Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playing spin bowling

School Boy/Girl Cricketer someblokedave's Avatar
    Mate at a wicket every 15 balls I'm not getting taken off and I'm not the best Wrist Spinner in my team. You can't leave the ball because it's heading for your Off-Stump, as far as you're concerned you've got to stick the bat there. As soon as you've done that you're a gonner, if you leave it, I do the same thing leg break, leg break, leg break and then a wrong un and you're gone. You've obviously never faced a half decent wrist spinner.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    if ur leg breaks are clipping off stump every time thenyou are pitching outside leg, according to my batting plan, im gunna have to sweep you, or charge down the wicket and slog it over over mid wicket.

and there are many good leg spinners in my club, it seems to be an essential skill to have...even if you are a fast bolwer,

wats your bowling average?
    Last edited by chyickenkeev; 30-10-2009 at 07:38 PM.

International Regular
    Just a tad late, but if you can, hit over the infield then when the field goes back, you can play singles to the deep fielders. I did this yesterday to a gentle offie who doesn't spin it, I luckily already had the fielders back for the spinner, so I played one big shot to long off to make sure they stay back, then knocked around a single or two before I got out at the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by chyickenkeev View Post
    if ur leg breaks are clipping off stump every time thenyou are pitching outside leg, according to my batting plan, im gunna have to sweep you, or charge down the wicket and slog it over over mid wicket.

and there are many good leg spinners in my club, it seems to be an essential skill to have...even if you are a fast bolwer,

wats your bowling average?
    Yeah not so good 12.71 last season.

12.71!? thats pretty good.
    dont dont know anyone with an average that low!
    im a left arm finger spinner, so you coulkd class me as a pretty much under average leggie, wat tactics do you use?

I have a good grasp of most of the variations including some really obscure ones, but 95% of my wickets come about through accuracy using Leg Breaks. I pitch the ball on the off-stump around about 4 yards from the stumps, I vary the speed, flight and turn off the wicket. The line and length forces the batsman into a situation whereby he needs to play it in case it either doesn't turn or I bowl a Wrong Un. If they are half decent I get a wrong un in early-ish to let them know I've got it as a variation, most of the time they then play a little more cautiously. It's the accuracy that's the key. But I spend absolutely hours and hours and hours practicing. But like everyone I have bad games - I'm not so good with Lefties.

I was reading back over chickens comments about batting against the spinners. I've just watched through some video footage of the highlights of the 1st test in Adelaide (2007-08) where Pieterson and Sherminator faced Warne doing exactly as I've suggested above. But Pieterson was causing Warne some real problems and getting on top of him. Pieterson and later Collingwood once Bell had gone were waiting to see where the ball was pitching and then off the backfoot really late were hitting the ball down and through the off-side. But then Pieterson and Collingwood are very fast and at the top of their game and the commentators were suggesting that Warne at this stage was knackered and bowling too short.

I think if I faced similar batting and they were taking me to task like that I'd have to change the way I bowl - I'd just mix it up. Thing is watching test matches Warne obviously had a plan but the plan may have been executed over a period of 7-8 overs if not more, I've read that Grimmetts bowling plans went across 10's of overs 40+ overs in some cases, which is obviously not something the likes of me will ever get to do - I'm lucky to get 8 overs in a game!

In order to stay on and get my usual 5 or 6 overs I'd have to be far more effective and if the batsman was playing me in that manner I'd have to do something different. But more likely it'd be a very rare day to face such a batsman at club level?

well, considering the back foot drive is easier to sortof change qwuickly, say if u bowled a googly i could adjust to that wihtout loosing my wicket , its a hell of alot esier than adjusting on the front foot.

Banned
    Josh, if your in all sorts whenever the average off spinner comes on to bowl, then i'm afraid its time you gave up on cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Benaud View Post
    Josh, if your in all sorts whenever the average off spinner comes on to bowl, then i'm afraid its time you gave up on cricket.
    well no, every batsman has a weakness, because every batsman is different, no playr is perfect otherwise they wouldnt go out.
    Last edited by chyickenkeev; 06-11-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benaud View Post
    Yeah that's a bit harsh, the bloke might be young, give him some time and he might find his game against the spinners? For all we know the blokes a bowler and bats right down the order - I for one can't bat for my life but I can bowl a bit and I'm a very enthusiastic fielder.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by someblokedave View Post
    Yeah that's a bit harsh, the bloke might be young, give him some time and he might find his game against the spinners? For all we know the blokes a bowler and bats right down the order - I for one can't bat for my life but I can bowl a bit and I'm a very enthusiastic fielder.
    Bowl a bit!?!? You have an amazing average, and a good outlook and understanding of spin bowling, from what I've read.

but sill, the point is, every batsman has their weaknesses

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    When I'm batting against the spinners (where I'm really comfortable), I prefer to go right back and let the ball turn. Being a leftie, I always seem to have the Leg Spinners (or Slow Left Arm Orthodox) turning it into me and that caters for my pull shot. When I go forward I tend not to wait for it as much and end up hitting it early, but when I get it right I can cover drive plenty for 4. Its just a confidence thing and working out how to read the ball.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    When I'm batting against the spinners (where I'm really comfortable), I prefer to go right back and let the ball turn. Being a leftie, I always seem to have the Leg Spinners (or Slow Left Arm Orthodox) turning it into me and that caters for my pull shot. When I go forward I tend not to wait for it as much and end up hitting it early, but when I get it right I can cover drive plenty for 4. Its just a confidence thing and working out how to read the ball.
    Yeah I think as a Leftie you have a slight advantage against R/H Leg Break bowlers. It's quite rare at all levels to come across a R/H wrist spinner that turns it both ways. As a right hander you're always working on your Stock Ball (Leg Break) and being cautious when practicing your Wrong Uns because of the fear of developing the Googly Syndrome. As a consequence I reckon 95% of the time you'll find even the better Wrist Spinners will have a dramatically weaker Wrong Un which is the ball they'd love to have working 100% against you Lefties. I always have a problem against Lefties especially if they're half decent, if it wasn't for Lefties I'd have good bowling figures!

So what ball from a Right Hand wrist spinner does cause you problems? I've just been discussing this on another forum where I made this comment....

Which brings me nicely to something I've been thinking about tonight - bowling against Lefties. I was watching some video footage of a series from last year NZ v Eng and Strauss and Cook were both batting (Lefties) facing the Medium-fast bowling of Southee. The bloke commentating mentioned that Southees attack line was perfect, he was bowling over the wicket at and around the off-stump with the threat of the ball coming in on the stumps off the seam. Looking at it - it struck me that this might be the way that I should approach my bowling at Lefties?

The only question is why is that preferable to bowling around the wicket, surely if I'm bowling diagonally across the wicket, there's a temptation to bat across the line into his Legside with less fielders and if I'm still bowling my leg breaks (Wrong Uns for him) he's then batting with the spin?

What's your thoughts - what do you reckon the RH Wrist spinner should do?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information