• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its probably a good thing Cunmins is so obviously busted and can’t bowl an outswinger given he’s the top ranked bowler in the world and averages about 22 in test cricket. If he still bowled 150kph outswingers he’d be averaging -8.
It's a shame how crap batting can make perfectly good bowling feel inadequate. The attack should remain unchanged.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Its probably a good thing Cunmins is so obviously busted and can’t bowl an outswinger given he’s the top ranked bowler in the world and averages about 22 in test cricket. If he still bowled 150kph outswingers he’d be averaging -8.
Cummins is a weapon, absolutely not questioning his ability one bit. But his preferred modus operandi these days seems to be to hit the deck, think he's better suited to first change in England at least

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What is completely marvelous about Cummins is his ability to extract bounce from even the deadest of surfaces. He was bouncing guys out on Indian dust bowls ffs. He'll probably get movement in South Africa like every other bloke who can bowl 130kph and above.

the big bambino

International Captain
Warner Harris Khawaja Smith Labushagne Head Paine Cummins Starc Lyon Hazlewood. This is about the best batting side atm ... unfortunately. We'll have to give the top 3 a spin again despite their woeful form. From 4 - 6 it actually looks fairly decent so i don't want to see Marsh weaken that and stink up no.6. I don't see where his bowling will offer much unless he's getting it to swing. Our bowling has been getting through their work without many problems thanks to England's own weak batting and our rotation policy. Plus we have Marnus capable of bowling 7 or 8 overs a day.

It'd be a joke if Hohns is hawking Marsh being a righthander as a qualification for selection. Didn't the selectors just pick 5 out of 6 lefthanders for Leeds? Didn't Langer defend that selection at the time saying you pick the best available irrespective how they take strike? Now all of a sudden a quota of righthanders are needed. Something that wasn't even a consideration for the last test is now a prerequisite for this one. The thing they should be considering is do they think Marsh will be able to bring his Derby form, where he was bopping slow straight breakers for six, to OT against Archer and Broad. Really they should know the answer.

wrongun

Banned
How does adding Marsh to any XI above under 12s make it stronger?
The logic behind that would be him eating up some overs to keep the other bowlers fresh. Otherwise his batting is pointless unless he pulls of an MCG 2017 which is most likely not happening.

Daemon

Marsh to have a decent game if picked imo. Been quietly doing a decent job in all the trial/warm ups.

wrongun

Banned
Past history dictates that this means absolutely nothing.
Past history also dictates that past history means nothing. You select based on your current situation , and right now Aus need a 5th bowler.

Why was Marsh picked in the squad to begin with is a different story. But you cant use past history as an excuse.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
To me Marnus Labuschagne and his leggies are handy enough to be a sufficient 5th option. Unlike Marsh pretty much ever, Marnus has actually shown that he is good enough at his primary skill to hold down a spot

TheJediBrah

Maybe it's just me but I don't mind MMarsh coming back at all. Yeah he's been terrible in Test cricket but he has it in him to play a monster innings like he did last Ashes, and reportedly this wicket will be relatively fast and bouncy and as long as there isn't excessive sideways movement it could really suit him.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I assume the thinking is that Marsh can do what Watson did in the past to allow Johnson to bowl really fast for 4-5 over spells, with Starc in the Johnson role now.

But Marsh is nowhere near as good as Watson at either discipline, and I don't know that Starc is at his best when striving for pace....

Burgey

Maybe it's just me but I don't mind MMarsh coming back at all. Yeah he's been terrible in Test cricket but he has it in him to play a monster innings like he did last Ashes, and reportedly this wicket will be relatively fast and bouncy and as long as there isn't excessive sideways movement it could really suit him.
The definition of stupidity is to keep making the same mistake and expect a different outcome.

Apart from his general lack of use, the upcoming match looks like being pretty heavily effected by rain. If that's the case, what's the benefit of his 8-10 overs per bowling day (or 2.5 overs per full day saved by each of the other bowlers in 15 degree temperatures)? He will likely not get much of a bowl, or even worse, Paine will bowl him in an attempt to justify his selection, and thereby allow England to make 80 instead of 65 in their first innings.

And if there's rain around, the ball is likely to swing and/ or seam, in which case his batting is as useful as a marzipan dildo.

It's a no-brainer. There is no way he should play in this test. There's really no way he should ever play again, unless it's at home ot the UAE and the forecast is for 45 degrees so they need as many bowlers as they can get. Otherwise, papers should be marked. He makes Khawaja seem like a player for adversity, he's that bad.