Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Walk or not walk

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    So why don't you get to stand your ground when you know you've hit it into your pads and he gives you lbw?
    Not sure what your point is with that. It has nothing to do with my post you've quoted.

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    So why don't you get to stand your ground when you know you've hit it into your pads and he gives you lbw?
    Walking before an umpire makes his decision is completely different to opposing an umpire's actual decision.

If you wait until after an umpire has given you not out, and only then walk, you're an utter prick for undermining the umpire. Same as if you stand there having smashed it into your pads. Sure, you're hard done by, but you're an utter prick for undermining the umpire.
    indiaholic and nightprowler10 like this.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    With the DRS as it is there's no place for walking. When you have no reviews left it's a result of poor tactical play - if you review often in an attempt to get every possible wicket, you're running the risk of losing them. You had the option to be 'defensive' and save your reviews for a sure thing, but you didn't. So when a batsman stands his ground it's not outside of the game any more - it's the opposition punishing poor tactics.
    Yeah I definitely agree with this though. DRS changes it entirely.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Because you're wrong, unless you're playing in a Test match against anyone other than India and you have a review left

"there's no place for walking". What a weird ****ing statement.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricketer Of The Year
    DRS changes nothing from a moral point of view - ie whether you're happy to cheat or not. It changes everything from a tactical point of view, but I didn't think that was the point of the original question.

Not walking isn't cheating any more than appealing for an lbw when you know it's sliding down leg or appealing a caught behind when you know it clipped his leg.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by Compton View Post
    Not walking isn't cheating any more than appealing for an lbw when you know it's sliding down leg or appealing a caught behind when you know it clipped his leg.
    This is exactly the point. In my first post on the matter I said I as a batsman will walk when I know I'm out if you as a bowler don't appeal when you know I'm not. Both are cheating/gamesmanship, and pretending that forcing the umpire to make a decision in either case is respecting him is nonsense.
    indiaholic likes this.

International Regular
    With the DRS as it is there's no place for walking. When you have no reviews left it's a result of poor tactical play - if you review often in an attempt to get every possible wicket, you're running the risk of losing them. You had the option to be 'defensive' and save your reviews for a sure thing, but you didn't. So when a batsman stands his ground it's not outside of the game any more - it's the opposition punishing poor tactics.
    Wouldn't say there's no place for walking, if that's where your moral compass points and you do it straight away - no issue in it. Some live by the edict that what goes around comes around, some believe in karma, some believe in honesty, whatever. In theory there isn't, just as in theory your 100th run is as beneficial as your 22nd, and you shouldn't labour any harder for either.

But no possibility of agreeing more that there's no forgiveness given to anyone who cops a poor decision with reviews lost. There's no way for the ICC to produce jurisdiction to guard against egos and hail mary's with reviews, so team cop it sweet if they get it.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Every panto need a villain. Blokes like Broad or Warner are easy to dislike and become he focus for disgruntled fans. Nevill has just started his international career and seems a pretty unobtrusive sort of bloke.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    "there's no place for walking". What a weird ****ing statement.
    Especially coming from a countryman of the Proclaimers ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    This is exactly the point. In my first post on the matter I said I as a batsman will walk when I know I'm out if you as a bowler don't appeal when you know I'm not. Both are cheating/gamesmanship, and pretending that forcing the umpire to make a decision in either case is respecting him is nonsense.
    Nah I disagree. In the club cricket I've played we pay the umpires good money to stand their and officiate. Therefore they should make a decision. If a batsman has nicked it I don't expect him to walk off till the finger is raised. There is nothing wrong with expecting an umpire to do his job.

That's not his point. His point is that if you choose not to walk, fine. But don't act like you're choosing not to walk for the good of the game in general or for the respect of the umpire.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

International Coach
    Yeah I've never heard an umpire thank a batsman for not walking, but I've heard plenty thank a batsman for walking. The whole "respect for the umpire" thing is a laughable argument. Anyone who buys it should chat to some actual umpires and see what the vast majority see as more respectful. And as Fred says, walking after an umpire has already given you not out is a very different thing from walking before he has made a decision.

LT also has a fair point regarding bowlers who appeal knowing it's not out, which is equivalent AFAIC. Fielders claiming catches when they know it's hit the ground also falls into this category but for some reason is looked upon far worse.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

I've not once framed it as being about respect for the umpire. I just don't think it's right for players to be making the decisions for him.
    ​63*

Come on Lancashire!
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information