Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pace

still scratching around in the same old hole
    ^ I couldnt agree with you more. People that give numbers out are usually way off base.

I did so above reluctantly as the kid I saw was special and quicker than mens mediun quick and made normal 13 yr old fast bowlers look slow.

As a rule of thumb though I agree, a stated time is meaningless
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I doubt you have access to a speed gun but:

45mph - Fine
    50mph - Good pace
    55mph - Very good pace
    60mph - Excellent pace
    65mph - Quick county pace
    70mph - International pace
    Excerpt from my coaching section:

"Finally, we've got everything sorted out - so how fast do you actually bowl? Naturally, the best thing possible to use would be a radar gun - however they're not generally widely available to clubs and schools - but there is a simple way that needs just a stopwatch and a calculator (or maths geek) to provide approximate results. Start the stopwatch when the ball is released, and then stop it again when either the batsman hits (or misses) it, then divide 45 (or 72) by your answer to get your answer in miles per hour (or kilometres). For example, a delivery timed at 1 second has travelled at about 45mph (72kph). To break the magical 100mph (160kph) barrier, the clock must register at 0.45 seconds. Once you get used to working the timer, you will get surprisingly consistent results. I've found that standing at the back of the net, either directly behind or just to the side, gets the best results."

For an U13, 45mph is very gentle and any competent keeper will stand up to it. You will also get treatment from most district+ level batsmen if you stray remotely. The "quick" ones at district level, at least in my experience at East Devon, will be 55-60 minimum. Of course, depending on the level you play at, the pace is almost irrelevant - as Goughy has said, bowl quick and spray it and good batsmen will take you to the cleaners. Bowl slow and straight in weak club leagues and you'll take 6/6 and all kinds of daft figures...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Excerpt from my coaching section:

"Finally, we've got everything sorted out - so how fast do you actually bowl? Naturally, the best thing possible to use would be a radar gun - however they're not generally widely available to clubs and schools - but there is a simple way that needs just a stopwatch and a calculator (or maths geek) to provide approximate results. Start the stopwatch when the ball is released, and then stop it again when either the batsman hits (or misses) it, then divide 45 (or 72) by your answer to get your answer in miles per hour (or kilometres). For example, a delivery timed at 1 second has travelled at about 45mph (72kph). To break the magical 100mph (160kph) barrier, the clock must register at 0.45 seconds. Once you get used to working the timer, you will get surprisingly consistent results. I've found that standing at the back of the net, either directly behind or just to the side, gets the best results."

For an U13, 45mph is very gentle and any competent keeper will stand up to it. You will also get treatment from most district+ level batsmen if you stray remotely. The "quick" ones at district level, at least in my experience at East Devon, will be 55-60 minimum. Of course, depending on the level you play at, the pace is almost irrelevant - as Goughy has said, bowl quick and spray it and good batsmen will take you to the cleaners. Bowl slow and straight in weak club leagues and you'll take 6/6 and all kinds of daft figures...
    We self-taught players can only sigh enviously. If only I'd known that lot when I was a li'l'un.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post

There was a 17 year old who played for my club, hes now gone to the top club in Brisbane and is representing the QLD U17 team.

Our A Grade captain who went to the academy estimated his pace around 118-120. And this guy is 6'1, lean and muscular and has perfect technique.
    name?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Bowl slow and straight in weak club leagues and you'll take 6/6 and all kinds of daft figures...
    There's this guy who bowls on a Sunday for us. Just loops it, doesn't spin it or anything. Some weeks he'll get smashed for 30 odd off 4, other weeks he takes 2/3 wickets because batsmen are so desperate to smash it that they miss and get bowled or just play crazy shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    There's this guy who bowls on a Sunday for us. Just loops it, doesn't spin it or anything. Some weeks he'll get smashed for 30 odd off 4, other weeks he takes 2/3 wickets because batsmen are so desperate to smash it that they miss and get bowled or just play crazy shots.
    His deliveries sound a lot like the childish legbreaks from which W.G. used to reap such rich rewards.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    It's what I reverted to bowling last summer before my season was ended by my lack of correct wicketkeeping technique.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    They are the bowlers I get out to. It annoys me no end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Got out to one myself this season. It spent ages in the air, i ended up massively over thinking it and got in a right mess.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Shows the standard of batsmen us CW lot are. Just move your feet and swing FFS.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Play 'em off the back foot. They're that slow that it gives you so much time. Unless it's a right half volley, stay on the back foot and it leaves you with eons of time to place where you want to hit the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Play 'em off the back foot. They're that slow that it gives you so much time. Unless it's a right half volley, stay on the back foot and it leaves you with eons of time to place where you want to hit the ball.
    Haha, was just about to say that. No shame in being beaten to the punch by Big Mac.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    In the lower grades that sort of bowler generally seems to be far more succesful (with wicket-taking atleast) than a seamer of reasonable pace and quality.
    Because the batsman try to go after them, arent good enough and make a mess of it.

Whereas if you bowl an excellent outswinger on off stump at 65mph the batsman simply isnt good enough to nick it...and on the rare occasion he is the slips arent good enough to catch it.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    I've faced 140kph before. Surprisingly, I could see and follow the ball quite comfortably, but the reflexes were left behind somewhat.
    Was this facing a bowling machine or a bowler ?

I've found against the bowling machine the ball always seems to be somewhat quicker than it is because you always pick it up later, there is no hand to watch and keep sight of the ball it just pops out of the hole and you dont properly pick it up until a couple of yards later than if it were a bowler.
    Also where the bowlers arm is at release somewhat telegraphs the length of the ball and I reckon alot of batsman subconciously pick up on that, you dont get that with the bowling machine.

Have faced a bowling machine at 80-85mph and also a couple of seamers who are generally regarded to be around that pace and the bowling machine always feels way sharper to me.

Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    Was this facing a bowling machine or a bowler ?
    The former (and it seemed quite inconceivable at the time that anything other than a mechanised monster could launch 'em that quickly).

Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    I've found against the bowling machine the ball always seems to be somewhat quicker than it is because you always pick it up later, there is no hand to watch and keep sight of the ball it just pops out of the hole and you dont properly pick it up until a couple of yards later than if it were a bowler.
    There's an attractive thought; I might well have been facing up (intrepidly, of course) to the robotic equivalent of Shoaib.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information