Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Trailing down leg side

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953

    Trailing down leg side

    What do you do when you start to trail down legside?

    I was bowling really well for most of my spell, then the last 2 overs i was going down legside about 8 times from 12 balls.

    I think it is tiredness, but what can you do to counter it?

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,180
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    What do you do when you start to trail down legside?

    I was bowling really well for most of my spell, then the last 2 overs i was going down legside about 8 times from 12 balls.

    I think it is tiredness, but what can you do to counter it?
    Often it is triedness. Obviously fitness work helps but most importantly is early season net work. Simply, the action gets ragged when tired.

    You need to bowl hard and to heavy levels of tiredness in the nets pre-season to work on that concentration required when the body is giving up and on keeping the action tight when it starts to come a little unravelled due to fatigue.

    Basically preparing and experiencing the the most exteme match situations when in practice so the body knows how to cope when faced with it.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    while you're here goughy, i got 2 quick questions about fast bowling.

    Our top A grade fast bowler told me to load up near the hip area, kinda like Brett Lee, Chris Martin etc. And yet a coach in my club who has done a course in coaching (i know how you feel about that) told me to load up next to the chin.

    Its kinda like a great fast bowler vs a not so great cricketer who has done coaching courses.

    Whats your opinion on the gather?

    And my left arm sort of goes from my left hand touching my right shoulder on the gather, to going out and pulling down, im not sure if this is the best way to do it. If not, how do you teach people to use their left arm? I read in another thread you should get your left arm up aggressively, im not doing that, im just pulling it down aggressively.
    Last edited by bond21; 10-02-2008 at 12:55 AM.

  4. #4
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    Whats your opinion on the gather?
    The gather is about what is comfortable to you.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,180
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    while you're here goughy, i got 2 quick questions about fast bowling.

    Our top A grade fast bowler told me to load up near the hip area, kinda like Brett Lee, Chris Martin etc. And yet a coach in my club who has done a course in coaching (i know how you feel about that) told me to load up next to the chin.

    Its kinda like a great fast bowler vs a not so great cricketer who has done coaching courses.

    Whats your opinion on the gather?

    And my left arm sort of goes from my left hand touching my right shoulder on the gather, to going out and pulling down, im not sure if this is the best way to do it. If not, how do you teach people to use their left arm? I read in another thread you should get your left arm up aggressively, im not doing that, im just pulling it down aggressively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    The gather is about what is comfortable to you.
    Yeah, its about whats comfortable.

    However, more and more people are believing that the higher the gather the more wasted movement involved in an action and more things that can go wrong.

    The number of people bringing the ball head height or above are falling.

    I personally gather at just above stomach height.

  6. #6
    Cricket Spectator MrDucksWorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    48
    is the gather where you bring the ball up to before you start your arm action?
    Your primary concern should be whether we get given justice in the next life. If so, I'd be in great trouble without Jesus.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Often it is triedness. Obviously fitness work helps but most importantly is early season net work. Simply, the action gets ragged when tired.

    You need to bowl hard and to heavy levels of tiredness in the nets pre-season to work on that concentration required when the body is giving up and on keeping the action tight when it starts to come a little unravelled due to fatigue.

    Basically preparing and experiencing the the most exteme match situations when in practice so the body knows how to cope when faced with it.
    Yup. Often a good idea to do your fitness work before training, and practice nailing the execution of your skills under fatigue.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 22-03-2005, 02:22 PM
  2. My Side
    By superkingdave in forum General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 16-02-2005, 03:52 PM
  3. my england side
    By bugssy in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-01-2005, 06:43 PM
  4. NZ 1st test side
    By Kent in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 13-12-2003, 05:37 PM
  5. Your Side.....
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •