• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

91Jmay

International Coach
Rashid isn't that far off Moeen as a bat, but he also isn't that much better as a bowler. Both are pretty weird players. Probably number 7s with the bat and 5th bowlers which is not what we need with really.

I'd have been pretty ****ing angry if Jimmy played. Would have been a senior player running roughshod over the selectors for me, as clearly Anderson is the only person who thinks he should be playing. Edgbaston likely to be his last home Ashes test then.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I found this a weird idea. How do our club cricketers feel about matches/seasons where they were a bit toss but the team won anyway?

Genuine question ftr
I suspect it depends exactly how close you are with your team-mates, but for me it was more or less always about the match result in the moment after game and then more individual as the week wore and I looked at the game more objectively. On Saturday night after the game I cared a lot more about how we did as a team than how I did personally, but by the time Thursday rolled around I was obsessing over my own performance.

As someone who was primarily a bowler the worst thing was games played over two weeks where we'd bowled first, got flogged around and I'd taken no wickets. Getting myself interested in the second week of that game was sometimes pretty difficult (personal failure + very likely loss).

I don't think my club cricket experiences really translate well to Test cricket though because I wasn't actually trying to make a living out of it. I'm sure not relying on playing well to earn a living makes being a selfless team member a lot easier.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rashid isn't that far off Moeen as a bat, but he also isn't that much better as a bowler. Both are pretty weird players. Probably number 7s with the bat and 5th bowlers which is not what we need with really.
The problem is there's no-one in County cricket that looks remotely what we do need. FFS, I'm a huge Moeen fan-boy, but if we has another Swann, I'd want him out of the sideimmediatly.

Is there one England bowler that could bowl long economical spells and be a controlling influence in Tests. I mean Tredders was the other one to play, Monty is **** now, Kerrigan has never seemed to recover. In the end the Beard has proven he turns the ball and can get good bats out, maybe Rashid could do the same, but he's likely to go for just as many, he's not exactly metronomic.

Ansari and Borthwick are similar-type players too.

If anyone mentions Gareth Batty I might cry.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There seems to be an inexplicably genuine belief among some Australians that their pitches are the only ones in the world that are not 'doctored'. As though hard, flat wickets just occur naturally like trees
To be honest even replying to the guff in that article gives it more credence then it really deserves.

The whinging and sanctimony is nothing new though, goes back nearly 90 years.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Takes his test wickets at a better average than Harris too ftr..............must mean he's the best Aussie quick since McGrath then since statsguru says so.
Is that you marc? Gotta be one of the most hyperbolic posts I've read in a while.

The only thing that's saved us from losing this series is a Smith double. With that reasoning the bowling doesn't matter.
Fantastic logic that. Shame it's been so prevalent of late.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I found this a weird idea. How do our club cricketers feel about matches/seasons where they were a bit toss but the team won anyway?

Genuine question ftr
If I've been doing quite well in recent weeks, or am just usually quite good respective of the rest of the team, I tend to not really care about my own performance if we win. If I've been toss for a while though I can get a bit down even if we win, feeling I've not really contributed. I guess Lyth would probably fall in the latter bracket. Not really sure about whole seasons.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Outstanding.

The 2009 comment is glorious. We had a slow road at Cardiff, the typical Lord's road, Anderson took 5 day 1 at Edgbaston (and we lost about 2 days to rain), and Leeds was a greentop. The only track that was remotely prepared to suit Swann was the Oval, and it was Broad who won that Test.
day 2.

Your post is now invalid

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I genuinely don't know what you're trying to respond to here...?
Was just being silly. I agree with you.

The selectors don't care about balance in the bowling and by ruling out Haze they have few options. I understand them wanting to look at Cummins since he is fit, has talent, has been in cotton wool and it's a dead rubber. I can't imagine Siddle playing so MJ might try to play more of a run saving role.

Compton

International Debutant
Was just being silly. I agree with you.

The selectors don't care about balance in the bowling and by ruling out Haze they have few options. I understand them wanting to look at Cummins since he is fit, has talent, has been in cotton wool and it's a dead rubber. I can't imagine Siddle playing so MJ might try to play more of a run saving role.
Good old consistent, metronomic MJ.

He bowls nice and straight, he bowls nice and straaaaaiigght...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Straight swap with Rashid coming in for Ali imo. As others have said he's going to have to play in the UAE so get him in there. I just don't get why he hasn't played before, he's more chance of taking wickets, and just as good a bat down the order as Ali.

In Asia I'd bring Rashid in for Bairstow, bat Ali at 5 and Rashid down the order.
Hang on. In one breath you say that Rashid is just as good a bat as Moeen and then in the next you say that if they both play you want Moeen at 5 and Rashid stays at 8?

Rashid is definitely benefitting from the not being in the team overrating thing at the moment.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia having a cry about pitches is nothing new. Thought this was the best part:

Three-day Test match, how do you reckon I’d assess (the wicket)? Words would get me in trouble here,” Lehmann said. "Finishing in three days is disappointing for the crowd more than anything else."
Maybe it'd go longer than 3 days if you'd be able to get more than 100 in your first innings and your batsmen weren't ****ing **** HTBs.

Also, thank god for Chris Rogers. WAG

“England can do whatever they want and we can do whatever we want, but that’s the way it’s going to go.

“You’re going to tailor the conditions to help your side. It’s up to the other sides to adapt and get better

Last edited: