Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Road to the 2019 Ashes

International Debutant GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Good year last year, was well aware of that, but he got injured and hasn't showed the same sort of form since his return.

Then again, you were a Marnus Labuschagne fan long before anyone else here, with how well he's been going recently I probably shouldn't question your judgement.
    Allegedly banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Usman probably figured he could use the zing bails to deflect the ball over the fence
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    IIRC when Stone made his debut in SL he was bowling 82-86 mph sort of pace, much to everyone's surprise. Will be interesting to see what happens if he gets a go against Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodAreasShane View Post
    Good year last year, was well aware of that, but he got injured and hasn't showed the same sort of form since his return.

Then again, you were a Marnus Labuschagne fan long before anyone else here, with how well he's been going recently I probably shouldn't question your judgement.
    Aha! I'm actually still on the fence on Stone - I'm not convinced I would have picked him myself but he seems to have a knack for taking his wickets quickly and I believe a lot of them are 'good' wickets i.e. bowled, lbw, caught behind.

How well this translates to higher levels is anyone's guess but they obviously see something.

U19 Cricketer
    Stone won't be there when Archer and Wood are avaliable again

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Only if you want to lose 4-0
    You're thinking of losing while Im thinking of ways for Australia to win. You went in with 6 batsmen...7 if you include Haddin in 2013 and still lost 3-0. Aus as well as go for the jugular by exploiting England's weakness.

Australia's weakness is its batting and you don't double down on your weakness. Skittle England out for low/lower totals and stay in the game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    not really yapping up Harris, just yapping down Burns. I've seen multiple people saying something along the lines of "Surely Burns should be the obvious choice, look at his average, hundred in his last game etc." which is pure ignorance regarding the circumstances of his runs.

I watched the whole innings of his 180 against SL last Test, it was not inspiring. Very friendly batting track, he gave plenty of chances and the bowling attack was easily worse than any Shield attack that would have ben trotted out that summer.

I'm just trying to urge people think a bit more about what they're looking at, especially when it comes to stats. And yes I do think Harris should be given a bit more of a run before he's discarded entirely, he was one of our best players last summer against a very strong Indian bowling line up and has utterly dominated the Shield for the last few years.

Also not sure what you mean by this
    This is a very good post and proves some of my ideas regarding Burns wrong. As I previously mentioned, I'd rather go with Bancroft too...I like his abilities to see off the new ball and offers something different to Warner. My concern with Harris is more his mental make up where I noticed him throwing away his wickets during the India series than his technique. I don't mind his technique, its his ability to focus for long innings after his initial graft that is the concern. With Burns, the 100 vs SL was on a road in Hobart vs Medium pacers...agreed there. Either way, this will be an interesting conundrum. Who would you slot in at 3 if Uzi isnt fit?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    It's just absurd, isn't it?

Burns averages in the 40s in Tests, and is the Test incumbent who peeled off 180 in his most recent innings.

Harris averages in the low 30s, and got out the same way regularly during the Summer.
    Yea Harris scored some tough runs against Bumrah and Co. Cannot be discounted. The value of runs isn't in its sheer numbers. You are dumbing it down. Circumstances, conditions and bowlers faced have to be taken into account. Your arguments would be massacred in baseball where advanced metrics are used.

International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    To all the people dismissing Burns 180 vs Sri Lanka because it was on a road, please remember Australia were reduced to 3-28 in that innings and Harris was his opening partner scoring 11 (with Khawaja 0 and Labuschagne 6).
    Last edited by aussie tragic; 18-07-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    Justo likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    To all the people dismissing Burns 180 vs Sri Lanka because it was on a road, please remember Australia were reduced to 3-28 in that innings and Harris was his opening partner scoring 11 (with Khawaja 0 and Labuschagne 6).
    AHH YES! do you think his mental make up has improved and was reflected in that innings....or was it just him surviving that earlier period?

International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Considering Burns had undiagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome for the entire 2018/19 season, maybe he just got 10 hours sleep the night before
    wrongun likes this.

Banned
    So Archer and Wood are out of the first Ashes test as mentioned elsewhere. Good opportunity for Australia to capitalise. If they win the toss and bat first, grind it out a bit and get a decent Toal on board.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    The gist of the argument I'm thinking of is reflected in that innings, where Harris cut the ball straight to point. The fact is Burns may be technically weak but he can go on and get a big innings. Harris can be relied on to throw it away (by being loose outside off) practically every single time.

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    This is a very good post
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    The gist of the argument I'm thinking of is reflected in that innings, where Harris cut the ball straight to point. The fact is Burns may be technically weak but he can go on and get a big innings. Harris can be relied on to throw it away (by being loose outside off) practically every single time.
    Harris definitely has his issues, but he's shown in the Shield that he can really buckle down and bat for long periods. His immense 250* last season was against a much better attack than Burns' 180 against SL. Neither are perfect options but Harris has a higher ceiling and more likely to do well in the Ashes IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    agreed

Harris definitely has his issues, but he's shown in the Shield that he can really buckle down and bat for long periods. His immense 250* last season was against a much better attack than Burns' 180 against SL. Neither are perfect options but Harris has a higher ceiling and more likely to do well in the Ashes IMO.
    I know you're not associating the two together necessarily, but having a higher ceiling and being more likely to perform well in the ashes are two seperate things. I wouldn't select someone based on a higher ceiling but simply on their ability to tackle a bowling attack in those conditions. I'm sure selectors also look at consistent patterns or lack thereof in mindset. Anyways time will tell.

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    I know you're not associating the two together necessarily, but having a higher ceiling and being more likely to perform well in the ashes are two seperate things. I wouldn't select someone based on a higher ceiling but simply on their ability to tackle a bowling attack in those conditions. I'm sure selectors also look at consistent patterns or lack thereof in mindset. Anyways time will tell.
    Yeah I'm aware of that I think Harris has both a higher ceiling, and is (slightly) more likely to do well in the Ashes. More than anything though I was just pointing out why looking at "Burns Average 40" and "Harris Average 30" is not a valid comparison.

I don't expect either of them to set the world alight though. Would prefer Bancroft if I had my way.

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread Information