• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any England or Australia Fans Who Don't Enjoy The Ashes?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's just been so incredibly predictable.

Johnson aside there's been nothing exciting happening in the Ashes for ages now, not just in terms of series results but also in terms of individual performances.

Daemon

What would be unpredictable is if you made an insightful and original post.

On that note, you have been awarded 5 Nixons for "Repetitive posting".

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Johnson aside there's been nothing exciting happening in the Ashes for ages now, not just in terms of series results but also in terms of individual performances.
Smith?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm kind of both, and yes and no.

I enjoy the Ashes outside of CW because suddenly everyone I know is a cricket fan and has watched part of or at least followed the games I watched, and can have a chat about it.

I don't enjoy them for two reasons. Firstly because the group above who usually don't watch the cricket is suddenly not only really invested but also has really **** opinions borne of not watching the previous games, and secondly because CW goes from a place of amusing banter and serious analysis to serious banter and "amusing" analysis. We get random ****s who haven't posted for two years coming back to troll, and some of my favourite posters making fools of themselves. I hate that.

Above all this I do usually enjoy the actual cricket though.

Last edited:

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
Before I had the internet I used to enjoy a bit of sledging banter with Australians I met ...But broadband has pretty much blown all that for me . I've trudged round the toxic swamp of the Ashes and I'm bored to tears of it. Sledging is supposed to be sharp and funny and I don't see too much of that in the wider internet discussions, more like childish taunting than anything . I don't think I've seen a decent cricket discussion on the BBC comments for years...not for long anyway :D .

vcs

You don't get the casuals on here though. Following the World Cup on here was quite fun.

vcs

Come to think of it, we had them during the World Cup as well. Surely the "only World Cup knockout/finals performances matter" brigade are the ultimate casuals?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Stuart Broad at Trent Bridge 2015 says hi

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2015 had lots of fun things from an England fan point of view and 13/14 was horrible but compellingly so. Suppose it was only the last series that was really poor but we have not had a great one for a while.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The final scoreline makes it seem otherwise but 10-11 at the time was an absolutely great series.

Brisbane - Aussie dominated and then 517-1
Adelaide - England better throughout but went to the last day and if the Aussies had hung on another hour they’d have got a draw thanks to the rain
Perth - Another poor batting display from the Aussies first up got us all excited and then the Perth usual, and Mitchell Johnson, happened

So we went to Boxing Day on an absolute knife edge. Obviously two sessions in that was that and the urn was gone but even then, Sydney had a couple of days where it promised to be close with Oz looking to tie the series before everything went England’s way again

Easy to look back at series like that and think it was a walkover because of the three innings wins etc, but really it had all the ebb and flow you look for in a Test series.

Granted I am astonishingly biased but.

So I’d say that was the last great one.

The 2013 one that was here wasn’t bad mind you. Trent Bridge and Durham both nail biters. & the somewhat manufactured end to The Oval was an absolute thriller.