• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st ODI at the MCG

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nick Knight calls the selection 'radical' to Cook's face. Slightly different to how he was labelling it in the box. Man up.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Hales, Wright, whoever are all ****. They'd average 20 as an opener and be gone within a year. Hales game as a whole has regressed over the last two years. Root and Cook both look unable to hit the ball off the square right now so you might say could they do any worse at present and that's probably true but Hales and Wright definitely are not the solutions. And Pietersen wouldn't help either although he'd b better than Hales and Wright obviously. He's been awful in odi cricket for a long time now bar one good series in UAE where Cook led the way.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hales, Wright, whoever are all ****. They'd average 20 as an opener and be gone within a year. Hales game as a whole has regressed over the last two years. Root and Cook both look unable to hit the ball off the square right now so you might say could they do any worse at present and that's probably true but Hales and Wright definitely are not the solutions. And Pietersen wouldn't help either although he'd b better than Hales and Wright obviously. He's been awful in odi cricket for a long time now bar one good series in UAE where Cook led the way.
I don't know why you get that impression. Wright and Hales both had good domestic seasons in your one day comp last year and are both currently in form playing in the Big Bash. Clearly your top order needs a player with some aggression in it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I much prefer Root as a finisher to a top order player. The issue is that dismal bowling attack though. Three best seamers aren't playing and we've shortened the bowling options in order to stack the batting.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well the format has changed but it doesn't feel any different

Broad's back later in the series right?!
Well, hopefully. A bit worrying that Cook casually mentioned in the interview with Nicholas Verity that he's being treated for a knee complaint tho. Frankly if he's not there I'd rather not run the risk of properly breaking our best bowler.

I honestly have no idea why anyone thinks that Boyd Rankin is good enough to play out here.
Looks as if he has fitness and testicular fortitude problems to me.

Nice lad and all, but the best quicks all seem to have more of the devil about them.

Him jumping ship has managed to weaken two ODI sides. Played, selectors.

What sort of pace has Bresnan been bowling today?
High 70s. Topping out at 80mph. Not fit for me.

Why isn't Pietersen playing these ODIs?
Well. Good question really.

Even if Flower and he aren't bessies, Gilo has always been (by repute) something of an advocate of his.

Cook sounds like he's gonna cry
Should do a Denness and drop himself. Poor chaps just not there at the moment, is he?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
1. Cook
2. Carberry
3. Bell
4. Stokes
5. Morgan
6. Root
7. Bopara
8. Buttler
9. Broad
10. Tredwell
11. Finn

For me.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I much prefer Root as a finisher to a top order player. The issue is that dismal bowling attack though. Three best seamers aren't playing and we've shortened the bowling options in order to stack the batting.
Tbf, it's the same structure as last series. It's just I think we all see less reason to stick with it

5th ODI: England v Australia at Southampton, Sep 16, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
2nd ODI: England v Australia at Manchester, Sep 8, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was on an aeroplane for the 2nd innings of that 5th match

No relevance to anything but it's cold and miserable so I like to hark back to my golden late summer

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, note the "certainly" part. Warner and Haddin, for example, are two I'm really uncertain on. But if I was told the following team was lining up, I wouldn't be that upset:

Watson
Hughes
Clarke
Bailey
Smith
Voges
Wade
MJ
Starc
Harris
Lyon
Your bowling attack looks great but McKay and Faulkner should be included.Your batting is weaker than the batting that lineup in this first match though.Imo the team that lineup is great Starc and Johnson in for Coulternile and someone else( I can"t decide who)..Maxwell, Warner, Finch and Watson are all very quick scorers.Bailey and Clarke are both quality odi bats.Aussie look the best odi team.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia looking fairly decent 12 months out from a World Cup. Any time you can field a guy at #8 who averages 45 at 115+, that's alright.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If Finn is in such a bad state then why is he in the squad. We've seen that just spending time with Saker and co at the nets isn't helping, so get him away to play some cricket.