• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Siddle plays the target looks more like 260 than 360. Also hard to argue that Australia weren't bowling tidy enough.
Yeah, Pattinson was bowling a bit short when I went to bed last night, but I assumed we'd revert to normal fairly quickly and pick up some key wickets. Turns out we didn't, and England must have batted well to avoid too much damage through to the end of play. Certainly sets up today to be very interesting. But I don't want interesting, I want a ****ing rout that involves the last 7 wickets falling in 15 balls.

Heboric

International Debutant
Stokes innings starting to remind me of the Better AB innings in Adelaide in the same match where Faf stonewalled.

Woodster

International Captain
We’ve seen it many times before where a side chasing a highly improbable target offers more hope overnight after a solid start to the innings, only for that hope to dissipate rather quickly at the start of the next day. We’re certainly prone to a collapse of this nature and would be surprised if there was much optimism around at lunch today. Sincerely hope I’m wrong and heroic performances are made today!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia home and hosed to wrap up a top day after winning two meat trays at the club today.

How good are meat trays? Truly. It’s like winning powerball.

Burgey

Yeah, Pattinson was bowling a bit short when I went to bed last night, but I assumed we'd revert to normal fairly quickly and pick up some key wickets. Turns out we didn't, and England must have batted well to avoid too much damage through to the end of play. Certainly sets up today to be very interesting. But I don't want interesting, I want a ****ing rout that involves the last 7 wickets falling in 15 balls.
He bowled really well later. Tbf they all did, though Haze the stand out. Looked like getting a wicket every ball.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I missed a lot of it after midway through the middle session. How did Australia bowl so well without wickets? Has the pitch eased up or England played sensibly well?

Burgey

Bit of both and a bit of luck (which you need on this deck anyway, not a criticism of them). Root and Denly batted really well and the deck was the best it’s been. Very dry though so it’s probably rag a fair bit more today. Couple kept lowish later in the day but nothing too alarming. Just a day of actual good quality test cricket with an even contest between bat and ball for once this series

morgieb

I missed a lot of it after midway through the middle session. How did Australia bowl so well without wickets? Has the pitch eased up or England played sensibly well?
From my understanding it's both.

Think execution would be harsh if England chased it down. It would be kind of unprecendented for them to chase it down without the opposition bowling poorly though so Australia probably have to panic in the interim.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He bowled really well later. Tbf they all did, though Haze the stand out. Looked like getting a wicket every ball.
I only saw his first 3 overs I think. When I saw what had happened overnight, I was a little worried we might have lost some sting, but if we bowled well for the most part, I feel a bit better about our chances this morning. Am pretty nervous about how we'll go, even though common sense says we should still win. I'm back at work tomorrow and would like to see it over by lunch.

Spark

Global Moderator
Both. Had a little luck too, although not as much as was required on Day 1 to survive.

Woodster

International Captain
To hell with pessimism/realism, we’ve got this!! Joe Root make yourself an absolute hero!! Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler, Jonny Bairstow.....time to step up and keep this Ashes series alive!!! Get stuck into into this Aussie attack, let’s have some fight, some verbals and show what this Ashes means!!!!

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
This feels a bit like the Adelaide chase from the last Ashes, where England gave themselves a chance on the 4th day then collapsed on the 5th morning. Of course that's so often the case with these big chases, where a side puts themselves in a seemingly promising position to ultimately still fall someway short. Think England probably need to get to lunch with Root still in and a maximum of one other wicket down if they're to do it. That will mean the new ball is mostly got through and the target is under 150.

morgieb

Not letting up at all. England win this it has a case of being the most remarkable batting innings.