Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Who is really to blame for England's batting collapses post 2011 in test series?

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar

Who is really to blame for England's batting collapses post 2011 in test series?

Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Cook has made 6 fifties and counting without going onto a century iirc
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Messrs Johnson and Harris, pretty much.
    Son Of Coco likes this.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Cook has made 6 fifties and counting without going onto a century iirc
    Not much better from our four number threes: Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Yes I'm blaming you Jimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Messrs Johnson and Harris, pretty much.
    Doesn't explain the collapses against Pakistan. And Sri Lanka. And the West Indies. And South Africa. And India. And New Zealand.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Doing their best to maintain tradition IIRC

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    The answer is clearly Shane Watson, ftr.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Doesn't explain the collapses against Pakistan. And Sri Lanka. And the West Indies. And South Africa. And India. And New Zealand.
    Could we just pretend I actually read the thread title before I posted my semi-smart arse one liner and say that I was using "Messrs Johnson and Harris" as a synecdoche for all the quality bowlers they've faced in those series?

Breakout Champion!
    Jonathan Trott.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Graham Gooch??

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Could we just pretend I actually read the thread title before I posted my semi-smart arse one liner and say that I was using "Messrs Johnson and Harris" as a synecdoche for all the quality bowlers they've faced in those series?
    This is a very un-third-gear comment, tbh.

Still though, good batsmen should be able to score runs against good bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    It mostly stems from the fact where 1) each batter is kinda assigned a specific role to perform. 2) And trying to find the players who will play in a way that will fit the system that is currently existing. 3) Obviously world class attacks make it difficult.

In regards to 1st point, even when Eng are winning under flower there was this stupid idea about first 3 defending, and next 4 attacking etc. Once the so called defenders started to fail, middle order started playing a "no where game" of defend or attack. Losing Collingwood really ****ed them, especially when collapses happen. During 06 - 08 KP-Colly used to do a lot of rescue acts. Now no one in the middle order really got any clue on how to play.
    2nd point is the worst aspect of Flower's reign. Of all the players that picked under Flower only Trott was there for any length. For whatever reason they started treating international team as football club, which is extravagantly stupid. Instead of selecting best batsmen and build team, they decided to have a blue print of batting and try to search who fit in those rules,and the problem is the best batsmen available are not necessarily the one that fits the so called system.

Long story short, the main reason for collapse is middle and lower middle order simply forget how to rotate strike. I miss Colly.

Probably the batsmen.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Pretty sure it's me. I put money on us to beat Pakistan which inevitably jinxed us - or so my betting history would have be believe.
    The bowlers did their best to ensure a positive result and so the only way natural order could be restored (that being me never winning any money ever) was if the batting collapsed in a heap. The damage has been irreversible basically and just when there were shoots of recovery i.e. Ian Bell batting in the summer just gone - I went and wished for Mitchell Johnson to bowl well and look how that turned out.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Gotta be mental or team factors. I've seen absolutely nothing technically wrong with the English bats that haven't been there for many years.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information