Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Batting Problem

  1. #1
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988

    Batting Problem

    I would say that I'm pretty strong all round the wicket, except for one place: I can't play good length or half-volleys that are angled into my pads. It's not about getting out, just not scoring off them. I just end up sticking my front out and playing round it, and just missing the ball. Have you got any tips on how to make this a place were I can score runs?
    Last edited by PhoenixFire; 27-05-2008 at 04:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  2. #2
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just under your skin
    Posts
    5,829
    Don't go for the full forward press. Get about 3/4 forwards and play the ball late, and square. If the ball is moving off the seam / spinning sharply and bouncing, better leave them alone, or upper cut if you have enough width.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,771
    Maybe try to work the ball straighter. If the ball is angled into your pads, the angle of it may well take it towards or behind square leg anyway. Should also say it's really important not to fall across towards off. Head must remain as still as possible.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  4. #4
    Cricket Spectator Ozzie Osborne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    yorkshire
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Maybe try to work the ball straighter. If the ball is angled into your pads, the angle of it may well take it towards or behind square leg anyway. Should also say it's really important not to fall across towards off. Head must remain as still as possible.
    Agreed with Burgey, try to focus on playing straighter so your looking and ondrives and straight drives. However, you dont have to hit every ball so be patient and wait for the bad one.


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    step away from the stumps and hit it over point.

  6. #6
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Hmm, I am much stronger in that area, but it would mean that I would have to step quite away off my stumps. Might try it though.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    I don't think that's a smart call. Look at where your left toe is pointed when you try to glance to leg. I can't play that shot because I play so far around my pad because my toe points to cover - it ought to be straighter so you can get your head comfortably over it and are more open at point of contact.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  8. #8
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Yeah true, when i play it, my toe points straight down the pitch, I assume that is right?

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Yeah true, when i play it, my toe points straight down the pitch, I assume that is right?
    Yeah that would be fine, it shouldn't block you off... unless of course you're plonking it down the line of off stump.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    let me know how many times you get out by doing what i suggested.

    You have 2 options, either drive it through mid wicket-mid on or glance it down to fine leg, or just defend it.

  11. #11
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Will do. I think I'm gonna try and play it as straight as I possibly can for the time being. I never really get out to it though, it just usually thumps into my pad, which is pretty frustrating as bowlers shouldn't be able to get away with bowling on the pads.

  12. #12
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,572
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I would say that I'm pretty strong all round the wicket, except for one place: I can play good length or half-volleys that are angled into my pads.
    I assume the idiots telling you to hit it over point were just confused because they misinterpreted what your weakness is. That tends to happen when you say the opposite of what you mean
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

    CricketWeb Black!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

  13. #13
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Haha, my bad.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    I assume the idiots telling you to hit it over point were just confused because they misinterpreted what your weakness is. That tends to happen when you say the opposite of what you mean
    youve got to be joking.

  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,572
    Not in the slightest. How is it practical to hit a half-volley on leg stump over point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Batting Problem
    By DCC_legend in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 19-05-2008, 09:39 AM
  2. ICC 3 Problem
    By James in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-08-2007, 03:00 AM
  3. Problem, need help
    By Robertinho in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 02:40 AM
  4. Problem
    By Rik in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 06:40 AM
  5. Problem???
    By Rich2001 in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 30-12-2002, 06:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •