• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Fans - how is this series shaping up compared to 06/07 and 13/14?

TNT

Banned
Tbf you and TNT are just as bad as each other re. the one-eyed patriotism
Whats so bad about supporting your team, what would be the point of playing cricket if we were all neutral, there would be no barmy army, no more atmosphere at the matches, no banter just a boring match where players played on like zombies.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Tbf you and TNT are just as bad as each other re. the one-eyed patriotism
I do not believe I am the most vociferous tubthumper of Captain Root's Army - not by a long measure! I mean heck, Adders was arguing with me over pelting abuse at the Barmy Army!

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't be arsrd to scroll through 5 pages, so am I the first person to say this is more like an entirely different ashes series? Not even and England fan but the haplessness of the touring party, the correlation between experience and inability to step up when it counts except for one work horse fast bowlers has strong shades of 2002-3.

Spark

Global Moderator
Can't be arsrd to scroll through 5 pages, so am I the first person to say this is more like an entirely different ashes series? Not even and England fan but the haplessness of the touring party, the correlation between experience and inability to step up when it counts except for one work horse fast bowlers has strong shades of 2002-3.
Yeah 2002-03 is the better comparison IMO, although this Aus lineup is obviously not nearly as strong (save for the bowling)

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I do not believe I am the most vociferous tubthumper of Captain Root's Army - not by a long measure! I mean heck, Adders was arguing with me over pelting abuse at the Barmy Army!
Lol, yeah dunno where Brah gets that idea......you're the least one eyed patriot on here I reckon. I've often thought you actually hate England and revel in their failures (I put it down to you being practically Scottish tbh)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whats so bad about supporting your team, what would be the point of playing cricket if we were all neutral, there would be no barmy army, no more atmosphere at the matches, no banter just a boring match where players played on like zombies.
Hey man I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, I indulge in it myself plenty at times

Lol, yeah dunno where Brah gets that idea......you're the least one eyed patriot on here I reckon. I've often thought you actually hate England and revel in their failures (I put it down to you being practically Scottish tbh)
I may have got that a bit wrong then, basing it mostly on Kennedy's rampant anti-Australian grumbling over recent weeks. Maybe he just hates everyone equally . . .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Did I really just read that Warner and Lyon are better than any opener/spinner England have had in the last fifty years? :laugh:

TheJediBrah

Did I really just read that Warner and Lyon are better than any opener/spinner England have had in the last fifty years? :laugh:
Not sure if anyone's saying that but the point that was made was that even if you don't think they are, they're clearly not far off, which if you actually read the context of the comment and what it was responding to was a very sensible point to make.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if anyone's saying that but the point that was made was that even if you don't think they are, they're clearly not far off, which if you actually read the context of the comment and what it was responding to was a very sensible point to make.
I don't know how possible it is to compare Warner to Boycott anyway; such different types of players, and also such different playing conditions. Maybe suffice to say that each could play innings that the other could only dream of. As for spinners, judging Swann on how he went in 2013/14 is about as sensible as judging Jason Gillespie on how he went in 2005. Anyone who knows anything would tell you that they were both way better than in those series. Whether that makes Swann better than Lyon or vice versa probably comes down to which country you're following, I suppose. Underwood just about makes the last 50 years too, of course.

Not that I'm accusing you of making any of those comments btw, just chucking a few thoughts into the discussion.

TheJediBrah

I don't know how possible it is to compare Warner to Boycott anyway; such different types of players, and also such different playing conditions. Maybe suffice to say that each could play innings that the other could only dream of. As for spinners, judging Swann on how he went in 2013/14 is about as sensible as judging Jason Gillespie on how he went in 2005. Anyone who knows anything would tell you that they were both way better than in those series. Whether that makes Swann better than Lyon or vice versa probably comes down to which country you're following, I suppose. Underwood just about makes the last 50 years too, of course.

Not that I'm accusing you of making any of those comments btw, just chucking a few thoughts into the discussion.
I don't have a strong opinion either way on whether they are better or worse. I know **** all about anything that happened last century anyway. But the only thing that really matters in the context of the discussion is whether or not Warner and Lyon are comparable or competitive if you were to compare them, which I think they objectively are.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adders, and be honest here, do you have an accent?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
:shutup:

I do Fred......It's a bit of a messed up accent really, but when I'm drunk it comes out full English.

And Kennedy ftr I don't say things like strewth or fair dinkum.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Adders I bet talks Alf Stewart English, ''ye mongrel' and 'strewth sheila'.
There are few things worse than an Aussie bogan accent, but I reckon that sounding like you've come off the set of Geordie Shore or Byker Grove would certainly be one of them :ph34r:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
There are few things worse than an Aussie bogan accent, but I reckon that sounding like you've come off the set of Geordie Shore or Byker Grove would certainly be one of them :ph34r:
Bet you have one of those hats with corks on and drive a ute?