• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think in Cummins' case he's setting himself as our long term all weathers, all wickets bowler. No. 1. So he has to start playing the long game for the benefit of his career. I suspect he's still able to touch 150ks but why damage your body when you can be as successful as he has been operating in the 137 - 145k range? I think Pattinson is restricted by his injuries meaning we only have one man left who can bowl 150+. I agree he has to play now. At this stage of a tight series you are looking for players to give your side a boost. England got it with Archer and had Anderson coming back until setback with today's news. Its now Australia that's looking to upgrade its 3rd test team with the return of our best batsman plus an injection of our express bowler.
I'm not entirely sure about that with Cummins. I remember he seemed to slow down during the 17/18 Ashes and it seems that he's tweaked his bowling action a bit between his comeback in India and now. Seems very much like Pattinson in not being able to put in 100% without an unacceptable injury risk

Sadly I think you may well be right. I love watching Patto bowl but with all the injuries he isn't as terrifying as he once was. Similar story with Cummins to a certain extent, but the loss of his outswinger is also part of the story there
I saw Cummins bowl one conventional outswinger towards the back end of the Lord's test and I hoped that he'd remembered it existed. Must have been accidental.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Though the inclusion of Marsh would lessen the workload of the Aussie bowlers, I don't see him making any tangible impact with the ball.(tbf I would have said the same about Pandya last year before he took 6 in an innings) and if the likes of Khawaja, Warner and Wade are struggling to score I don't see a man with a 25 batting average making any greater of an impact (quite telling that this part of his game is considered his strongest suit.)

Does the Australian pace attack even need an extra bowler to lessen the workload? It doesn't take long to bowl England out these days, plus you've always got decent spin overs from Labuschagne if you get desperate. The only time it has been a problem has been in the freak fourth innings at Headingly where the fast bowlers were very evidently drained. Yet on another day they would have still won that game.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We deserve to lose the Ashes if we're picking Marsh. FFS, what are they thinking?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Would even contemplate the thought unless a meteorite strike the earth and wipes out half the side.

Have far more in Wade than MMarsh with the bat, and I'm no Wade fan

aussie tragic

International Captain
I was a huge supporter of Wade playing but with 3 Tests he's had his chance. He averages 8 outside of his very chancy 100.

I think the following appears much stronger than last Test:

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Mitch Marsh should not be in the squad, it should be Patterson. He is a waste of space, no where near good enough with either the bat or ball at test level. He is a mediocre FC all rounder yet because he is a Marsh he gets love from the establishment and now might selected again.
Whether Wade should be selected is a different issue, but certainly he should not be replaced by Marsh.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
I was a huge supporter of Wade playing but with 3 Tests he's had his chance. He averages 8 outside of his very chancy 100.

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood
It is much stronger because of Smith, nothing to do with Marsh being in the side.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Wade is gone no matter what. Think of it more as who would you prefer between Harris or Marsh. I'll take Marsh for his extra bowling with the same batting ability.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Wade is gone no matter what. Think of it more as who would you prefer between Harris or Marsh. I'll take Marsh for his extra bowling with the same batting ability.
At 6, Mark Cosgrove just scored a county century, I would select him a head of Marsh. Marsh is no where near good enough bat to be in the top 6 of the test side.

Patterson should have played the first test ahead of Wade, the selectors made a huge error in leaving Patterson out of the squad. Selecting Bancroft ahead of Burns was another error.

Harris should be opening if Wade is going to be dropped.

Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Labuschagne
Head

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact that Hohns is saying Marsh being right handed counts in his favour is just absolutely dreadful logic. It just reeks of them wanting to shoehorn him in for any reason, no matter how tenuous

stephen

This is the problem with issuing a single "trial" match to pick your squad and my earlier anger at the non selection of Patterson and Burns has shown to be entirely justified. It's ridiculous that now that Wade is not quite making the runs expected of him the only middle order option left is Marsh.

We should only make one change to the side - Harris out for Smith. The loss in the third test has selectors jumping at shadows. It was not a failure of the bowling that England had the best batting conditions, nor was it a failure of the bowling that Stokes played the innings of his life. The strategy was right and the execution was almost perfect. If the ****ing umpire had have given the Lyon lbw do you think we'd have made these changes?

stephen

Also, Warner is going almost entirely unnoticed and yet is not scoring any runs at all. He's living on reputation at the moment. How long does he get?

stephen

Also his good spells have tended to be in the textbook unlucky-looking zone i.e. a yard too short. Good player but purely on his performances so far he's been much closer to Siddle than to Cummins or Hazlewood.
Dunno what game you've been watching. Pattinson has been genuinely unlucky, not bowling too short unlucky.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Also, Warner is going almost entirely unnoticed and yet is not scoring any runs at all. He's living on reputation at the moment. How long does he get?
He did score 61 in the first innings of the last test match in difficult conditions but over all he has not been good enough. However when the alternatives are Harris and Bancroft he gets a lot of time. He is a rarity, a proven good quality test match batsman. Smith and, Khawaja to some extent, are the only other two we have, Labuschagne seems to have come good but needs to keep it up in the medium term.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood
Haha. This is literally the XI i predicted as soon as we lost the last Test. Seems really predictable.

Spark

Global Moderator
Dunno what game you've been watching. Pattinson has been genuinely unlucky, not bowling too short unlucky.
He's been both tbh.

Re: Wade, I probably wouldn't drop him but who knew that a guy who scores something like half his runs with the square and cover drive is struggling in England?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's been both tbh.

Re: Wade, I probably wouldn't drop him but who knew that a guy who scores something like half his runs with the square and cover drive is struggling in England?
I would drop him but not for Marsh.

Not looking forward to all the talk about how unlucky he is again though.

Burgey

I'm not entirely sure about that with Cummins. I remember he seemed to slow down during the 17/18 Ashes and it seems that he's tweaked his bowling action a bit between his comeback in India and now. Seems very much like Pattinson in not being able to put in 100% without an unacceptable injury risk

I saw Cummins bowl one conventional outswinger towards the back end of the Lord's test and I hoped that he'd remembered it existed. Must have been accidental.
Its probably a good thing Cunmins is so obviously busted and can’t bowl an outswinger given he’s the top ranked bowler in the world and averages about 22 in test cricket. If he still bowled 150kph outswingers he’d be averaging -8.

Burgey

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood
How does adding Marsh to any XI above under 12s make it stronger?