• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

aussie tragic

International Captain
On the “fake fielding” issue, there’s quite a good piece here which refers to the Labuschagne incident and also addresses the question of whether the penalty should be awarded if the fake is just in jest. Glad to see the MCC Laws supremo agrees with my take!
Seems like it's up to the umpires to decide. If the had penalised it would be correct, same as if they didn't penalize. Like DRS, Umpires call it is

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep. Room for common sense, and penalties for unfair play wouldn’t be appropriate where someone’s just having a laugh.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In days gone by England would graft out a 280-300 lead and the team batting fourth would not get very near. Completely different game these days. Far less predictable. Probably no fifth day pitch to worry about here. England "should" win...……………….

Jack1

International Debutant
Can't think of many opening pairings that would fancy opening up vs Cummins and Hazlewood in England tbf. Rory Burns has gone pretty well considering. The hundred he hit was streaky and no Hazlewood. But he's fought well overall is more what I meant.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Denly :o

Lyon’s been so poor, one game aside
Tbh Lyon being hit down the ground is a much better sign than last Test. It's when he gets hit square constantly on either side of the wicket that I get annoyed.

Bowling quite flat though.

Spark

Global Moderator
A bit academic now though. Early doors but I think England will win this game pretty easily from here.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Needed to take an early wicket to stay in the game, me thinks. Lyon start looks concerning though Denly's approach to him has often been OTT.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A bit academic now though. Early doors but I think England will win this game pretty easily from here.
You're only ever a wicket away from an England collapse, and Smith is batting for Australia. Until we have a lead of 600 I won't consider this one in the bag.

Spark

Global Moderator
You're only ever a wicket away from an England collapse, and Smith is batting for Australia. Until we have a lead of 600 I won't consider this one in the bag.
Yeah it's more a feeling than based on actual evidence. Just don't have good vibes about the general way Aus has approached this game at all, and I suspect the bowlers are either exhausted or soon will be exhausted.

Also frankly a moral sense that you do not deserve to make as many mistakes as Australia have made in this game from selection, the toss, catching, batting and bowling and still be in with a prayer of winning.

Last edited: