• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st June - Group A - England v Bangladesh

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

srbhkshk

International Captain
England bowling isn't anything special, but that doesn't matter considering they pile up the runs.
Well it does, because the pile will end up being chased if you can't bowl well enough. As far as ODIs go the pitches across the world are pretty similar and the bowling recently failed to defend something like 350+. England should try to bat second as often as possible because the bowling might break in pressure.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Most teams are not going to chase down 350 though that often though. The top teams will - India, Australia and maybe South Africa (if QDK or AB play a blinder).

Other than that, 350 should still win you more than 50 % of your games which is what England need to qualify.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Looking at the squad I think we missed a chance to draft in Saifuddin. Pace bowling all rounder would have been nice in place of someone like Sunzamul. We already have Miraz so its a waste and also Imrul Kayes.

vs england

1. Tamim
2. Soumya
3. Shabbir
4. Mushfiq
5. Shakib
6. Mullah
7. Mosaddek
8. Miraz
9. Mashrafe
10. Taskin
11. Mustafiz
I doubt if Taskin gets a start considering Rubel Hossain doing well on the tour

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well it does, because the pile will end up being chased if you can't bowl well enough. As far as ODIs go the pitches across the world are pretty similar and the bowling recently failed to defend something like 350+. England should try to bat second as often as possible because the bowling might break in pressure.
350 has been scored batting first on 94 occasions.

350+ has been chased down 5 times, once against England and 4 times against Australia...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Spot on.

I was confused by Cricinfo listing 7 wins but 5 losses. Turns out there's 2 where the chasing team has scored 350 to win.

In fact 350+ has only been scored 10 times in the 2nd innings of matches.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Most teams are not going to chase down 350 though that often though. The top teams will - India, Australia and maybe South Africa (if QDK or AB play a blinder).

Other than that, 350 should still win you more than 50 % of your games which is what England need to qualify.
I'm not sure if India can chase down 350 all that often. They have only 8 scroes of 300 or more since WC 2015, the same as Pakistan and I would not trust the latter to chase down 280 often, let alone 300+.

There are three teams that can do it well and do it often, Eng, Aus and SA.

I believe the 3 main Asian sides are the weakest ODI sides from that part of the world I have seen in a long, long time.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England 20-6 and Bangladesh 22-6

Will be a true clash of the titans this one

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
England are going to destroy Bangladesh. I have never seen such a devastating batting line-up in a really long time. England can basically go from the word GO with the bat unlike Bangladesh. England bowling isn't anything special, but that doesn't matter considering they pile up the runs.
South Africa has a better batting lineup than England in spite of Duminy / Behardien. In fact, one can argue that India's batting lineup is better than England's although I'd reserve my judgement on that one.

srbhkshk

International Captain
350 has been scored batting first on 94 occasions.

350+ has been chased down 5 times, once against England and 4 times against Australia...
That was an example to show that England's bowling is a bit weak (and now that you've pointed out that it has been done only 5 times ever, it seems like a good one.) , not to claim that 350 has ever been or is an easily chaseable score.
England will not be hitting 350+ every match you know.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
South Africa has a better batting lineup than England in spite of Duminy / Behardien. In fact, one can argue that India's batting lineup is better than England's although I'd reserve my judgement on that one.
So the 0.4 per over difference in run rates over the past 2 years means nothing then?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That was an example to show that England's bowling is a bit weak (and now that you've pointed out that it has been done only 5 times ever, it seems like a good one.) , not to claim that 350 has ever been or is an easily chaseable score.
England will not be hitting 350+ every match you know.
No but batting first, recent history suggests they'll get to 300 much more often then not.

For the record, of the 487 scores of 300 or more batting first, only 65 times has it been chased down...

srbhkshk

International Captain
No but batting first, recent history suggests they'll get to 300 much more often then not.

For the record, of the 487 scores of 300 or more batting first, only 65 times has it been chased down...
Yeah but the same history also suggests that they will be conceding 300+ a lot as well, even when the other team is chasing.

The 65 / 487 stat is a bit misleading and is probably skewed by the test nations playing against minnows in ODIs. In the current flat pitches in ODIs and average English attack a chase of 300 is actually 55-45 advantage to the chasing side imo.

Now that I am at the end I am realizing I am not quite putting forward the exact point I'm making - Essentially what I'm saying is that even though 300+ scores used to be a moral sucking thing for the chasing team even 5 years ago, they don't have the fear factor associated with them anymore. Additionally since the pressure situation in an ODI game typically always develops in the second innings, England should try to have their stronger suite in action at that time.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
I think Bairstow might need to get the nod ahead of Roy. I haven't been Roy's biggest fan in the past but he picked up some serious form against India but since then has been plain bad. 1 fifty and 7 scores of less than 30...6 of which have been less than 10 I believe. Just not on and no reason why Bairstow should be kept out at his expense.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
England are strong favourites, but on the day, it's anyone's game. Don't forget, England lost to Bangladesh in the last 2 world tournaments. It will be a huge upset if England loses this.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure if India can chase down 350 all that often. They have only 8 scroes of 300 or more since WC 2015, the same as Pakistan and I would not trust the latter to chase down 280 often, let alone 300+.

There are three teams that can do it well and do it often, Eng, Aus and SA.

I believe the 3 main Asian sides are the weakest ODI sides from that part of the world I have seen in a long, long time.
2nd ODI: India v Australia at Jaipur, Oct 16, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

6th ODI: India v Australia at Nagpur, Oct 30, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

350+ has been chased down successfuly 5 times and India did it 3 out of those 5 times

Pretty sure they also have the most successful 300+ chases

Not sure where this "India are a weak ODI side" comes from.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
England are going to destroy Bangladesh. I have never seen such a devastating batting line-up in a really long time. England can basically go from the word GO with the bat unlike Bangladesh. England bowling isn't anything special, but that doesn't matter considering they pile up the runs.

I think there's a difference between being a 'better' batting line up and being a more 'devastating' batting line up. England is hands down the most aggressive, devastating batting line up. It's not that hard to see, if you go through their batting line up 1 by 1, Root is their slowest guy and even he can maintain 90+ SR. Roy, Hales, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, Ali are all capable of belting it. No other team possesses this many batsmen who can whack it at will.

This is not always going to work, conditions/oppositions will not always suit that tempo or that brand of batting but the ODI pitches in most parts of England, Australia, South Africa and to and extent India should be compatible in theory at least with this style.But this style of batting does come with a slighly higher chance of collapses when most of your top 6 have just 1 gear in their batting. So you will have a 138 all out or 153 all out on a few rare occasions.

But overall, when you look at lot of other factors, not just who can whack it the furthest, such as record in the last 3-4 years, performances across different conditions, I would rate India and Australia as better overall batting line ups simply for the fact that Kohli, Rohit, Smith, Warner are just better batsmen than Roy, Hales, Morgan etc.

I'll be interested to see the trends though..pretty sure there would be an upward trend in that 65 skewed towards post 2012.