• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia have to be favourites now. And I cannot see England winning the Ashes is Anderson if out for the rest of the series (which given it sounds like the same injury, looks quite possible)
We will still win, that Aussie batting line up is shocking apart from Smith. We aren't a one man team you know.

Spark

Global Moderator
Australia have to be favourites now. And I cannot see England winning the Ashes is Anderson if out for the rest of the series (which given it sounds like the same injury, looks quite possible)
I won't call Australia favourites in an English Ashes series whilst either of Anderson or Broad is there.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
I was going to say that unlike us England has spare bowling, but Root would have bowled better than Stokes here.
My thinking was more along the lines of - Root and Denly can't do any worse than Ali - so England could have got in an extra quick for some variety (Stones - given that Archer isn't fit) - or at least golden arm Curran as an extra bowler that would have strengthened England's batting line-up no end.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pressure now on Woakes and Broad to deliver.

I'd play Sam Curran instead of Archer
I think Archer is way more likely to take a big stack of wickets. If the shine goes from the ball Curran has practically nothing.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I won't call Australia favourites in an English Ashes series whilst either of Anderson or Broad is there.
Probably just me under-rating Broad because he's looked off the boil lately. Did look on today though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Probably just me under-rating Broad because he's looked off the boil lately. Did look on today though.
Broad pretty much always looks "off the boil" in the months before the Ashes. Then the Ashes rocks around and suddenly he looks beastly again. It happens pretty much every time.

Broad has usually been a better Ashes performer than Anderson overall anyway imo.
Yeah I made this point in another thread yesterday

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I said in the Road to Ashes thread that we wouldn't see much of Anderson this series given his injury and all the Tests being played in a heap. Hopefully he hasn't gone already.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Broad pretty much always looks "off the boil" in the months before the Ashes. Then the Ashes rocks around and suddenly he looks beastly again. It happens pretty much every time.
It's annoying as hell too.

Interestingly since 2010 Anderson and Broad's Ashes averages are fairly close (30.34 vs 29.41). If you exclude when Broad missed 2010 and Anderson took wickets in the wettest Australian summer in 37 years and you go since 2013 it's 31.98 vs 28.09. Hmm...

Actually, just remembered how catastrophically bad Broad was last series. That he was automatically given the new ball during that was dire.

Last edited: