** to bowl fast in the hot Australian sun when you're not at peak fitness. Im currently trying to work it off, and already my fitness has improved and have gained pace.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm no Brett Lee, but my friends can be scared of facing me at times, especially when I bowl body line.
The sort of pace at which you should concentrate on bowling fast is the sort of pace in which you find that full fledged batsman of your age are scared of your bowling or are very late on the ball.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Sorry I forgot to add that I take a semi-hard ball to school and we bat with out pads and stuff. I feel like I have good aggression and can bowl into the ribs or helmet area. I have hit two batsmen in the head so far, and when I use a six-stitch at school (which we aren't supposed to do) many batsmen turn around. Once a hit a kid who I just bowled at the top of middle stump, he turned around to protect himself, and I hit him in the thigh. I also hit a kid in the knee and he cried.

I have hit two seniors but they act like it doesn't hurt, or it doesn't hurt to them. Sometimes I swing it back from leg to off (outswing) and hit people in the legs.

Thanks for your help,

Jake.

bond21

Banned
if this is school level, any rep player should be doing that. School -> Rep is an unbelievable jump.

This might give you an idea -

I batted 3 for my school team, 11 for my city, and 11 for my region.

I also think Im one of the only people in history to ever go from number 11 to opening the batting in about 5 minutes...but I wont get into that.

And also, the batsman in your rep team will not be scared of you, theyre never scared of any bowling. My opening partner could smoke them down, fastest bowler in the tournament, and the opposition batsmen never flinched.

Ill tell you now, that if you are fast but have no accuracy, you will not get in any rep teams unless the bowling in your area is dire, because the coaches of those teams prefer accuracy over pace, pace is a bonus.

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
if this is school level, any rep player should be doing that. School -> Rep is an unbelievable jump.

I also think Im one of the only people in history to ever go from number 11 to opening the batting in about 5 minutes...but I wont get into that.

And also, the batsman in your rep team will not be scared of you, theyre never scared of any bowling. My opening partner could smoke them down, fastest bowler in the tournament, and the opposition batsmen never flinched.

Ill tell you now, that if you are fast but have no accuracy, you will not get in any rep teams unless the bowling in your area is dire, because the coaches of those teams prefer accuracy over pace, pace is a bonus.
I went from batting 4 for my school to 9 in rep. I opened the bowling for my school team and bowler fourth for my rep team. Rep is unbelievably harder.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

We had a guy who frightened a few players :laugh: I think I mentioned him before though, he was pretty exceptional pace for his age (under 14's at the time), ran in off 20 steps, and was bigger than your average 14 year old. Fending them to point and getting caught or seeing stumps everywhere was a regular mode of dismissal.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I run in of 22 steps.
Are you actually using 22 steps to gain momentum to the crease? This guy made the Aus Under 19's at one stage I think. He was pretty sharp. I've seen a few young guys coming up through my comp that run in way too far for the pace they're generating. They get half way in and then try to hold the pace they're running all the way to the wicket when in my opinion they could cut their run up in half and still hit the crease at the same pace.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Are you actually using 22 steps to gain momentum to the crease? This guy made the Aus Under 19's at one stage I think. He was pretty sharp. I've seen a few young guys coming up through my comp that run in way too far for the pace they're generating. They get half way in and then try to hold the pace they're running all the way to the wicket when in my opinion they could cut their run up in half and still hit the crease at the same pace.
Yes.

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
Don't slow down, but make sure when you bowl quick its accurate, because to decent batsmen innacurate pace is the best thing in the world as it comes off the bat a lot faster.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Good luck to you then!

The easiest way to see what your action is like is to post a video like some of the other guys have done on other threads. It's difficult to go off what a person says they are doing.
I can't though. I have no ideas of where to film me boling. I have no where tbh.

Lord_fez

Cricket Spectator
Hey Jake,

Having coached quite a few bowlers and had loads of coaching myself I just thought I'd have my two cents worth.

I disagree that you should be curently focusing on pace solely, at the age you are having the abilty to tuck senior (or rep) batsmen up is good going. Technique is the paramount issue you need to focus on, if you can build a fluid smooth action and automate it, that is the time to focus on pace.

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to lose your action from concentrating only on pace. If you can perfect your technique and develop your action you have a potential to develop into a pretty devastating quick.

No matter how quick you bowl, if you can't consistantly hit that off peg you are going to get slapped about when you play a higher standard.

You said you can't get yourself filmed, does your school have any AV facilities you can loan out? Never underestimate to benefit of videoing yourself (either bowling or batting), even if you just have a look at the footage yourself.

Best of luck, wish you many a wicket (or bruised rib!)

LF

(p.s Hi all, long time reader, new poster. Anyone from yorkshire?)

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
speed means nowt at your age its getting you line an length right.
im 14 now and i bowl about 60 when i was your age i concentrated on line and length and waited to get stronger.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Hey Jake,

Having coached quite a few bowlers and had loads of coaching myself I just thought I'd have my two cents worth.

I disagree that you should be curently focusing on pace solely, at the age you are having the abilty to tuck senior (or rep) batsmen up is good going. Technique is the paramount issue you need to focus on, if you can build a fluid smooth action and automate it, that is the time to focus on pace.

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to lose your action from concentrating only on pace. If you can perfect your technique and develop your action you have a potential to develop into a pretty devastating quick.

No matter how quick you bowl, if you can't consistantly hit that off peg you are going to get slapped about when you play a higher standard.

You said you can't get yourself filmed, does your school have any AV facilities you can loan out? Never underestimate to benefit of videoing yourself (either bowling or batting), even if you just have a look at the footage yourself.

Best of luck, wish you many a wicket (or bruised rib!)

LF

(p.s Hi all, long time reader, new poster. Anyone from yorkshire?)
Thanks LF. I have no idea about anything to do with AV. The batsmen that I scareare so far from fully fledged, and I scare the sh*t out of them when they have no padding.

Lord_fez

Cricket Spectator
Serves them right for not wearing pads! :laugh:

When I was at school we had some dark dingy room where students could rent out video cameras and the like, mostly as long as it stays in school but we could get permission to take it home for the night. Not sure if it will be the same for you as I'm in the UK, but worth a go.

I meant to say in my last post regarding having no where to do it, even just getting a mate to film you while you guys are playing at lunch. It's all about just seeing your own action and getting an idea of what you look like.

You'll be suprised at how you look when you bowl (not necessarily in a bad way).

LF

Jakester1288

International Regular
Serves them right for not wearing pads! :laugh:

When I was at school we had some dark dingy room where students could rent out video cameras and the like, mostly as long as it stays in school but we could get permission to take it home for the night. Not sure if it will be the same for you as I'm in the UK, but worth a go.

I meant to say in my last post regarding having no where to do it, even just getting a mate to film you while you guys are playing at lunch. It's all about just seeing your own action and getting an idea of what you look like.

You'll be suprised at how you look when you bowl (not necessarily in a bad way).

LF
That's a good idea. I will look into how I can get hold of a camera and video myself bowling. Then I would need to get it on to YouTube wouldn't I?

Lord_fez

Cricket Spectator
Yeah stick it on youtube, get the opinions of the people. If you don't fancy broadcasting to the world feel free to PM me.

Alternativley check this out:

http://www.earpsports.com/PubContent/Docs/Microsoft Word - occ coach video analysis bowler.pdf

This is closest thing I could find on the net that I use when coaching. I would say read the stuff below the table first to get an idea of what we look for both live and on video.

Once you have had a look at that, keep it in mind when you watch a video of yourself.

I do urge you however to not spend too long on this sheet as this is more detailed analysis than you need at your age, it's really to give you an idea of what to think about.

As it says on the document:
"bad advice or guess work is a waste of time." - Dont forget that neither I, or anyone on here know how you play or your action. There is no substitute for having a coach there with you to explain every point.

LF

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Great to see you sign up Fez. :) There's quite a few blokes from Yorkshire, but we don't like to talk about them...