• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I still do believe in spreading the quality, but I think there's a middle ground between "uber players" and "evenness". Rayno had underperformed a great deal and I was never going to train him past remarkable bowling - by which point he'd only have respectable consistency, and I don't think that at that level, he'd be a very "long-term" player (or a good one, in any case). Johnston had stayed down at #6 while I trained him up, and at feeble stamina and 22 (?) years old, I couldn't see myself getting any more from him, and with Gray, Mcmillan & Bhutia already leading my batting, I thought I'd go nuts and sacrifice a bit of batting to get myself a gun bowler.

I was aiming for someone like Ashley Black - wonderful bowling, definite long term prospect - but then that crazy guy bidded 8mil and that was a bit too much to pay. So then the exceptional came onto the market - fit the bill even better than Black did - and make no mistake, Neil Mills can still bowl - but at strong/prof, the general quality of opposition batsmen was creeping up on him.

I personally don't think I've really gone down the "super player" path - Johnston was my 4th best batsman, Rayno was good on paper but performed terribly, and Mills is quickly losing his shine. Batting wise, I still have Gray, Mcmillan & Bhutia. Bowling wise, I have Mcmillan and will hopefully get this exceptional bowler, plus I've freed up net space to accomodate Mulholland, who will be a gun further down the track.

I also think that you NEED to have some gun players to succeed in this game (if you're planning for the future), and if I do buy this guy, he'll be able to cut it with teams in higher divisions, which is what I'm hoping most of my players will eventually be able to do.

RoMojo

Cricket Spectator
Kipper XI v RoMojo @ Trentington Oval

RoMojo: 3-255

Reeves 86
Came 66
Person 58*

Chambers 2-65

Kipper XI: 8-256 (48.1)

Brown 100
Brydon 36

Hedley 2-36

Don't know how I won that one, was 4-99 when Dove got out for 5.
Ahh ha! Good to 'meet' you! I suspect my bringing on of a med/res spinner (1-70) might have been my downfall, but I'm a bit short on talent at the moment :laugh:

May the rivalry continue - though I don't know if I'll manage to stay up this time around.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I also think that you NEED to have some gun players to succeed in this game (if you're planning for the future), and if I do buy this guy, he'll be able to cut it with teams in higher divisions, which is what I'm hoping most of my players will eventually be able to do.
Sounds sensible. Obviously, I'm a proponent of the "spread it around" system, and sometimes I do just wish I had a bowler who could blast away an uberbatsman or two.

I'm probably heading for an end-of-season re-jig myself, with a few upgrades planned - will probably end up flogging a Remarkable bowler and trying to get an Exceptional bat.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Well, life in Div II is pretty good so far...

Bowled Over CG have put themselves in to bat, and are currently 69/6 after 26 overs, on a greentop.

Gibb's current figures are 3-3-0-1. Not bad!

PY

International Coach
Sounds sensible. Obviously, I'm a proponent of the "spread it around" system, and sometimes I do just wish I had a bowler who could blast away an uberbatsman or two.

I'm probably heading for an end-of-season re-jig myself, with a few upgrades planned - will probably end up flogging a Remarkable bowler and trying to get an Exceptional bat.
Yeah, I don't disagree with getting the odd gun player but he's going to have 2 decent bowlers with a trainee who won't be good for a season and two lots of crap chucking Mr Kiplings which'll probably undo all the good work done by the decent two.

Anyway, my plan is to save up and get an all-rounder as soon as possible to augment my new players. I'm starting from scratch money-wise though so probably won't happen for a while and needs to be a trainee as only make 200k/week from attendances. I'm more interested in staying in my league so won't sell any of my good players to help.

4 of my bowling attack are on nets, and 4 batsmen so should improve slowly but surely.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year

I do think the "spread it around" system is a good one, but you don't want to spread it too thin. A core group of 5-6 players is enough to win you games for now. I also think it'll mean I can advance quicker, because rather than having say, 2 quality bowlers who will need replacing, I'll have an exceptional who won't need to be replaced for a looong time.

Yeah, I don't disagree with getting the odd gun player but he's going to have 2 decent bowlers with a trainee who won't be good for a season and two lots of crap chucking Mr Kiplings which'll probably undo all the good work done by the decent two.
Don't forget that I'm in IV, and my batting is fairly solid. I realistically only need to get 2-3 opposition batsmen out to get to the Resps if I want to bundle them out cheaply - or if they're unsuccessful, I'd back my batting to chase down most targets (but having 2 good bowlers means they'll limit the total to something chaseable). I don't think, at this stage, I need 5 good bowlers - if I have an Exceptional, all he needs to do is take a couple of wickets in his opening spell, and then Mcmillan will do the rest. Mulholland will be prof/med soon (possibly prof/comp, no idea about his cons), and as the season wears on he'll have more of an impact. I'm probably going to change my pitch to Cracked if I get the Exceptional guy, and Mullers will benefit.

Anyway, my plan is to save up and get an all-rounder as soon as possible to augment my new players. I'm starting from scratch money-wise though so probably won't happen for a while and needs to be a trainee as only make 200k/week from attendances. I'm more interested in staying in my league so won't sell any of my good players to help.

4 of my bowling attack are on nets, and 4 batsmen so should improve slowly but surely.
The reason I'm selling some of my "middle-band" players to buy a gun is because I think I've got a solid enough core group of players that it won't really have too adverse an affect on my side. But I agree with the last part - as long as they're improving and becoming genuine long-term players, you're on the right track IMO.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
This is going pretty well - 33/0 off 8, chasing 97ao.

Might even be enough see me installed (temporarily, no doubt) as the top team in Div II!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Won, even with my horrible extras count.

Melbourne CC XI - 235/10 from 49.5
Casper 95 (140)
Ballard 4/60 (10)
Hindle 3/47 (9.5)

lost to

Brackenhurst - 236/3 from 43.1 overs
Ndebele 94 (123)
Hindle 85* (98)
Read 30* (23)

Stoked with it, as they`re rated pretty close to me. Only possible for me to win 2 or 3 of my group matches, so I`m glad I did. :) All-round performance of Hindle had me smiling, his first go up the order (4) and he smashed it. Likewise Ndebele got his first chance up the order (2) and made the most of it, especially after Antonius failed. Bowling was a bit of a worry with the extras, and Wright going wicketless on debut sucked. But it was great to see Ballard take a bag after a poor start, even if it was just a BT collapse.

Halsey on Sunday. Will be close.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
All over - knocked off the runs in the 22nd over, for the loss of just one wicket. Perry got an unbeaten 50, and the MOTM award - easily the weakest of my four batsmen, he was under some pressure to perform in the higher division.

Match ratings suggest that it should have been much closer:

Code:
                [B]Bowled Over  Withington Wonderers[/B]
Top Order       Superb       Superb
Middle Order    Respectable  Respectable
Lower Order     Worthless    Abysmal
Seam Bowling    Superb       Quality
Spin Bowling    Exceptional  Wonderful
Fielding        Woeful       Feeble

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha yeah I saw that, comfortable win. The 'inhos having a good day it seems. Some pretty gun ratings there.. just need another gun batsman and you'll be set.

PY

International Coach
I ended up winning my game by 4 wickets in 47th over.

Ratings are steady if not spectacular:
Code:
		[B]Boggles[/B]  	[B]Boys of The Shank[/B]
Top Order: 	respectable 	proficient
Middle Order: 	respectable 	competent
Lower Order: 	abysmal 	abysmal
Seam Bowling: 	respectable 	competent
Spin Bowling: 	respectable 	competent
Fielding: 	feeble 		feeble
Happy with middle order but my top order is quite weak currently with a resp/resp, remarkable/strong and a strong/woeful.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Should be an easy win from here.

End of Over 37: 124-1, runrate=3.35, reqrunrate=3.38 (167-10)
Duncan 9-2-33-1
Gowshall* 8 (8 balls)
Fillery 57 (105 balls)
Last Wicket: Lea c. Ray b. Duncan 53 (FOW: 114/1)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I just beat a team with NT batsmen, Aviksha Malik on PAN :D

White Knights - 238 All Out

Malik (NT Batsmen) 118(93)
Jeithoon 3/46(9.2)
Muralitharan 2/40(10) - Including the wicket of Malik
Dowdall 3/41(9)

Jaffna Jets - 2/239(37.4)

Quintin 106(90)
Clayton 83(88)

White Knights Jaffna Jets
Top Order: superb respectable
Middle Order: woeful mediocre
Lower Order: woeful abysmal
Seam Bowling: proficient mediocre
Spin Bowling: mediocre competent
Fielding: feeble woeful

I was kind of expecting to win, but such an easy was a surprise. Really happy with the performances of Muralitharan and Quintin. Probably Murali best preformances against a half decent side and to get the wicket of Malik probably turned the match. Quintin first ever hundred, both are really starting to find their feet. Sishayi one of my other trainees also had his best game for us, 1/47(10), doesn't look great but first time his gone under 5 an over. Really happy with the compentent spin rating, a bit disappointed with the seam rating. They are probably the best side in my league, so we are looking quite good.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Interesting. Well, to me, anyway.

I've looked up today's match between the two teams that I expect to finish top of my league - highton and Inter Yerma. I've then tabulated their ratings, along with those from my match, against Bowled Over:

Code:
                [B]Bowled Over       Withington Wonderers[/B]
Top Order       Superb       10   Superb       10
Middle Order    Respectable   7   Respectable   7
Lower Order     Worthless     1   Abysmal       2
Seam Bowling    Superb       10   Quality      11
Spin Bowling    Exceptional  14   Wonderful    13
Fielding        Woeful        3   Feeble        4

[B] highton           Inter Yerma[/B]
Top Order       Superb       10   Exceptional  14
Middle Order    Strong        9   Competent     6
Lower Order     Abysmal       2   Woeful        3
Seam Bowling    Strong        9   Superb       10
Spin Bowling    Proficient    8   Strong        9
Fielding        Feeble        4   Feeble        4
I'm assuming highton TIEd or PANned, while Yerma GFIed. I PANned. Looking at the above ratings, and those of the other two matches, it looks like a fight between Yerma and me.

This time next season, I could be in Div I :blink:

Seriously though, we're only one match into the season, but I'm a damn sight more hopeful than I was yesterday :happy:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I learned a valuable lesson today.

Check you've picked the right man as your number 11 and opening bowler.

Got away with using Groves as 5th bowler in the cup, not so much luck with Stone :(

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Excellent, an easy win, predicted as much, but as it was my first league match I was still a bit nervous.

EDIT: Just found out it's the only other non-bot that I hammered today too, so I think I may be going up this year. Looking forward to playing Nath on Sunday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.