• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

PY

International Coach
Cheers i wouldn't bid anymore than the 7 mill i have.
Don't forget you'll have to pay his wages too, I wouldn't go above 6m if I only had 7m to play with.

I thought he'd be stupendous, his ODI average is poor though you can't argue with a career average of 355 with ~9k runs.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Don't forget you'll have to pay his wages too, I wouldn't go above 6m if I only had 7m to play with.

I thought he'd be stupendous, his ODI average is poor though you can't argue with a career average of 355 with ~9k runs.
yeah i'll just see how things go.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Aviksha Malik £ 0 (opening price)
Plays for: White Knights Stamina: superb W/Keeping: worthless
Age: 22 years old Batting: exquisite Concentration: elite
BT Rating: 369,879 Bowling: worthless Consistency: masterful
Deadline: 03/02/2007 10:32 Fielding: miraculous

What do you guys rekon he'll sell for?
Hmm White Knights are in my league, did me smashing them in the first round lead to him leaving. Good news for me thats means in Div 2, next season without a fight unless i stuff up the NRR. White Knights were the only team that could beat me.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SP if possible, could you please tell me how far away Groves is from Mediocre Stamina :) ?

Lloyd Groves (893963)
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A steady player with competent leadership skills and woeful experience.

Plays For: Clapo's XI
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 8,275
Wages: £1,940 p/w

Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: woeful Concentration: woeful
Bowling: strong Consistency: mediocre
Fielding: woeful

Couldn't say without knowing when the bowling/consistency popped

Scaly piscine

yeah i'll just see how things go.
I wouldn't go for Malik personally unless he's really cheap, even when he plays NT his wages are costing you nearly 50k. If he gets superseded in the NT team then he's costing you over three million a season. You could train that other guy up to exquisite and you'd recoup the training costs in the very manageable wage, plus he'd be far more saleable in the future and his wage at exquisite would still be way less than 141k.

PY

International Coach
Bought a 17yo guy for 600k earlier. Resp bat, comp concentration & wage of £1,032 p/w.

Should fill another spot in the top order, couple of batting nets and a fitness net should sort him out til the end of the season.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Mmm someone like Malik in div V is overkill anyway, he averages 350 or something ridiculous.

PY

International Coach
Haha, it's crap, that's why he was going pretty cheap I reckon. Woeful so he'll be mediocre by the end of the season hopefully.

It's a win-win purchase really, he'll pop to prof in no time at all and I'll probably train until strong then re-assess if I can carry on training. If I can then I'll have a superb-prof ish 18yo bat or sell on when strong for 1m profit roughly.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mmm someone like Malik in div V is overkill anyway, he averages 350 or something ridiculous.
Muralitharan got him out for 118, he must not be that great or Muralitharan must be just that good. Looks like training a player up to elite conc might be a waste of time, as it puts of potential buyers and i doubt will make much of a difference.

If i was you Mike i would buy him, but you still wouldn't be able to beat him with him in your team. But TBH if i was you i would buy a gun batsmen and gun all rounder if you can, rather then spend all your money on one player. That way you have a gun bowler, batsmen and all rounder. If you get a really good keeper you have the basic four that should make you hard to beat.

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Muralitharan got him out for 118, he must not be that great or Muralitharan must be just that good. Looks like training a player up to elite conc might be a waste of time, as it puts of potential buyers and i doubt will make much of a difference.

If i was you Mike i would buy him, but you still wouldn't be able to beat him with him in your team. But TBH if i was you i would buy a gun batsmen and gun all rounder if you can, rather then spend all your money on one player. That way you have a gun bowler, batsmen and all rounder. If you get a really good keeper you have the basic four that should make you hard to beat.
There's no way you'd manage two guns for 7m. At best you might manage a superb allrounder and a superb bat with average secondaries.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
There's no way you'd manage two guns for 7m. At best you might manage a superb allrounder and a superb bat with average secondaries.
Don't remarkable go at 4 mil or something, you could get a remarkable plus a superb 19 yo, who you could train up to be remarkable plus. Looking at Mike it side having three or four really good (not great) players would make more sense then just two.

If you look at Malik old side, he had only Malik, plus a superb bowler and quality bowler. Cus he only had three good players he got regulated from Div 2 and even an average side like mine was above to beat him. If Mike goes all out for Malik, he might end down the same track.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
You could buy a couple of good players, sure, but not a gun allrounder and a gun batsman as you suggested.

Scaly piscine

Don't remarkable go at 4 mil or something, you could get a remarkable plus a superb 19 yo, who you could train up to be remarkable plus. Looking at Mike it side having three or four really good (not great) players would make more sense then just two.

If you look at Malik old side, he had only Malik, plus a superb bowler and quality bowler. Cus he only had three good players he got regulated from Div 2 and even an average side like mine was above to beat him. If Mike goes all out for Malik, he might end down the same track.

The reason the Malik old side was crap was because they spent most of their nets on Malik, they didn't just buy him after some other sod spent a crapload of nets on him. Anyway my point still stands about his wages being too high before anyone thinks I'm an advocate of buying Malik. Non-newbie teams can't create players like this:

3. Marvin Bertos £ 7,000,000 (opening price)
Plays for: Team Mullet Stamina: respectable W/Keeping: abysmal
Age: 21 years old Batting: exceptional Concentration: masterful
BT Rating: 104,847 Bowling: abysmal Consistency: superb
Deadline: 01/02/2007 7:09 Fielding: superb

Without it effectively costing them well in excess of 10m in nets and their concentration would end up being lower now anyway (at 50k a net, which is conservative because anyone who could buy the relevant YP in the first place (would be over 1m) could afford a strongish type low 20s-year old, spend one net on them for a while and make the best part of 1m in profit).

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Just purchased a 17yo competent bowler (crap secondaries) for a grand, just the type of player I've ben looking for, better than one of my previous trainees (was 19) so he's gone on a couple of bowling nets.

Scaly piscine

Adam or whoever do you have a decent estimate of the wage range for exquisite? I figure Summers is a fairly high exquisite based on comparisons (Pugh's wage is only another 27k despite being 2 bowling levels higher with secondaries that would be equivalent (in terms of wage) to Summers).

By the way Summers is ranked number 6 in the bowling rankings, Whitehorne 12th...

Status
Not open for further replies.